hummm patche 4, I need your opinion

I went from "beyond overlord" to "battle of normandy v4"
that I immediately adopted !!!
I discovered the criticisms concerning the defects of this engine without being able to judge, having never tested version V3
However, I found that basically the players from Italy and Red Thunder were complaining about the new engine's reactions.
Battle of Normandy seeming less affected

I find the behavior of pixeltruppen rather reliable and I quite like having to manage the winds of pannic that can sometimes cross the groups. So I'm afraid that the correction does  transform my pixeltruppen into a robot, or  they behave  like the Legion in Camerone.
I think I'm not the only one to play this way
so the question is i should you download this patch ?

Wait until you have a chance to read the patch notes which should be forthcoming soon. Along with the change to unit behavior, there are also tweaks to rates of fire and minor changes to various units such as correcting faulty mortar carriers to name but one of these.

You need not patch unless you are playing a PBEM with someone who has. Otherwise, if it's not broken for you - there's nothing to fix.

At worst, if you already have to all-in-one installer - you can always try it and revert back if you feel that you need to. It should be as simple as running the v4.0 installer...

Edited by Howler

@Falaise I think you should absolutely download the patches for all games you own.

The thing with the broken "retreat" behavior was that good troops in good positions (trenches, foxholes, etc...) would flee from safety to dangerous open ground regardless of the conditions. Even an inaccurate light mortar barrage could trigger this behavior. Now, troops can still flee, but in logical conditions.

Also, you have to consider the broken firing patterns of allied LMG's. Depending on the scenario, an American or Commonwealth player could find himself without any automatic firepower beyond 150 to 200 meters. Now Brens and BARs happily let it rain!

Also keep in mind that the two behaviors mentioned totally broke some scenarios/campaigns, leading to some puzzlingly lopsided victories.

Edited by Xorg_Xalargsky
forgot a thing

I much prefer having my troops "cower" as they did when the game was originally released, than running out into enemy fire in a blind panic as was happening with engine 4 before the new patch.

And, of course, I'm glad that I am now able to use BARs and Brens properly again.

Edited by Warts 'n' all

6 hours ago, Howler said:

Wait until you have a chance to read the patch notes which should be forthcoming soon. Along with the change to unit behavior, there are also tweaks to rates of fire and minor changes to various units such as correcting faulty mortar carriers to name but one of these.

You need not patch unless you are playing a PBEM with someone who has. Otherwise, if it's not broken for you - there's nothing to fix.

At worst, if you already have to all-in-one installer - you can always try it and revert back if you feel that you need to. It should be as simple as running the v4.0 installer...

The patch notes have been released:

PATCH NOTES:

TO&E and Formations

* Luftwaffe Jäger Battalion short of platoons

* QB force selection US infantry the FO appears with the label "Glider"

* British QB infantry-only Motor Battalion corrupted

* Sturmartillerie Brigade Begleitgrenadier armament

* Incorrect Stens in CMFI replaced with Thompsons

* Use of SVTs now radically reduced in some cases (CMRT)

*Ammo load outs for vehicles in CMFI corrected

Bug Fixes

* FIXED: Units are suppressed by small arms fire outside of range and directed 180 degrees away from them

* FIXED:  MG42 LMG is 258% more lethal than the Bren LMG and the B.A.R.

* FIXED: Poor accuracy of SPG-9 and enormous PG-9 HEAT ammo dispersion     

*FIXED: SPG-9 deployment/pack time too big

*FIXED: SPG-9 OG-9 HE ammo has incorrect (reduced) firing range

*FIXED: US antitank teams always fire AT4 before using Javelin

*FIXED: Unit Exit Bug in PBEM mode

*FIXED: Major changes to the TacAI to better handle the use of cover when under heavy fire

*FIXED: Units placement on the bridge bug

*FIXED Soldier pathing badly off course

*FIXED: Fixes from various different game releases consolidated and combined to be the same for all games

* FIXED: Various crashes and other small bugs fixed

Art/Model Fixes

* M4A3 Sherman 105 (early) model issues corrected

* M4A3 Sherman 105 (Mid) LOD issue

* Small fix for Valentine turret

* SPW 250/3 (Neu) distorted / wrong machine gun texture

* Crewman's head pokes through hull when unbuttoning JpzIV

* .30 cal MG firing location offset from the firer

1 hour ago, domfluff said:

"* FIXED:  MG42 LMG is 258% more lethal than the Bren LMG and the B.A.R."

Curious what that actually means.

Giving a precise percentage sounds like it's referring to something like (more) excessive fire rate or extra ammunition.

LOL that was probably the title that was entered - might even have come from these boards. The bug fix for Brens and BARs is that they no longer fire single shots and are back to firing bursts. I think that is the bug this entry is referring to.

If not then there was some other fix I guess but also know that they fire in bursts again - rejoice.

2 hours ago, domfluff said:

"* FIXED:  MG42 LMG is 258% more lethal than the Bren LMG and the B.A.R."

Curious what that actually means.

Giving a precise percentage sounds like it's referring to something like (more) excessive fire rate or extra ammunition.

It's the literal title of the bug report I submitted to BFC. Charles apparently cut and pasted it when making the patch notes to save time. The number is just a comparison of how many dudes each weapon could kill in 60 seconds in the particular test scenario I ran.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

I downloaded the patch
I tested it playing "roadblock" that I always use to do my tests, it serves as a stallion
and there big problem, the American and German units which fold back do it while precipitating towards the adversary.
I repeat the test and systematically the problem appears !
As soon as a squad is located adjacent to a passage in a hedge as soon as it undergoes losses it rushes in the passage and is found to discovered
the test was done only on "roadblock"
Your turn to try

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:34 PM, Falaise said:

Thank you for these first opinions
if I can easily remove the patch, my problem does not arise:
just try... and keep the configuration that I prefer

over the long term that will be difficult to maintain.  You can certainly keep the installers for various builds, you can even have multiple builds installed at the same time.  Matching opponents if you want a pbem though may be difficult and you will have to maintain saving the different installers as the BF download will always be the latest.

1 hour ago, Falaise said:

As soon as a squad is located adjacent to a passage in a hedge as soon as it undergoes losses it rushes in the passage and is found to discovered
the test was done only on "roadblock"

This is exactly the type of AI behaviour -  experienced in other scenarios -  that stopped me playing BN for past two years, assuming it would be fixed by the patch! 😕

31 minutes ago, The Steppenwulf said:

This is exactly the type of AI behaviour -  experienced in other scenarios -  that stopped me playing BN for past two years, assuming it would be fixed by the patch! 😕

I am in a pbem right now.  I had a team take fire.  They suffered a casualty and the turn ended.  On the following turn I checked what they were going to do, they had a fast retreat through a gap in exactly the direction I would have wanted them to go.  I changed the ending point on the move and let it go.  on the next turn they completed the move as desired.

@Falaise can you provide a save of that turn for it to be reviewed?

I did not make backup I shot pictures.
but as the behavior recurs as a unit retreats I will redo a game and save it
I even had a hedge to hedge fight and everyone who suffered losses retrait to find themselves in the same field in the  middle
I had before exeptionnely this type of behavior but never in a systematic way
it's as if each camp and programmed to fall back toward the opponent
Could not the problem be related to the scenario

One thing that is important to check is what information the squad has on what is firing on them - if they don't have contact markers from the firing squad, they won't know where they're being fired from, so the decision process seems to be "this place isn't safe, get to alternative cover", as opposed to "get out of LOS from what is shooting at us", which they will otherwise do.

That doesn't mean that what you're seeing isn't a problem, but it may not be the full story either, and it can produce counter-intuitive results. Combine that with some occasional wonky pathfinding (that you'll find in any game with pathfinding), and it can create some frustrating situations.

7 hours ago, Falaise said:

Could not the problem be related to the scenario

Might be worth looking at it in the editor to ensure the Friendly Directions are set correctly.

I've been bocage fighting all week and I've not seen one single instance of this behaviour.....If I do I will report it here.

Where you can report bugs in the new patch, a few appeared.
CMBN:

- pioneer section of 8 people who occupy two tiles, a blast order tearing down the bocage we also have two tiles as for the order of movement.                                                                   Demolition is random one of the tiles but 3 loads are consumed with 6 remain 3, the next demolition worn 2.
  When sharing the demolition section it looks ok only demo charge is divided 6-0, 4-2 but never 3-3.

Next bug

CMBN, CMFI

when you load a map in a scenario editor, a crash is very often, it never happened.

The behavior of the panicked infantry, crew is also strange, running towards the enemy, which location is known to them.

I made a backup
on a third try and again problems

190509065530704242.jpg

general situation, you can notice on the right the Germans who moved to the US troop before raising their hands

190509070111770105.jpg

now observe the panzerschreck team on the left
he gets shot
190509070402648794.jpg

one of the 2 is hit
the second decides to flee

190509070700533073.jpg

no !
not this way !!

190509070856137566.jpg

bad choice!

I have the backup how to send it?