Is there a CM that covers operation Barbarossa?

You're just a bit too late it seems. I just checked the new CM store website and it appears the old CMx1 game engine games are no more. You might be able to find a copy of it on Amazon or somewhere but I don't know if it'll run on any of the current operating systems. Not many sixteen year old computergame products still kicking

Just so you know, the Eastern Front family will will cover Oct 44 through the end of the war in it's next module, but BFC has said in the past that they plan to eventually get around to modules that cover everything from 41 on.  Hopefully, that will come to fruition over time.

In fact, MOS:96B2P just quoted Steve from BFC in 2013 in the Roadmap thread in this subforum:

The Base Game establishes the start time and the theater. For Red Thunder we're going to start June 1944 and go through to May 1945.

The Eastern Front Families are basically divided up this way:

#1 = June 1944 - May 1945 Red Thunder

#2 = June 1943 - May 1944

#3 = June 1942 - May 1943

#4 = June 1941 - May 1942

Edited by Vergeltungswaffe

I wish that the first CMx2 Eastern Front game had been set during Barbarossa. Although I understand the logic of having it set in 1944 given the fact they already had the German equipment from Normandy done.

And John, you don't have to say sorry, we were all newbies once.

Edited by Warts 'n' all

JohnLondon125, just jump into 1944.  There's a lot of work to be done!  Fighting as the Russians is really fun, though most folks in the west  would not think this.  And the Germans have some great gear, panthers & tigers -- though these are vulnerable by 1944 to T34-85s.  and by the time you are finished with that there will probably be more new content, and you also have Normandy & Italy to fight your way through.  It'll keep you busy for a long time.  Every time I get impatient for new stuff I remind myself that I haven't even finished the content I already have.  I just need to win the lottery so I can retire and have time to do all this.

I really miss ROQC (RobO's Quick Campaign Generator for CM:BB and CM:AK).
CMBB:
http://cmx1mods.greenasjade.net/mods?author_id=20&game_type=3

CMAK:
http://cmx1mods.greenasjade.net/mods?author_id=20&game_type=2

That was what kept me with CMx1 Until CM:BN came out.  I wish that system could get updated to work somehow with CMx2 engine.  Core units with a 'Campaign" layer are the dope man.

Edited by Blazing 88's

30 minutes ago, Blazing 88's said:

I really miss ROQC (RobO's Quick Campaign Generator for CM:BB and CM:AK).
CMBB:
http://cmx1mods.greenasjade.net/mods?author_id=20&game_type=3

CMAK:
http://cmx1mods.greenasjade.net/mods?author_id=20&game_type=2

That was what kept me with CMx1 Until CM:BN came out.  I wish that system could get updated to work somehow with CMx2 engine.  Core units with a 'Campaign" layer are the dope man.

Yep, I remember that I played an H2H-campaign (Nordheim) for CMBO, which was just awesome. It took us about a year to finish, but it was time „well spent“.

10 minutes ago, StieliAlpha said:

Yep, I remember that I played an H2H-campaign (Nordheim) for CMBO, which was just awesome. It took us about a year to finish, but it was time „well spent“.

I just used it against the AI and had a blast.  Finished battles in a session or two sometimes a lot longer, depending on the size of the size of my core units obviously.

Edited by Blazing 88's

My system ASUS p6t , intell core I7 975, two AMD 7850's "crossfired", and I have two hard drives that I have set up for multi boot to Windows 10, 7 or XP.

Its getting long in the tooth but it plays all my games well. I still play all my CMx1 games on it usually booting into XP, however I can run them in WIndows 7 with "minor" graphical issues,

e.g. some buttons don't show up until i "mouse over" them, but the games are playable. I have not tried CMx1 on Windows 10 yet.

I really wish they would put up the CMx1 games for sale again. I have no idea why they would take them down from their store. They're great games and still work just fine for me on Windows 10 after a bit of fiddling. I still have my original CDs for CMBO and CMBB. My CMAK CD seems to have gotten lost over the years though which made me very mad. As much as I like the CMx2 engine, there are still some things about the CMx1 games that are handled much better than CMx2 even after all these years.

6 hours ago, Bozowans said:

I really wish they would put up the CMx1 games for sale again.

You can get CM:BO on GOG but not the others unfortunately despite people asking for them in the past. I have all three CM1 games on an anthology CD that I got really cheap. Looking at the second hand asking price of this it might be the only possession I have that has appreciated in value. Though I can't see any codes on the box, but maybe they don't need them. Then again, chances are I will never install and play them again.

On 11/6/2018 at 11:46 AM, Offshoot said:

You can get CM:BO on GOG but not the others unfortunately despite people asking for them in the past. I have all three CM1 games on an anthology CD that I got really cheap. Looking at the second hand asking price of this it might be the only possession I have that has appreciated in value. Though I can't see any codes on the box, but maybe they don't need them. Then again, chances are I will never install and play them again.

I quickky checked on Amazon. You can get all CMx1 titles there. Though for CMBB, they have mostly the (European) CDV version.

• 2 weeks later...

Johnlondon125,

If you get CMBB, you can fight Barbarossa to the end of the war, using not just Germans but their allies, too. Was fortunate to be able to play a Beta (?) Demo of it at Actor's house before the Beta Demo was released online. Back then, the Demo was before, not after, the game release, building up demand, enthusiasm and excitement. In the case of CMBO, the delay in game release forced BTS (what BFC used to be called) to release additional Beta Demo scenarios because we had played the original ones to death and the audience was extremely restive and clamoring for either the game or new scenarios. The new scenarios bought BFC the time to finish the game, which revolutionized computerized wargaming. CMBB came after that and provided perhaps the most extensive, broadest and deepest wargaming capabilities ever fielded. There will never be another CM equivalent, for the work and cost would be astronomic and would, if feasible, put a tremendous hit on BFC by removing the ability to segment WITE coverage via a whole series of games--presuming we're still alive when the first Eastern Front CM games for early war finally arrive!

Regards,

John Kettler

Johnlondon125,

If you do get CMBB, see if you can find a copy of the CMBB Strategy Guide, too. It is a veritable encyclopedia of AFVs, artillery, small arms, soft skins, tactical aircraft and more. Even has aerosans! Has the complete breakdown of firepower scores (discrete bullets NOT modeled in any CMx1 game, only shot, shells, bombs, rockets and such) for every unit type in the game, from every combatant. Strongly recommend young eyes, great vision or some sort of magnifier, for the tables are dense and the print tiny.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 3 weeks later...