Tanks crossing Train Tracks

1 hour ago, Kozlice said:

If that's our PBEM, there is no way around the track (goes across the map). I do wonder where he went :D

Haha yeah it's a disaster behind that smoke!  Lol, haven't been that pissed off in CM in a long time.  

You will see that with both tanks and infantry re terrain, that they choose "the path of least resistance" rather than your waypoints, often with disasterous effects. The only way I know of how to deal with it is to plot many short waypoints rather than one long path. Same goes for crossing hedges, fences and walls.

2 hours ago, sburke said:

It is a slower path. Could simply be the TAC AI deciding you wanted fast then let’s use better terrain.  

Hmmmm, sometimes the tanks seem to expose their soft belly, when crossing tracks. I always wondered if that would make difference. Does anybody know about lucky shots in such situations?

Edited by StieliAlpha

Just now, sburke said:

Just for clarification, are you crossing the tracks or following?  If crossing I have never had an issue with that. Could be something else like underlying terrain. 

Crossing.  They eventually found a spot to go over, but the part I tried to fast move over was tracks over a pristine concrete road.  :D

I don´t know if tracks are own tiles in the editor or placed "over" other tiles but when you select a movement order and go over the specific track tile you want to cross with your mouse does it show a yelllow/red striped cursor which stands for impassable terrain, thats how I judge if vehicles can do the job.

Edited by MANoWAR.U51

On 5/31/2018 at 4:31 AM, Bulletpoint said:

I never really understood why tanks drive so slowly when going over train tracks in this game..

Ditto.   I also don't understand how after 1000's of hours and maybe even a 1000 CM games, I don't recall ever crossing over train tracks with a tank.  :D To say that I was shocked when it failed is an understatement.... because I had thrown a HUGE smoke screen in front of 2 panthers aimed directly down the tracks, so I was trying to get over those tracks with 3 shermans, and 2 deuce tons as quickly as possible.  The rage was real.

On 5/31/2018 at 4:31 AM, Bulletpoint said:

I never really understood why tanks drive so slowly when going over train tracks in this game..

In real life, so as not to crack a torsion bar or break track linkages when the road wheels snap back.  The rails are a raised surface; the rail-bed slopes away from them.  A tank needs to ease over such things if you don't want it's suspension to fail.

On 3.6.2018 at 8:24 PM, Badger73 said:

In real life, so as not to crack a torsion bar or break track linkages when the road wheels snap back.  The rails are a raised surface; the rail-bed slopes away from them.  A tank needs to ease over such things if you don't want it's suspension to fail.

You may add, that tracks are a fairly high strength obstacle, with a fairly tiny surface area. I.e., the tank tracks, wheels and mechanics get a huge point load while crossing such 3 or 4 inch wide „razorblades“.

15 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

You may add, that tracks are a fairly high strength obstacle, with a fairly tiny surface area. I.e., the tank tracks, wheels and mechanics get a huge point load while crossing such 3 or 4 inch wide „razorblades“.

In the pic the tank is crossing those "razor blades" at a high angle to maximise surface area in contact with them.  Your theory may be correct.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

In the pic the tank is crossing those "razor blades" at a high angle to maximise surface area in contact with them.  Your theory may be correct.

Well, I am mechanical engineer, building 600tons machines which travel on rails. So, yes, my idea may have a fairly solid base.😎

I, too, found it remarkable, how the guys try to aling the tracks with the rails. I would describe the same in a method statement. Good engineering practice. And good to see that not all is just theory.🙂

In game the tracks should just slow movement down with a small chance of bog as I recall.  Whether the vehicle crosses the tracks or not I suppose would depend upon the layout of the tracks.  If the tracks went all the way from one end of the map to the other with no break then I can't see why the vehicle would choose a different path since it would be impossible to avoid crossing the tracks.  If the tracks ended or turned near where you were trying to cross them I suppose the AI might choose to go around the tracks instead of over them.  Without a screen shot or at a minimum the name of the map if a QB or scenario title there really is no way to know one way or another what was going on with the situation being described.  It does sound odd or out of the ordinary though.  Perhaps there is some odd or prohibited terrain along the path chosen that is in the vicinity of the proposed crossing point that is affecting the movement path rather than the exact point where the path crosses the tracks and so the tracks might not be causing the path alteration but rather something else nearby might be instead.

16 hours ago, Erwin said:

KABOOM...!   That put me in my place.   :blink:

No worries. I am well aware that not everybody is an engineer. And living with an engineers reputation is not always easy. You know Scot Adam‘s „Dilbert“ cartoons? They describe our short comings frightenly precise.😱😎

Edited by StieliAlpha

18 hours ago, StieliAlpha said:

...You know Scot Adam‘s „Dilbert“ cartoons? They describe our short comings frightenly precise.😱😎

big whoop. my lifes a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon. Just like the comic Hobbes is in my head :D