Wanting to get into this game, help required

Hello guys,

Thought I’d throw this out to the group. As the title suggests,I want to start playing this having got into the game via CM:BO plus the sequels. The issue is a need to get a new computer as all I have at present is a 2016 laptop. The problem I have is I’m not sure what to get. I read the recommended system requirements and they are so basic. However looking through here people have i7s with 16gb ram and 2 gb graphics. I know very little about computers but I don’t want to pay £500 when maybe a £200 setup would do.

Would say a 3Ghz core 2 duo system with 4gb ram and a 1Gb nvidia graphics card run this game well? I’m not after 4K display and 30 FPS. I just want to be able to get into these games without shelling out a fortune. I’m only an occasional gamer when work/family commitments allow.

thanks in advance.

As @Erwin states, others can address this better.  My own experience is that these games will NOT play on any laptop (or PC) solely using Intel integrated graphics.  You must have an Open GL graphics card to play them.  If I recall correctly, @Bulletpoint had reason to check into this within the past year.  These are great games.  Good luck getting a PC to play them soon!

Edited by Badger73

3 hours ago, Cheltster said:

Hello guys,

Thought I’d throw this out to the group. As the title suggests,I want to start playing this having got into the game via CM:BO plus the sequels. The issue is a need to get a new computer as all I have at present is a 2016 laptop. The problem I have is I’m not sure what to get. I read the recommended system requirements and they are so basic. However looking through here people have i7s with 16gb ram and 2 gb graphics. I know very little about computers but I don’t want to pay £500 when maybe a £200 setup would do.

Would say a 3Ghz core 2 duo system with 4gb ram and a 1Gb nvidia graphics card run this game well? I’m not after 4K display and 30 FPS. I just want to be able to get into these games without shelling out a fortune. I’m only an occasional gamer when work/family commitments allow.

thanks in advance.

If I was you, I would download one of the many Combat Mission Demos and give it a test run on your current system.  You might need to turn off shadows and the like (but maybe not), but should be able to get into it with what you are fielding.

Thanks for the support guys. I really do want to get into these games. I just don't want to make an error at the first stage. I've gathered that an nvidia gpu is the way to go. So that seems certain and that single threat performance of the cpu is key. I guess the most puzzling thing for me is why are the recommended specs so basic when people with much better specs ha e been having issues. 

3 minutes ago, Badger73 said:

If I recall correctly, @Bulletpoint had reason to check into this within the past year. 

You have the memory of an elephant :)

I ended up buying an expensive gaming laptop, and it does sort of OK with Combat Mission. About 40 FPS mostly, but with those weird drops in framerate, graphical glitches etc. etc. that most people seem to have in these games.

4 minutes ago, Badger73 said:

My own experience is that these games will NOT play on any laptop (or PC) solely using Intel integrated graphics.  

Yep, this.  My old laptop will play CM with the integrated card but the briefing text is blurry as a result.  You probably want an Nvida graphics card and must tell the machine to use Nvida when playing CM.   

3 minutes ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

If I was you, I would download one of the many Combat Mission Demos and give it a test run on your current system.  You might need to turn off shadows and the like (but maybe not), but should be able to get into it with what you are fielding.

I could try this Bill but my laptop is a Dell from 2016, fine for word processing etc but it has no graphics card. 

4 minutes ago, Cheltster said:

So that seems certain and that single threat performance of the cpu is key.

A single threat CPU won't be enough if you're attacked from multiple angles ;)

Anyway, ahem, yes, the game engine doesn't make full use of new hardware, so getting a CPU with many cores won't really help much. Higher clockspeed (Ghz) will.

Nvidia GPUs are reportedly better for performance, but I have one, and I get many graphical glitches. Your mileage may vary.

If I were you, I'd go for a laptop with an Nvidia 960M og 1050M GPU. Those seem to be a good balance between price and performance for modern games, and I believe they will be more than enough for Combat Mission too (it's pretty old tech by now).

It's not so much the GPU as the CPU that keeps these games back, I believe.

7 hours ago, Cheltster said:

I could try this Bill but my laptop is a Dell from 2016, fine for word processing etc but it has no graphics card. 

My old laptop, from 2014 also with an integrated video card, ran all of the cm series passably well. The draw distance was short and it took a while to load but it worked. Unless your internet plan has limited data, what have you got to lose with downloading the free demo and checking it out?

For what it's worth, if you are going to go with a new machine, fastest single thread speed is the most important thing you can spend your money on. My daughters laptop has a far inferior video card than my desktop or my laptop, but her processor is nearly twice as fast either of my machines. When we play LAN games, her machine loads the game at least 15 to 20 seconds faster and runs the game smoother. 

I am talking intel and NVIDIA and if you are going with a laptop.  GPU should be a 960M or 1050M (or better). The CPU should be a 4-core, so it can be i3 or i5 but make sure it 6th gen or newer. Remember the i3 lineup has also 2-cores and the i5 has some 6-cores, so remember to make sure the CPU has 4-(physical)cores and no virtual cores.

Short version:
- CPU, pure 4-core. Intel 6th gen or newer.
- GPU, 960M or 1050M or better

The game might "run" with less but will be a horrible experience. On the other note really sucks this game doesn't really do 60fps. My rig can barely manage stable 60fps in this game when it runs AAA games in 1440p with 144Hz.

Ok Cheltster,

I have a Dell OptiPlex 790, i5 Core 2 Quad, 3.0Ghz CPU, 8MB Ram, 1GB ATI Video, Win 7 (also had a Core 2 Duo with same specs), and these Rigs ran CMx2 fairly well using Medium Settings, except Bigger Games where the Frame-Rate dropped...So, I suggest going on Flea-Bay and getting a Re-Furb version in best condition. Here in the States I paid around $250 (which included a Monitor/Key/Mouse).

Yeah, no need to get the latest, greatest, costliest, as you probably wont see much of an improvement.

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

5 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

Ok Cheltster,

I have a Dell OptiPlex 790, i5 Core 2 Quad, 3.0Ghz CPU, 8MB Ram, 1GB ATI Video, Win 7 (also had a Core 2 Duo with same specs), and these Rigs ran CMx2 fairly well using Medium Settings, except Bigger Games where the Frame-Rate dropped...So, I suggest going on Flea-Bay and getting a Re-Furb version in best condition. Here in the States I paid around $250 (which included a Monitor/Key/Mouse).

Yeah, no need to get the latest, greatest, costliest, as you probably wont see much of an improvement.

Joe

Thanks for this Joe. That was the kind of answer I was looking for. I'm such a rubbish general I will only be playing the smaller battles until I get up to speed. 

Update: I tried the CM:BN demo today and.......... 

Nothing happened. Just got a battlefront logo and about 5 secs of music. So clearly it won't work on the laptop. I consoled myself by playing CM:BO Wittman instead. 

Time to start searching through ebay. 

Chelster,

Sounds like a technical issue, not a PC ability to run the game issue. Here's why I say that. I'm a Mac guy, and my machine, an ancient (130+ in cyber years) was built in (gasp, wheeze) late 2009. It runs at 3.06 GHz, has 12 GB of RAM (upgraded last year from 4, thence 8) and a 256 MB ATI/Radeon 4670 video card. It ran CMBN fine on 4 GB of RAM, but couldn't readily handle the greater demands of CMBS and could hardly do anything with the graphics intensive CMBB. Offhand, I can't see how your 2016 PC laptop wouldn't run rings around my cyber fossil, even if yours has less RAM. 

Regards,

John Kettler

The game engine is an issue, modern or even hardware over the past many years makes no difference, it is very hard to get "reasonable" performance out of this game. I've been complaining and helping through the years. Honestly until we get a new engine built to even semi-modern specs nothing can make much of a difference. That's why super old hardware and ultra modern barely move the needle on performance.

8 minutes ago, Cheltster said:

I managed to purchase an i3-4130 @3.3ghz 8gb ram. This chip has good single core performance for the cost. Just need to get a graphics card, any suggestions? 

Depends on your budget and whether or not you are going to play other games. 

The GTX 1050Ti is supposed to be a pretty good bang for the buck. 

I'm using an AMD Radeon HD7700, 1MB, GDDR5, 880MHz Core Clock...Of course, this Vid Card was introduced 5 yrs ago.

Thou, it seems many here prefer Nvidia, and just getting any of the GTX 7 to 9Ti  series should be fine.

Edited by JoMc67