• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Final Blitzkrieg v1.01 released!   05/21/2016

Once again proving that we don't sleep much, we have just released v1.01 for CM: Final Blitzkrieg.  There's lots of great improvements and fixes now just one download away.  Click HERE to see the release notes and download links.  Thanks to everybody for reporting issues and special thanks to the testers who make sure we don't overlook them.
    • Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Bil Hardenberger

CM Final Blitzkrieg - ALLIED (Defense) BETA Battle Report

OCOKA TERRAIN ANALYSIS - PART 3

AVENUES of APPROACH - the main enemy avenues of approach (AA) as I foresee them follows.  

I expect a tentative approach march followed by a rapid movement down one,a couple, several, or all of the following avenues.  Personally I expect him to spread his attack across the entire front in order to stretch my defenses and make a penetration easier to achieve. 

AA1 will allow him to bypass a large part of my defenses by skirting the edge of the L shaped wood and driving for the two left most objective 1 locations.

AA2 and AA3 could see him attacking through the center with the ability to move either left or right depending on the situation.  I expect that Cobru is a major objective for him and he will want to envelop the town before clearing it, and really he does not need to clear it at all so I expect a movement down AA3 so he can bypass the main part of the town.  AA2 in combination with AA1 would give him the left side objectives, probably rather easily and allow him to position long range fire assets on KT1 and KT2.

AA4 is the least likely route as he will not want to slog through the town, but he could bypass it to the right (from my perspective) and like AA3 envelop the town avoiding the built up area.

Avenues0fApproach.PNG

Talking from memory, there were at least two towed tank destroyer battalions attached to VIII US Corps at the start of the offensive, one of them committed to Rocherath-Krinkelt. 

Just checked the OOB in Robert Caddick-Addam's "Snow & Steel: Battle of the Bulge 1944-45", and in effect, of the three TD battalions attached to Middleton's Corps, the 630th and 802nd were equipped with towed ATGs, and the 803rd is listed as equipped with M-10s.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

OCOKA TERRAIN ANALYSIS - PART 3

AVENUES of APPROACH - the main enemy avenues of approach (AA) as I foresee them follows.  

I expect a tentative approach march followed by a rapid movement down one,a couple, several, or all of the following avenues.  Personally I expect him to spread his attack across the entire front in order to stretch my defenses and make a penetration easier to achieve. 

AA1 will allow him to bypass a large part of my defenses by skirting the edge of the L shaped wood and driving for the two left most objective 1 locations.

AA2 and AA3 could see him attacking through the center with the ability to move either left or right depending on the situation.  I expect that Cobru is a major objective for him and he will want to envelop the town before clearing it, and really he does not need to clear it at all so I expect a movement down AA3 so he can bypass the main part of the town.  AA2 in combination with AA1 would give him the left side objectives, probably rather easily and allow him to position long range fire assets on KT1 and KT2.

AA4 is the least likely route as he will not want to slog through the town, but he could bypass it to the right (from my perspective) and like AA3 envelop the town avoiding the built up area.

The AA4 variant may be the slowest but it is also the most covered one, ideal to infiltrate and fall on your outposts from close range (and his infantry may be found lacking in a lot of departments, but sure doesn't lack short-range firepower). But I can't really argue against a big push on KT1/KT2 being the most logical immediate objective for Baneman, and indeed AA1 looks like the "optimal" route for that.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

Talking from memory, there were at least two towed tank destroyer battalions attached to VIII US Corps at the start of the offensive, one of them committed to Rocherath-Krinkelt. 

They were never very popular, the US take on turreted TDs looks quite good on paper and in Cm scenarios, though. 

VIII Corps was not at Rocherath-Krinkelt, that was V Corps

US VIII Corp did have some towed AT units though:

630 TD Battalion - A co towed, B and C co M36

802 TD Battalion - towed

Good idea, but they are very expensive and I'd rather purchase another tank or infantry platoon for that amount...  

Yes, but if the mines take out at least one tank or keep your opponent afraid of using the roads it would be worth it.

Anyway, I see you are playing in light snow, so the bog affect might not be enough to make it worth the effort at all.

Also I know  a lot of players don't like mines, its almost a insult to use them against others. Like its not playing fair.

so I understand, just pointing out a good way to bring instant pain to a German Heavy.

Yes, but if the mines take out at least one tank or keep your opponent afraid of using the roads it would be worth it.

Anyway, I see you are playing in light snow, so the bog affect might not be enough to make it worth the effort at all.

Also I know  a lot of players don't like mines, its almost a insult to use them against others. Like its not playing fair.

so I understand, just pointing out a good way to bring instant pain to a German Heavy.

I don't think they are an insult at all.. fair game for sure.  I just don't like the cost.  ;)

UNIT FORCE PURCHASE OPTIONS

For this fight I plan on being very active, which means I need an all mobile force.  I cannot have leg infantry that could get pinned and bypassed, I need an infantry component that is light, mobile, fast, that can take on the expected German heavy tanks on relatively even (or close to even) terms, by firepower, superior mobility and superior numbers.  I HOPE Baneman did not go with an all tank force.. I expect he purchased at least two PzG companies and a battery or two of artillery.  If so that will keep the number of enemy tanks to about 8-10 (hopefully). 

My core unit in this battle is the Recon Platoon.  I want to be clear that I do not intend to stand toe to toe with Baneman's infantry.  I intend this force to have an information gathering task only.  However I do not want this formation to be totally toothless so I intend to back it up with some Hellcat Tank Destroyers.  They will be backed up by a strong and capable armored formation that will provide long range overwatch and be my quick action force. 

I have two force pick options.  Option A has 10 Hellcats and a total of 14 tanks (2 Shermans and 2 M36s).  

Option B is the way I am leaning and it has 12 tanks, 4 Hellcats supporting the Recon Platoon and 8 additional tanks, 4 Shermans and 4 M36s.  I have a feeling I will need the additional Sherman and M36 support this option provides.

Please examine my suggested picks and let me know what you think!!  

By the way I had wanted to bring a battery of VT fuze artillery but they are VERY expensive so opted to go with more tanks instead (the cheapest VT fuze arty battery costs as much as two Jumbos).

Option A:

Unit%2BPurchase-Option%2BA.PNG

Option B:

Unit%2BPurchase-Option%2BB.PNG

I like your multiple Jeep purchases Bil.

Besides their mobility, they will also make great target distractions and even bait for any enemy big cats.

They are small and fast and (don't tell the crews!) expendable.

Bud, yes very light teams with no AT capability (thus the Hellcats in support).. they are meant to look-listen and run away when threatened.  If I end up getting into firefights with these recon teams I will lose them quickly.  I am placing a lot of emphasis on recon in this battle obviously.. with the size of the map and the open terrain I need to know where he is and in what strength.  

I will get into some detail of what I plan on doing with this force hopefully later today.

I WILL BE THE OUTCAST

I like option "A"

I prefer the fact you have more armor, the two extra guns is worth more than what the guns are in my book.

Plus with how you talking about mobility being a key. They help with that, having more numbers always help in a mobile battle plus they are hellcats , so faster than the other tanks you are thinking of selecting.

They are open top, but since I do not see you sitting still or going toe to toe much. It will be hard pressed for the Germans to ever get any arty on them. So should not be a factor in this battle really.

So I will be a vote for Option A

Thanks Sly.. FWIW I have yet to make a determination.. I see advantages to both force compositions.  Option A I can even squeak out at least one more Hellcat if I get rid of the TD Platoon HQ and M20s.. those things will be worthless in this battle. I agree the more guns the better, however... Option B provides more capable firepower with the two extra M36s, and the Shermans are more survivable than any of the TDs, especially the Jumbos... I could push to 4 Jumbos (instead of two Jumbos and two Easy 8s) but I would have to sacrifice something else to do that and I am already pretty thin.

Option B sounds good and I like the mobile defense idea generally. Also a good pick to showcase some the new US units in CMFB, though I´d wished to also see the VT fuzed artillery in action. Surely some nasty stuff, when put on the right enemy units and when surprise can be achieved (TRP). But if it´s too costly.... 

I guess this shows my inexperience but I'd be concerned that if the Germans have a reasonable complement of infantry, I would not have something to deal with them. 

Edited by Bud_B

The AA4 variant may be the slowest but it is also the most covered one, ideal to infiltrate and fall on your outposts from close range (and his infantry may be found lacking in a lot of departments, but sure doesn't lack short-range firepower).

I agree. If I was the attacker I would have come down Approach #4.

From what I can see of the map terrain, using mines would only be worth it if you could cover a road on each approach route. Otherwise you're wasting points on what is essentially a gamble.

Please examine my suggested picks and let me know what you think!!

Those are two good options Bil, but given the fact you want to focus on mobility option A makes the most sense.

Keeping your Hellcats in their own integrated platoons would allow a more flexible deployment, and would enable you to keep multiple smaller groups with their own C2 links. However, the danger is if you run into some super heavy armor, you might suffer for lack of an extra pair of 90mm guns, and the extra heavy armor of the Jumbo Shermans.

So if you want my personal opinion, go with option B, because Jumbo Shermans are my favorite, and 90mm guns are awesome!

Option B sounds good and I like the mobile defense idea generally. Also a good pick to showcase some the new US units in CMFB, though I´d wished to also see the VT fuzed artillery in action. Surely some nasty stuff, when put on the right enemy units and when surprise can be achieved (TRP). But if it´s too costly.... 

I can bring some VT artillery along.. but to be effective in a moving battle which I expect this to be I would also need TRPs... the cheapest artillery is a Howitzer section (missed that one before) at around 250 points, add another 150 for TRPs and I think you can see that would require some major sacrifices from somewhere else.  I'm sure Chris will be showcasing VT fuzed arty in one of his broadcasts so hopefully you'll still be able to see it in action.

I guess this shows my inexperience but I'd be concerned that if the Germans have a reasonable complement of infantry, I would not have something to deal with them. 

Good point Bud, to be honest I'm not concerned with this... if Baneman brings a lot of infantry they will have to be mounted, either on tanks or in halftracks (I doubt he'd mount them on trucks in this terrain), in that case stripping them from the tanks or killing their tracks would be a priority, and this is a long map which would not be an easy thing for him to walk his infantry down the length of.  To be honest I hope he bought A LOT of infantry.

Good point Bud, to be honest I'm not concerned with this... if Baneman brings a lot of infantry they will have to be mounted, either on tanks or in halftracks (I doubt he'd mount them on trucks in this terrain), in that case stripping them from the tanks or killing their tracks would be a priority, and this is a long map which would not be an easy thing for him to walk his infantry down the length of.  To be honest I hope he bought A LOT of infantry.

Between snow, a long map with deep objectives, and fatigue issues for anyone walking, I suppose you're right. This is why I love your AARs; they're like staff college! ;)