CM Final Blitzkrieg - ALLIED (Defense) BETA Battle Report

This is the Allied battle thread for the CM Final Blitzkrieg game!! 

CMFB%2BLogo.PNG

I hope to show as many new features as possible, but it will not be possible to show everything, so there should be plenty for you to discover when you get your hands on the game.  I hope you enjoy it and join in the discussion!!  My opponent will be Baneman.  I have not played him before so this should be interesting.  I know he is experienced, so I expect a tough fight.

This division will attack and attack, and if the order is ever given to fall back, the order will not come from me.
~ Major General John S. "P" Wood, Commanding General, 4th Armored Division ~

Like MG Wood in the above quote, though I will be on the defensive I am not going to approach this particular game with a defensive mindset. I plan on being highly mobile, highly aggressive, and performing an active defense in depth.  

I have a plan of action already outlined, and will be sharing it with you during the analysis phase. The map follows:

CMFB-AAR-TOPO.PNG

The area in question.  It is relatively flat, which will become apparent when you see the in-game screenshots, however the ground is rolling and provides plenty of opportunity for masked movement and hopefully will keep the engagement ranges short and nullify the main advantage the big German tanks will have. The Germans will be coming from the North (top of the map). The weather is heavy snow, so it will be deep, will affect mobility (in my tests the big German tanks had a tendency to bog and immobilize when moving cross country), (DO NOT TELL BANEMAN!!) while the US tanks seem to be rather good cross country.

The objectives are set in a phase line like configuration and are centered on the main road intersections... for example Objective 1 is a series of four points and are farthest north.  

We will want to feature some of the new equipment in the game. Some of the new equipment includes: Chaffee light tank, M36 Jackson TD, Sherman Jumbo, VT Fuzes for artillery, etc.. I expect another BETA tester may be by in a later post to fill out the available equipment and formations.

The Germans will probably be bringing at least one JagdTiger and/or SturmTiger to the party, maybe Volksgrenadiers, and I don't know, maybe another surprise or two... 

The map is 1824m wide and 3584m tall, plenty of maneuver room.  We are playing a Large Probe Quick battle, which gives me 3620 points to spend. Baneman will have 5380.

With my next post I will start to get into my pre-battle analysis, force picks, expected enemy force, etc.

Here are a few teaser images to whet your appetite!!  Note,I have not made my purchases yet, these are simply to show you the terrain and the unit interaction with it.  Enjoy!!

Mockup-01.PNG

Mockup-02.PNG

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weather is heavy snow, so it will be deep, will affect mobility (in my tests the big German tanks had a tendency to bog and immobilize when moving cross country), (DO NOT TELL BANEMAN!!) while the US tanks seem to be rather good cross country.

To my knowledge I was always under the impression, that german tanks, thanks to their wider tracks, had superior mobility than US tanks.

Edited by Crinius

To my knowledge I was always under the impression, that german tanks, thanks to their wider tracks, had superior mobility than US tanks.

They actually do (DON'T TELL BIL :P )

Panthers, Tigers and King Tigers have better tactical mobility than any US tank except for the Shermans with HVSS suspension, e.g. Easy Eights. It says so in the unit UI. However, Jagdtigers and Sturmtigers are not quite as nimble.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

Well I have yet to see a U.S. Tank get immobilized but the JagdTigers and SturmTigers sure do. I can't speak for the regular German tanks.  Guess I'll have to do some experiments.  ;)

BTW I am on a family trip this weekend so my next post might be delayed. 

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

Well I have yet to see a U.S. Tank get immobilized but the JagdTigers and StudmTigers sure do. I can't speak for the regular German tanks.  Guess I'll have to do some experiments.  ;)

BTW I am on a family trip this weekend so my next post might be delayed. 

Heads up, Bil, as a fellow Allied player, I've had about a 40% immobilization rate in deep snow, 20% in regular snow. The only thing that seems to float over it is the Easy Eight and other vehicles with HVSS. I too have no experience with how the German kit handles deep snow. Historically, Panthers and Tigers should beat everything the Allies had for snow mobility, from what I've read. 

Family trip! A delay!  Come on man... where are your priorities?

Sitting here waiting for my lunch at the Hard Rock I in DC.  ;)  My son wanted to come to DC for his birthday, and we just visited with the Spy Museum.  Sorry guys my son comes before the game    :P  

Like I did for my CMRT BETA AAR I would like for you guys to suggest a force mix for me. I already have an idea on what I would like to bring to the fight but you guys tell me. What would you like to see?  I reserve rights to the final decision however.  

I will discuss my ideas for this battle in an upcoming post.