The wider world discovers CMRT!

MikeyD

I am so happy that something like polygon found combat mission because pretty much everyone I know has never heard of it except for the one time last year when somebody saw me playing shockforce and they said "is that combat mission shockforce I read an article about it and from what I have heard its one of the most realistic war games out there"

I check the board just about daily. I think a lot other do too. I've been a gamer for years, but I play CM exclusively these days. I've been a Total War junkie for years, but can't seem to get into it anymore. Rome Total War 2 with the latest patch is decent, but pales to CM-especially when you play another human.

I play h2h just about everyday and if I could only have one game it would be CM and SF.

Combat Mission will never be mainstream, which may be a good thing. Would you want the World of Warcraft or Company of Hero's crowd flooding the gates?

One of their other interesting articles:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/22/6057039/are-indie-developers-facing-a-mass-extinction

eg:

"Our games are meant to be $10, but nobody buys them at $10. They buy them when a 90 percent discount coupon lands in their Steam inventory," he wrote. "We survive only by the grace of coupon drops, which are of course entirely under Valve's control. It doesn't matter how much marketing we do now, because Valve control our drip feed."

Yeah, wow, very interesting. Especially if you read the original blog post they talk about in the article (and some of the comments):

http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1574

It seems to give an insight into what dealing with being on Steam is like.

One of their other interesting articles:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/22/6057039/are-indie-developers-facing-a-mass-extinction

eg:

"Our games are meant to be $10, but nobody buys them at $10. They buy them when a 90 percent discount coupon lands in their Steam inventory," he wrote. "We survive only by the grace of coupon drops, which are of course entirely under Valve's control. It doesn't matter how much marketing we do now, because Valve control our drip feed."

Of course, I don't think I've seen anyone ever suggest that Combat Mission games be sold at bargain bin prices like some 2-bit dime-a-dozen trash that populates Steam's indie page, so I'm not sure how that is relevant to BFC.

Of course, I don't think I've seen anyone ever suggest that Combat Mission games be sold at bargain bin prices like some 2-bit dime-a-dozen trash that populates Steam's indie page, so I'm not sure how that is relevant to BFC.

Who decides what game goes on Steam's indie page? Who decides when and how big the discounts are?

Who decides what game goes on Steam's indie page? Who decides when and how big the discounts are?

Steam's "indie" page is something they call Greenlight. Publishers can put their games on Greenlight, and if they get enough community support, the game gets "greenlit" and users can start pre-ordering. http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/faq/

Publishers can participate in big Steam sales events, or not. They also have direct control over their prices now, with the new publisher portal.

Would be nice to get an actual review out of Polygon for one of the Combat Mission games, or a feature on Black Sea when it comes, given its proximity to real events.

Steam doesn;t have an indie page.

Steam does have something called Greenlight. Steam users vote on waht games they want on Steam and the top 50 from the Greenlight list are then allowed to be sold on Steam. Importantly, this is only if you do not currently have a game offered on Steam.

Individual publishers/devs decide when and how discounts are made on a regular basis. I'm not sure how the Steam Holiday sales work, but I'm assuming the same way. Since sales are so astronomically high during those periods.

Steam has a front page. When a game is released it is guaranteed 1 million views on the front page. If your game sells well your game stays on the front page longer and in a more desirable slot. Your game can also go on the front page if there is a sale happening.

The simple fact is that people aren't buying your game for $10 because they don't find it any good. At $2 you might try it out and whatever you are out $2, or less. But at a price point of $10 + well they will want your game to be interesting to them. Gunpoint did stellar at a $15 price point because it was good and it grabbed peoples attention.