Gustav Line QB AAR Axis

On the topic of my guys herding ... it was one of those unfortunate "I thought I was behind safe lines" things. Thinking that this valley was out of view, I was operating sloppily ... "whoa, quick, 2Plt got around the back there". You always pay the price for sloppiness in war, I guess:( But who maintains complete discipline behind lines... when you think you're safe, you move fast....

GaJ

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was Vanir who was a bit concerned about the exposed sides of my tanks. I thought it worth a few shots just to show that I didn't leave them completely at Bil's mercy, though there was a brief moment where disaster could have struck:

At the beginning of the manouver you can see that Bruan had Christoff covered:

T22Hunt1.png

The way it worked out, there was a brief moment before Christoff rotated to reverse, where they were both side on to P509 and that nasty Sherm on the other side:

T22Hunt2.png

but it was only brief:

T22Safe.png

As it turns out, the Sherm decided to stay where it was - presumably hoping for more tasty treats over in MonteG valley. Thankfully, my inf in the valley managed to wriggle down out of sight.

My back-corner mortar took too long to find it's range on Bil's HMG, which managed to bug out before any rounds got into the vicinity:

T22HMG.png

I see that Bil has a truck coming to pick it up - I wonder if it is to be ferried over to P523? I also wonder whether my HQ on the far left can pick off the truck driver at 500m?

T22Truck.png

Over on the right, the Sherm was repositioned to the top of P523 looking down on the right flank battle zone. As you can imagine, this caused a massive scramble for smoke, and HQs exposed in the saddle to rush down where the tank can't see them:

T22Right.png

Bil is obviously not going to let this flank go easily - maybe he had his own plans to press through here, because he's sent another unit across scouting the valley. My guys who came through the saddle are positioning to try to stop this sort of stuff.

Meanwhile, on P509, I have a team with some fausts trying to get close enough to that Sherm. It's a dicey mission, because they are exposed from my left...

T22P509.png

It's the sort of long shot that is usually doomed to failure, yet I feel like I need to try!!

GaJ

PS - by accident, I posted a picture in png instead of jpg. Though bigger, it seems to be noticeably better, so I've started doing it all the time. Good or bad?

In the 1980s, the U.S. Army, following a lot of field testing, concluded the average own position error figure for artillery observers was 300 meters. From this came the urgent requirement for north seeking gyros, GPS and whatnot. Today, we take eight digit grids as common, but during WW II, there were rarer than honest politicians are today.

I know. Using the word 'precision' in a sentence about WW II more often than not is a cruel joke.

Michael

You just have these spells that come over you once in a while, right? Sudden urges to scream and beat your head against the wall? Anything to make it all go away?

Michael

Thats exactly the problem, i don't know what it is, it just hits me and BAM im going crazy.

But really i was just mentioning all of the arrows. Just look at all of them! There is so many of them!

Oh no its happening! Calm down man! Keep it together!

Alright... im all good now.

Oh, I'm not disputing your force selection in any shape or form, I wouldn't have chosen anything different from you. I was just thinking that as it is a showcase of the new Italy module perhaps it should have showed some new features, or units. Nothing to do with you or Bill, perhaps something that BF could have sorted out to show us the new bells an whistle?

Anyway, I am cheering you on! Give us some more up close screenshots of the Paras and stop whining about having to travel and get some sleep and Man Up!

I've been trying to stay out of the AAR threads, but I'll butt in for a moment to answer this:

The Luftwaffe doesn't have access to the big new vehicles like the Sturmpanzer IV or the Elefant, because these belonged to Heer formations. So it came down to picking either the FJ or the Heer with big vehicles for the QB... I figured that people might want to see FJ troopers running around more.

Additionally the AA guns, while in the game and working, were still going through some adjustments and weren't quite ready for show time for the AAR start. More AA gun goodness will be coming very soon... :)

Well, it's all gotten very busy.

T23.png

A nice thing is that the smoke screen on his P523 Sherm went up quickly and well. I think you can see a nice group of shells in the above screenshot.

But I missed out the arrows! And circles! And Text! Here they are:

T23Overview.png

A bad thing that happened is that the P523 Sherm came further forwards before stopping and being smoked, which gave him LOS to my precious Shrek who was sneaking down into the valley. That guy is no more :(

Over on the left you can see that I found the Stuart that went missing some time back - it's lurking in the valley on the far left. That valley is full of guys with Fausts and satchels, so I'm not too worried right now about that tank. The other Stuart sounds like it's on its way up the central valley to come and support Bil's defense of P523. That's gonna have me wishing the PzIVs were over there, I'm sure.

Speaking of Christoff and Braun, one unexpected thing is that Bil's P509 Shermie has come rushing around P509 towards where they are manouvering. This makes that whole plateau area pretty intense:

T23Left.png

I really don't know what to expect in the next turn. Can Bil see the PzIVH's or not? Can he see both of them? If he can, why is he rushing into a 2:1 confrontation? Is that really what he's doing, or something else?

One possibilty is that he has sound contacts showing the PzIVHs going down the valley on the left, so he's hoping to catch them from behind.

And of course, he may have seen things in this movie that completely change his plan.

Nonetheless, I have to assume that the Shermie is going to keep coming, looking for a fight.

What I had actually been doing is getting Christoff & Braun ready to take pot shots at the P523 tank if it decides to leap forwards out of the smoke. I want to continue with this option, so I'm going to try to have Christoff & Braun ready for both. In the above screenie you can see that there's a lot of rushing around trying to be ready to button the Sherm, and maybe take pot shots at it with Shrek & Faust. Plus a mortar covering action firing on P509, where I spotted some infantry heading again this turn.

Assuming that the Shermie does keep coming, Christoff is going to try to get a more side on shot, if that happens, as you can see in the previous shot - hunting forwards to the left with an armoured covered arc on the plateau.

Meanwhile, Braun already has LOS to the smoke on P523, but he needs to reverse a little to spot the position that I would move the Sherm to if I were trying to push it forwards out of the smoke:

T23Braun.png

Also, Braun of course will need to fire at the closer Sherm if/when it comes over the crest.

This picture shows the risk that the Shrek is under from P509 (and hence why the mortar is firing).

T23Shrek.png

It also raises the question "why doesn't the Shrek pop up over MonteP to the left a bit, and get a side shot on the Sherm at this range (150m)?"

The answer is that there's still a pesky unit just on the other side of MonteP:

T23ShrekRisk.png

A couple of other notable things happened this turn. One is that two 81mm mortars chose to fire HE at Sherms, unbidden.

At the back, that mortar spotted the P509 rushing Sherm and has launched a shell:

T23Mortar.png

Given it's previous accuracy at 1000m, I'm not sure why these guys think that they can get anywhere near a _moving_ Sherm at 500m.

Also, one of the mortars that was supposed to be smoking the P523 Sherm also fired HE instead. He was rattled - I wonder if that is the reason? As it turns out, the other two smoke firers did a good job, so it was nice that some smoke shells were saved :)

Unfortunately, smoke is a fickle friend - the P523 tank still has eyes on one of my mortars:

T23Exposed.png

I couldn't decide whether to order that guy to keep firing more smoke, or try to bug out. If you could re-man mortars, I think I'd have bailed and run, to come back later if possible. However, given a 20s packup, during which time the unit will get killed if the tank has spotted it and decides to fire, I decided to try to stick it out and try to use that time to shoot another smoke shell.

I have one last thing to share with y'all this turn. Bil's infantry units are driving me nuts with their firepower.

T23RamboFire.png

It's hard to capture this properly with a screenshot, but perhaps you can get the sense of the hail of bullets that these guys are putting out. That one spread you can see took down 3 out of the 4 HQ guys that were rushing across in the distance. That'll teach me to go rushing around the place...

It's these nasty looking weapons:

T23Rambo.png

They seem to be everywhere: here's another unit over in the valley of P523 with one:

T23RamboValley.png

Nasty nasty things, whatever they are!

GaJ

I think those are Stens. Hitting 3 out of 4 targets at that range is... really, really good marksmanship with a SMG. Or really lucky.

Given it's previous accuracy at 1000m, I'm not sure why these guys think that they can get anywhere near a _moving_ Sherm at 500m.

Or why they would expect to kill it even if they hit it. I wish the TacAI would only fire mortars at soft skinned or open-topped vehicles without orders, and only stationary ones.

GreenAsJade,

With all that purple smoke you popped, is Fliegerkorps X going to carpet bomb the Americans? On a more serious note, how is it that you don't shred his infantry with your own heavily armed squads? Clearly, fighting him up close creates acute lead poisoning, so why not give him a whole ingot from outside the reported effective 100m Sten range (no idea what CMFI number is)? Speaking of Stens, they were notoriously jam prone, and that really should be modeled. Fremde Heeres Ost just released this intel bulletin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sten

Regards,

John Kettler