Gustav Line QB AAR Axis

A little while back The BFC First Second Programmer twisted my arm to do some Beta testing of CMx2, because he found out I just acquired retina Mac Book Pro - there wasn't one of those in the testing lineup.

One of the first things that happened to me is I got fully whupped by this "Bill Hardenberger" chararacter, testing a scenario under CMBN 2.01 (Seven Winds).

Being a sucker for punishment, here I am paired off against Bill again... in a grudge match you might say! :D

We're about to play out for your merriment a Medium QB on the Gustav Line. Due to "where things are at" there are some limitations about what can be included in battle: for example, snow is apparently not quite ready for prime-time, and there are some limitations on weapon selection.

If I understand correctly, it's going to be Green Devils vs Red Devils. I get the Fallschirmjäger, yay :)

I better go take a look at my force selection options ... more soon.

GaJ

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this is not too big for everyone - if it is, let me know I'll shrink it or something (is there some crafty way I can write the size in the p><p> Man, at this point I

First, here is my setup:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://gregories.net/images/MySetup.jpg' alt='MySetup.jpg'>

As you can see, mostly, I'm in a valley looking up to the objective zones, but on my left and right flanks I have high spots...

Sitting in the middle of my setup zone, we can look out to the right and see the massive peaks that are the objectives on the right...

Peaks.jpg

Right now I'm thinking "I better be bringing some transport to get up those hills".

I don't actually know, at this point, how long the QB is (I've asked my oppo :) ... one of the little things the BFC might want to give us later: info at force selection time about the scenario parameters :D

That will determine a lot about what I can and can't do with infantry in this map.

An interesting feature of the left hand side of the map is that it's more of a plateau or extended ridgeline ... leading out of my back left pocket.

In this image we see that from my left hand corner, a flat ridge is leading towards

the two left middle VLs:

BackPlateau.jpg

and here's what it looks like at P509:

Plateau.jpg

This has to be some use. I get a high road into these VLs, while he has to climb into them.

Well.

Now I've shared all this with you, do I get to phone a friend for hints on what to buy and game plan???? :D

GaJ

I hope this is not too big for everyone - if it is, let me know I'll shrink it or something (is there some crafty way I can write the size in the %7Boption%7D tag?

Yeah, those images are pretty big. I do not think there is anything you can do with the %7Boption%7D tag. I usually resize them to be 1000px wide for posing on the forum. If you resize in your images in your favorite image editor that will keep our horizontal scrolling down.

Ok - I know you all want some fighting now, already :)

But we're in the "rush slowly" part of things... I'm still wrangling with an idea for a plan.

One thing that's for sure: the VL's are pretty indefensible for any amount of time. Any force sitting on those is a sitting duck. Except for Bil's P523 ridge, which is a doozy of a reverse slope.

So I'm thinking I just have to find him and kill him :)

That plateau that I have, which is a nice run to the left VLs, is also a death trap from an exposure point of view. I'm starting to think of a plan that is "press up the left side and see if I can get into the back corner, by suprise".

I've also learned two other things:

1) My force (is required to) contain 1500 points of Airborne Infantry units.

2) The duration is to be 1.5 hours (!!)

So we're not having a "tanks slug it out from the ridgelines" battle, rather a combined arms dance.

Hmmm.... hafta go to the office now. Maybe a plan will emerge there :) :)

GaJ

Why is the terrain looking so strange?

It looks like mid-winter, rough country. Dead foliage but dry ground. The same map in springtime would automatically be as green as a... a... okay, I can't think of any cool green thngs to compare it to. As green as Kermit the frog. :)

Ok - I know you all want some fighting now, already :)

But we're in the "rush slowly" part of things... I'm still wrangling with an idea for a plan.

One thing that's for sure: the VL's are pretty indefensible for any amount of time. Any force sitting on those is a sitting duck. Except for Bil's P523 ridge, which is a doozy of a reverse slope.

So I'm thinking I just have to find him and kill him :)

That plateau that I have, which is a nice run to the left VLs, is also a death trap from an exposure point of view. I'm starting to think of a plan that is "press up the left side and see if I can get into the back corner, by suprise".

I've also learned two other things:

1) My force (is required to) contain 1500 points of Airborne Infantry units.

2) The duration is to be 1.5 hours (!!)

So we're not having a "tanks slug it out from the ridgelines" battle, rather a combined arms dance.

Hmmm.... hafta go to the office now. Maybe a plan will emerge there :) :)

GaJ

Exactly! Stop thinking. Thinking leads to indecision. Indecision leads to defeat. Defeat leads to ridicule. Ergo, if you think, we'll ridicule you.

You are correct: VL's are indefensible. If you kill all of your enemy, the VL's will take care of themselves.

Now, gird your loins and plunge forward!!

Ken

It looks like mid-winter, rough country. Dead foliage but dry ground.

Dead it looks indeed.

Without sun and shadows i find this terrain hardly readable.

The same map in springtime would automatically be as green as a... a... okay, I can't think of any cool green thngs to compare it to. As green as Kermit the frog. :)

:D

Grass? Nothing greener than grass in spring.

OK. So threw out the idea of the whole left flank. That plateau looks like a killing field.

Now I have a new plan.

A. Create a nice safe zone on my side of MonteG and Point 502.

B. Take the battle to him, by pressing right up the right flank. I "have this thing" about that ridge that he has, P253, I feel like it had to be taken off him. So I will see if I can get in around the right hand side...

Here's the force:

ForceSelection.png

(squished to 1000px as requested)

I activated the Battalion of Airborne Inf FJs, as required, and pared it down to 1500pts, again as required.

Then I added a bunch of 81mm artillery and TRPs, because I'm going to need to bomb behind that ridge I want to take, and probably have some left over for squabbiling about possession of the left side of the map later.

Then I though I need some tanks in case he brings some. At first I thought a Stu42 for blowing up inf plus 2 Marder IIIMs for anti tank, but those thin Marders make me nervous. So I plumbed for 2 general purpose PzIVH's instead.

It's in Bil's hands now... get thee over to his thread, and plague him mercilessly if he hesitates for a moment in force selection and setup :D

GaJ

OK. So threw out the idea of the whole left flank. That plateau looks like a killing field.

Now I have a new plan.

A. Create a nice safe zone on my side of MonteG and Point 502.

B. Take the battle to him, by pressing right up the right flank. I "have this thing" about that ridge that he has, P253, I feel like it had to be taken off him. So I will see if I can get in around the right hand side...

Here's the force:

ForceSelection.png

(squished to 1000px as requested)

I activated the Battalion of Airborne Inf FJs, as required, and pared it down to 1500pts, again as required.

Then I added a bunch of 81mm artillery and TRPs, because I'm going to need to bomb behind that ridge I want to take, and probably have some left over for squabbiling about possession of the left side of the map later.

Then I though I need some tanks in case he brings some. At first I thought a Stu42 for blowing up inf plus 2 Marder IIIMs for anti tank, but those thin Marders make me nervous. So I plumbed for 2 general purpose PzIVH's instead.

It's in Bil's hands now... get thee over to his thread, and plague him mercilessly if he hesitates for a moment in force selection and setup :D

GaJ

If I were mr. Hardenberger and read this reply, I had to ask myself: could this be a cloak and dagger selection?