Whats your age?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 and totally computer gamed out, bored, tired of present ho-hum click fest quick fix and shallow choices.

Except CM of course, where CM still thrills, still chills, and I still can 't get my fill.

Agree, I have to admit though, the Mass Effect series is pretty good.

MegaMek (the Battletech board game, top down view on the PC or Mac, via SourceForge) is a really great game as well. It is open source, always being updated and improved upon... all free for download.

Sorry, I do not want to hi-jack this thread, carry on.

Ahh, sorry Michael, yes I missed your post and I bow to your rightful elderliness (not sure if thats a word)! My 1st game was M1 Tank Platoon (Microsoft) but eventualy I worked my way through all the CM classics (BO, BB & AK). Then, Theatre of war which to me never lived up to the standards I came to expect and actualy eventualy took for granted from CM. I have high hopes for the 02 series to pick up the torch and carry us forward into the past.

10/11/42 = 71 this year.

One of my earliest memories is VJ Day in Colorado Springs, CO. Jeeps loaded with servicemen scooting around town raising a ruckus. Going to a soda fountain located in a PX (in a Quonset hut) & snagging a great ice cream cone. My gaming life started with Tactics II and I was a board gamer from then on (I still have all the damn things). Life changed when I saw the WeGo system for the first time. Anybody remember the Atomic Games debacle (was that even a true WeGo system)? I was disillusioned with turn based gaming as it didn't take long to learn how to 'Game' the crap out of the system. Then, of course, the Beyond Overlord Demo. It didn't take long to get the hang of that thing and see the course for my gaming future. Military games for the Mac back in the day were few & far between and BO was a revelation.

Cpl.Upham....yes, I am a vet but was in the Air Force and saw no combat during Viet Nam....I started with Tactics 2 back in 1960 and went on from there. Of course had CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK and have enjoyed CM games since 2001....Best war games there are in my humble opinion

That game along with Air Force/Dauntless was heaven on earth. I've always been partial to tactical level games. Midway...Sniper...the NJ Wargames Club in Edison, NJ. Sniff.

Midway... nice. :D

Add to that: Avalon Hill's Wooden Ships and Iron Men, Tobruk.

GDW: Air Superiority and Air Strike (these led me to get Flight Commander 2, PC when it was released in 1994. Still fire that up on my old WinXP rig).

Victory Games: Ambush and Open Fire (Solitaire wargames)

Box pics of the three I have:

pic265524_md.jpgpic152920_md.jpgpic1205434_md.jpg

In regards to the Ambush and Open Fire wargames, I may have to dust these gems off and see if there is anything that may be useful for CM, like maps or scenarios etc.

23 here. i first played when i picked up a issue of computer gaming world an behold a demo of a strange ww2 game that worked like no game i had played before. then bought CMBB when it came out an then CMAK as well. i lost track of the series for a few years an finally ive found her again an im really impressed with where this has been taken. never had a h2h in this decade(holy sh***) of playing these games if any interested hit me up!

i have to really give it to you old timers for playing those tabletop games .... cant rap my brain around that stuff.

Another one to increase the average. I'm 56, recently took early retirement. You'd think I'd have tons of time, but I decided to go back to school to keep busy (and it has kept me VERY busy).

Started gaming with Avalon Hill's Tactics II, Blitzkrieg, Bismark, Midway and moved on to many others. Also played a lot of naval miniatures (WWII, 1:1200 using Seapower and Seekrieg).

Dave

I am impressed you mentioned AH Tactics II. Me also. Was there any wargames before that?

Remember play-by-mail, where you picked stocks, and the "die roll" was the last digit of the amount of stock traded that day, converted onto a special chart?

...i have to really give it to you old timers for playing those tabletop games .... cant rap my brain around that stuff.

Since Steel Panthers and now Combat Mission, for me playing on the computer is so much more of a number crunching /time saver that I will never go back unless I have no power for an extended length of time. :D

Since Steel Panthers and now Combat Mission' date=' for me playing on the computer is so much more of a number crunching /time saver that I will never go back unless I have no power for an extended length of time. :D[/quote']

lol man i loved steel panthers but waiting for all the units to fire an return fire in that game arent what i would call a time saver.

Remember play-by-mail, where you picked stocks, and the "die roll" was the last digit of the amount of stock traded that day, converted onto a special chart?

Indeed. I had a game of Air Assault on Crete under my bed for 6 months while we slugged it out via snail mail. No small feat! That was a long board.