Whats your age?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

61.... First tentative steps were with the Close Combat series but then along came CMBO....... No other game comes close in this genre although the guys at Graviteam (Achtung Panzer) provide an interesting variation for light relief. I am ex-military (British Army) but way back. I never fail to be impressed by the knowledge,enthusiasm and good humour displayed by the many posters on these boards, young and old.

Regards to all

23 years old here and it was my interest in military history that got me into these games.

The first wargame I played, although I wasn't aware of it, was CC2 in 1998 or 1999. It wasn't the full game but the demo that came with Flight Simulator 98. Played the hell out of it. After that I didn't play any wargames or sims, except FS, until 2001 when a mate introduced me to the Operation Flashpoint demo. I was blown away by the realism it had compared to most other military shooters and I never looked back. Sill playing that series with Arma 2 and ACE mod.

2006 was the year I got back into wargames when I bought some old CC titles. Then 2007 came along with CMSF which I happened to come across by accident. Own every single CMx2 title for PC.

So now I mostly split my time between Arma 2, CMx2 and the odd wargame or flight sim.

allready anwered my age.

First introduction was a classic game called art of war where you had archers, spearmen and swordmen. Then came Gato - subsim. then M1 tank platoon. But I got hooked on the John Tiller Battlefront series. Norm Kogers Operational art of war for about a decade. Got my moneys worth on that one.

first "official" wargame was AH's "Bismarck" back in 1971-72, although I had marathon RISK games with friends and family for years before.

I'd neither seen, nor heard of a wargame (other than Risk or Stratego) until 1969 (I would have been 14 at the time). Then, one night after a CAP meeting, a couple of the guys were playing Midway. Next day I came home from the hobby shop with Blitzkrieg and I've spent far too much money on wargames ever since...

My name is Rake and I'm an addict... ;)

Wow, by the looks of the posts here we are definitely the AARP demographic.

Imagine the warehouse full of hex-map boards we could gather if all our Avalon Hill collections were to be brought together.

Get your dice and grab some string! Prepare to argue, we're playin' ASL!

----

Ahh, the days of fighting over LOS and rules, just to watch the cat settle the argument by strolling across the battlefield.

Which reminds me.. I have a nice pair of vintage catskin gloves on Ebay.

----

Need to get a modder to make up some Ensure and Metamucil posters for flavour objects.

First wargames I played during 1982-84 were Squad Leader on tabletop and some Desert Rats wargame on Sinclair Spectrum 48K.

OMG! Your post brought to my memory things I almost forgot! Desert Rats for Spectrum! Actually my first computer wargame!

I played SL as well in those times, with Fulda Gap (SPI?) and Seelowe (don't remember the publisher)

I'm 67, though I've stopped playing because of my frustration with my inability to play well. I greatly enjoyed CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK. I never mastered them, but they were fun to play either solitaire or PBEM whether I won or lost. CMBN, at least to me, requires a lot of work to play and provides very little fun as a reward for all the effort.

I guess I'm now a lurker on the forum. I visit every week or so, and read through all the new threads in the hope of finding something that will reawaken my old excitement.

Years ago I read about a club that was into naval wargaming with miniatures. Somehow they managed to get access to a highschool gymnasium for their games.

Michael

Not quite at that level, but did anyone play the complete Strategy and Tactics Russian Campaign? As I remember it used 8 map sheets you were supposed to tape together and over 2000 counters. I never even got as far as completing the initial set-up.

...did anyone play the complete Strategy and Tactics Russian Campaign?

You mean War in the East? I don't think I ever got past October, 1941. They also did War in the West with rules to tie the two together. I once laid out all the maps on my livingroom floor and it took up nearly the whole space. GDW's game on the same same subject, Europa, was even bigger. I lost count of how many counters came with the complete set, but it must have been more than 10,000. I wonder if anyone ever played the whole thing through.

Michael

42, going to be 43 next month.

I've been hooked on and playing these games since the beginning as my forum join date shows. I don't post tons over all that time but have been part of and reading the boards forever.

I've also been lucky in that I live close to our very own Rune and have been able to take part in many of the sneak peeks as they have come and gone going way back. I actually got to sneak peek CMBB before release as I was already way deep into CMBO back then. I'm one of the lucky ones that also got a sneak peek at CMBN before release too. Good times.

So yeah, been around awhile. I'm a huge wargamer, computer and table top. Love the CW era too. Also was an old school pen and paper role playing gamer.