Totally Unrelated

Nothing to do with CM - apart from it distracting me from it but...

I can hear Paul Mccartney singing from about 5 miles away! It's the Olympic 2012 opening ceremony and despite being in North London I can see the lights and hear the show.

Doesn't happen every day.

Nothing to do with CM - apart from it distracting me from it but...

I can hear Paul Mccartney singing from about 5 miles away! It's the Olympic 2012 opening ceremony and despite being in North London I can see the lights and hear the show.

Doesn't happen every day.

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa naaanaaaa naaaaaaaaanananaaaaaa....

I liked the ending with the butterflies, the torch stuff and "Hey Jude".

But, I thought the start was abysmal - looked like a cheesy BA ad for attracting tourists, combined with some UK ads I saw while there a few months ago.

If it wasn't for the commentary, I wouldn't have had much idea what on earth was going on, so heaven knows what people from other cultures interpreted it all as.

Without commentator explanation (always a bad sign when you need that to explain visuals) here's how it could have appeared to a nonplussed observer:

"There was once a happy people living in a green and pleasant land who sang and danced and were happy. Then an evil presence came over the land with evil dark-suited tyrants who turned the land into a black polluted wasteland populated by dirty, miserable extras who had escaped from an open casting call for "Les Miserables".

Soon, a large number of these poor peoples' children were disabled in some way, and even though they bravely struggled to continue singing, it was clear that their sad little voices had to be dubbed with professional voices. Somehow in all this, a golden ring was forged that would rule over the other four rings, and under the tyranny of the five rings, the poor children were sent away to factories where they lived in dormitory accommodations. Despite being tended to by well-meaning nurses, the children had nightmares of the horrors that had overtaken their land.

Soon, nearly all the white people had disappeared to be replaced by people from other nations who took over this land and with the help of the www began to sing and dance as the evil white anglos were eliminated from the land and it became some sort of a Jamaican-African paradise."

Now I know all this is nonsense... It was clear that the Queen, Royal Family, Prime Minister Cameron and the rest of the establishment were all laughing and jumping up and down joining in the joyous celebrations... (not). That's right, they looked like they were all at a funeral.

Also, the last time I was in London is was clear it was the Russians and Islamists had taken over, and Burkas were everywhere lol.

While the ending was better, Danny Boyle was not a good choice for director for the whole event.

England can be proud of Danny Boyle's opening ceremony. Stunning, original and definitely tongue in cheek. Well done lads ! The homage to the NHS was, to my mind, touching. I saw the ceremony on a south american TV channel. The two commentators were so quiet at times that it was hilarious. I guess they did not understand what this was about (and reading some of the posts on this thread I realize that they were not the only puzzled ones :D)

This was especially true regarding the soundtrack : The jam, Thin lizzy, The specials.... The two commentators only awoke with the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Queen and The sex pistols :rolleyes:

In the end, as far as I'm concerned, the only true let down was McCartney.

PS : with British pop and rock music being so huge, it must have been a pain for Boyle to chose the soundtrack. I was ready to write a formal letter of complaint when eventually Pink Floyd had its go with the fireworks. Dark side of the moon. Brilliant !

PS : I am the only one to think that the world would be a very grim place without the Brits ? :P

PS : I am the only one to think that the world would be a very grim place without the Brits ? :P

I personally can not imagine a world without Monty Python. The music is all bonus.

Just yesterday I had to play for a coworker the village idiot skit. Absolutely brilliant.

I remember reading somewhere that (in the author's opinion) the British see themselves as an adorable people who just can't understand why the rest of the world doesn't like them.

A clue to the answer might have something to do with the sense of superiority (unfounded - according to some) that runs deep in the British psyche. On certain days, and with the right kind of ears, one can still just make out the whispered lament: "Empire... Empire..."