CM Poll

This poll coulda have been a contendah. But the questions are insipid, e.g., are you male or female? How about: As a tactical simulator of WW2 do you prefer CM1x or CMBN?

Exactly how many nostalgic die hards are out there, really? Inquiring minds....

Well the poll reflects the questions that the person who created the poll wants to know the answer to. If you want the answer to different questions, then obviously you should created a poll to try and find that out, rather than carping that someone else isn't interested in the exact same questions you are.

This poll coulda have been a contendah. But the questions are insipid, e.g., are you male or female? How about: As a tactical simulator of WW2 do you prefer CM1x or CMBN?

Exactly how many nostalgic die hards are out there, really? Inquiring minds....

You can probably deduce the answer to that by looking at the poll questions themselves. You can see the results without voting by clicking the results button near the bottom and I have to admit that the results so far correspond with my expectations. The sample size is a bit small yet though.

He can pay me if he wants data from me. I accept checks, money orders, gift certificates to good restaurants (I reserve the right to decide what is good), bottles of sake, or Cabernets. Maybe some Paulaner Hefe-Weizen.. hmm beer....mmmm ....be back some time...

On second thought, paying isn't likely going to induce me to help, but back to my beer...

Did not do the pole but I fit the majority on I beleive every topic.

Even with the small group so far, I think it is already showing some general trends.

I smile at the fact of who is doing the poll, why would he do it if he hates the game so much. Oh well, lets not start talking about that again. It shows the fact that his opinions are not that of the majority. I still think he plays it and now he cannot let anyone know.

the one that captured my attention was area of interest. I always felt that the modern stuff needed to be in a game where you can sim. Nato against Russia, it was such a real possibility and we all want to see it played out in a wargame and experiment with the best forces from both sides. I know I did anyway. So none of the new stuff interested me because of the enemy forces. The closest one I came to buying was the afgan one. But Battlefront is leaving money on the table until they do that one.

I like that there is plenty of interest for the eastern front :)

Edit: I tried registering but it wouldn't go through for some reason.

That is no suprise, for any WWII wargame grog. that is the favorite front.

Many reasons, but here is just a few.

Anyone that studies the period knows that the German ground war was won and lost there. The majority of their forces were used and spent in Mother Russia. I remember that number to be 70% but am sure someone can correct me.

It covered such a large portion of the war 41-45, so their is many different combinations of units that faced each other at certain time frames.

Most WWII tactical war gamers are big Tank nuts (it might be a decease)

I know I am one. So where was most of the real tank battles and large armor accounts and where both sides had mammoth tanks. once again the Russian Front.

So, there is where all true war gamers generally find themselves wanting to be.

From what I understand, the reason why companys alway focus on the western front is because of sales from the average player which is not a true wargamer.

There largest group of sales come from the United States, which has the largest sorce of possible customers. So what theme best apeals to them, the one with american troops in it. That takes no future comment.

I think you'll find that he doesn't hate the game and in fact has produced at least one scenario for CM:BN.

That might be true, but he has a funny way of showing it. I really do not want this thread to go down that line of thought.

I will say, I thought the poll was not slanted and that the questions were well done in trying to get a general feel for what is going on in the CM community. So I will give him credit for doing that and found it interesting even though it only confirmed things I pretty much knew anyway.

I thought the number of people starting with CM:SF would have been higher.

I think this shows we are generally all in a age bracket that we found WWII as entertainment. It was in the shows we watched, our fathers had served in that war, those around us from the generation before had stories and so forth. I think many of us started long ago in the hobby and you see us still in it today. Yes we pick up others from other age brackets. But the poll reflects the large number that has followed through all of the phases of developement and change

We are often asked why we have the Poll feature of this Forum turned off. The answer is simple... they are useless most of the time. Why? Because the bias of the person posting the pole comes out in the questions. Ever been cold called to answer a political pole? You can always tell what they want just by which questions they ask, how they ask them, and what they're not asking:

"Do you think it is morally right to tax hard working rich people more, while lazy unemployed people pay no taxes at all? The answers are a) Yes, B) No, c) kill all liberal commie bastards!"

Heh... they're fun polls sometimes. I try to mess them up by not answering any loaded question. "But you have to select one of the answers, you can't say it depends on the situation. That's too flexible."

The other reason we don't support polls here is because of the self selecting audience problem. For example, in the Combat Mission forum you would expect a question about "Do you prefer to play CM:BN or Farmville?" to come back with an overwhelming CM:BN response. What does this tell us? That we have wargamers here. We don't need a poll to know that :D Likewise, I'd expect any poll asking which wargaming epoch people here want to play to be overwhelmingly WW2 based. Post the same question in the Shock Force Forum and the answer would likely come back overwhelmingly Modern.

Outsiders coming in can sometimes skew things even worse. A poll conducted to find out something specific amongst a particular audience, say modern wargamers, could be polluted by someone posting a link of the poll to a WW2 wargaming forum and having those guys go over and vote in an area they don't ever visit.

Worse, though, is the traps it can get you into. For the most part our customers never post here or rarely do. A larger number lurk, but still... I'd say the average customer doesn't even do that. Which means those who do post here probably are harder core than those who don't. And if that's true, then any polls here will likely reflect the harder core. A question like "do you want 10,000 more pieces of information available to you" might come back with a majority "Yes" even though 90% of our audience would barf if they had to experience something like that. Which is why polls have no value for figuring out what we should/shouldn't do with the game.

In short... polls can be fun sometimes, but their results are always suspect. Especially Internet polls.

Steve

A corollory of this is that if you post here, it is immediate evidence that your opinion is largely irrelevant, because you are part of the hard core minority of BFC's customers. In fact, posting an opinion here may even be an indication that BFC should do the opposite, because to follow the opinion of a poster here is to likely alienate the wider non-posting soft core majority of customers!

QED. ;)

GaJ

The other reason we don't support polls here is because of the self selecting audience problem. For example, in the Combat Mission forum you would expect a question about "Do you prefer to play CM:BN or Farmville?" to come back with an overwhelming CM:BN response.

Steve

You don't seriously think we believe you rate CMBN better than Farmville do you? We know that's what you were playing before the forum started going up in flames. Hell that's why we stirred up all that nonsense, we knew it was the only way to get your head out of that game...addict. Liberal commie addict. Probably playing using the State Farm 79 mod.

In fact, posting an opinion here may even be an indication that BFC should do the opposite, because to follow the opinion of a poster here is to likely alienate the wider non-posting soft core majority of customers!

The eastern front would be totally boring! Please, don't make an eastern front game! Especially one in which we could use the horrible T-34 85.