Campaign Die Letzte Hoffnung RELEASED!

Should be up on the Repository soon!

Take command of a Kampfgruppe based on a motorized Panzergrenadier battalion from 116. Panzerdivision during the Mortain Counterattack (Operation Lüttich)! Enjoy a narrative campaign in the style of Devils' Descent while you try to break through the Allied lines to Chérencé-le-Roussel. The campaign lasts between five and seven missions depending on the choice(s) you make and your success or failure in one mission.

Note 1: Die Letzte Hoffnung does not have nearly as much foul language in the narrative as Devils' Descent.

Note 2 (which I neglected to mention on the Repository): This campaign is historically inspired but not historically accurate. The Kampfgruppe composition is somewhat unlikely, but was done this way for balance and fun purposes. Furthermore, in Die Letzte Hoffnung, the timetable is pushed back by several hours to coincide with the 2. Panzerdivision's attack to the south. This was done for several reasons, the most important of which is that without having done this, the entire campaign would have been fought in the middle of the night. Finally, a victory in this campaign is actually a better historical result than the Germans actually achieved.

That's enough notes for me! Thanks to my playtesters, winkelried and Sublime! :) Please leave feedback at the repository or on these forums.

Enjoy! :)

-FMB

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Note 1: Die Letzte Hoffnung does not have nearly as much foul language in the narrative as Devils' Descent."

There is no way any self-respecting wargamer would play this new shamefully PG campaign. Do you have no shame or moral compass, sir!

Nope! I'm a total sellout. :D

Truth be told, I just couldn't visualize the characters being as foul-mouthed as the ones in DD. The main character in DD was responsible for a lot of the swearing, whereas the main character in DLH is, shall we say, of a more refined bearing. ;)

Welp, it's been more than nine hours since I made the initial Repository upload attempt, so I'm off to GaJ's site!

Thinking about giving this a go, since Devil's Descent was great. However, would like to know something about the scope. It states batallion size, but roughly how many platoons are involved in the seperate scenarios? And how long are the scenarios? 30 min or 1 hour each makes a big difference.

Thinking about giving this a go, since Devil's Descent was great. However, would like to know something about the scope. It states batallion size, but roughly how many platoons are involved in the seperate scenarios? And how long are the scenarios? 30 min or 1 hour each makes a big difference.

Hi rocketman,

The scope is a fair bit larger than DD. (I know this isn't to the tastes of everyone. ;)) The smaller scenarios have about five to seven platoons, and there's one massive engagement towards the end that involves the entire Kampfgruppe + supporting units and heavy artillery that has at least thirteen platoons. (It's a depleted battalion!)

The scenarios are mostly about 1 hr-1.5 hours. This is a pretty big jump from DD, but this is something to note in general: DLH is not a German version of DD. It uses many of the same concepts that I introduced in DD, but it is a substantially larger core force with substantially longer battles in substantially larger maps. It's also (I think! :D) at least perceptibly harder. Some people will like one campaign's scope more than the other. I tend to prefer the smaller, DD-scale, campaigns myself in general, but I also like some scenarios that are a little bigger while not too huge, and that's more what DLH is. So be warned! (And also be advised that I'm going to do more DD-scale campaigns in the future, so if that's your thing, don't lose hope! :))