Campaign Die Letzte Hoffnung RELEASED!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note edits to my original feedback post re 2nd scenario "Designer Notes" when I tested the SPLIT KG option and my findings re dismounted vehicles not appearing in the 2nd scenario.

Thanks for the edits. I frankly have no clue about the missing 234/1. When I get a chance I'll take a look at the narrative for that mission. :)

-FMB

Per my edit I think the 234/1 is missing cos it lost 2 crew. I realized that in my first run thru of the scenario the 234/1 that was dismounted did in fact turn up with its original commander as the new HQ. It was the original HQ that lost two crew that even though it remounted its 234/1, does not appear in scenario 2.

So, dismounted vehicles DO return (mounted) in future scenarios of a campaign. It is vehicles that have lost crew that do not reappear.

Per my edit I think the 234/1 is missing cos it lost 2 crew. I realized that in my first run thru of the scenario the 234/1 that was dismounted did in fact turn up with its original commander as the new HQ. It was the original HQ that lost two crew that even though it remounted its 234/1, does not appear in scenario 2.

So, dismounted vehicles DO return (mounted) in future scenarios of a campaign. It is vehicles that have lost crew that do not reappear.

I had one of my precious few tanks vanish in similar circumstances. It had lost two crew (down to 3 from 5), the crew had bailed but later recovered and recrewed the tank (which had some damage to its systems too). It was still taking a functional part in the fight at the end of the battle, but disappeared from the next scenario. While slightly vexing to lose a tank that was still capable of making a contribution, from a realism point of view it is hardly surprising that a damaged, undercrewed tank with morale issues was withdrawn for repair.

The real problem is that with the size of CMBN maps ther is little real function for recon vehicles. The is a huge value in recon, but when a map is so small that an inf unit could literally run across the whole map in 3 or 4 turns, one really needs recon INFANTRY, not vehicles.

Since using vehicles for recon on a small map is usually suicide from some of them at least, my SOP is to dismount the recon vehcicles and use the crew as foot recon (they have binocs). The problem there is that many crews only have sidearms, maybe one SMG at best. So, they can't get themselves out of trouble. However, I do find they are able to the recon mission much better than if they were in vehicles.

The other problem is that the entire crew bails out leaving no driver. It can take several turns to get back to their vehicle to use it as valuable light support after you know there are no nasties ready to ambush the recon vehicle. And of course no other unit can board and drive the vehicle to their location(!)

It would be great to be able to disembark the crew but leave a driver. Also, did they really have no decent hand weapons??

• 3 years later...

I know this is a bit of a necro-thread, but I fired up this Campaign recently in v2.11 and have been really enjoying it...and now I have a question for the Field Marshal about its design.

*** POTENTIAL SPOILERS (for those handful of forum-ites that haven't yet played this campaign...!) ***

I made the early decision to split my forces between the forest road and the town of Brouains. The forest road scenario was a brutal slog -- successful in the end, but with many casualties. Clearing those 

I am now moving on to the Brouains scenario, happy in the knowledge that I'm getting a new PzGren Company to work with. I am assuming that this scenario is designed to be taking place more or less simultaneously with the forest road scenario, so there should be no overlap of units. 

However, when I load the scenario, my "recon element" is composed of the two SdKfz 251/7 HTs and what must be the tattered remnants of the Pioneer team I commanded in the previous scenario. Why are these units showing up in this scenario? Am I wrong in my assumption about getting new units for this scenario -- or at least getting a portion of the units I had in the first scenario featuring the assault on the Factory and Dairy?

I'd be grateful for any info you can give on this...I'm perplexed...

Edited by PanzerMiller

Oh right...thanks Holien for reminding me that I forgot to state the engine I'm using.

I have not upgraded to the Version 3 engine (the one that is featured in Red Thunder), but have upgraded to the level just below that...whatever version number that is. 

I have seen the threads discussing major issues with older campaigns (such as this one) when loaded up in the newest engine -- which is another reason why I was a bit perplexed when I saw the above issues while playing in an older engine version.

I'm hoping campaign author Field Marshal Blucher can weigh in on this thread...hello?

OK that is interesting it might not be an engine issue? It des seem odd that others did get to keep all tanks?

I do think something is broken, but can not prove it...

Hope FMB is around to see this one day as it is a cracking design and I want to play it all way through...