Campaign Die Letzte Hoffnung RELEASED!

When do you playtest it, did you get casuality? I mean, I have losses and I afraid to the future missions. I didn't lost any vehicle, but my infantri is only 2/3. Will I get some reinforcement or I have to save them more?

Hi bardosy,

Yes, I did take casualties. ;) There are no replacements--where are you in the campaign that your infantry is at 2/3 strength?

-FMB

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame but only in the 4th mission: we clear the town Boi...something and then the crossroad [note: there was no mission picture for the crossroad mission] and because I choose concentrate, I got the other half of the KG at the last seconds of clearing the crossroad (so maybe the half group should be enough... but I'm very cautious.) And now I have to clear the road towards.

It's a shame but only in the 4th mission: we clear the town Boi...something and then the crossroad [note: there was no mission picture for the crossroad mission] and because I choose concentrate, I got the other half of the KG at the last seconds of clearing the crossroad (so maybe the half group should be enough... but I'm very cautious.) And now I have to clear the road towards.

Hi Bardosy,

I think you should be OK. 2/3 is maybe a little low for that point but I think you'll be fine. :)

-FMB

When fighting outside Chérencé-le-Roussel I noticed a gravestone in the middle of the field by the bocage to the SW of the town. Easter egg or just a "trap" for those who feel the need to look at every inch of a game map?

Jyri

Neither--it's a mistake. :D Erm, by which I mean, "Easter Egg," definitely. ;)

(What map was this on? Outskirts of C-l-R in the mission to take the town itself, or the previous mission?)

I started the mission to take the crossroads. I wanted to send all my unit's to the left and had to place many of them near the back of the map, only to see them disappear when I started the battle? I know the prior battle had a unit exit area sign. This one did not?????

Yes it did - did you perhaps toggle terrrain objectives off (which makes the exit objective for removing unwatned units disappear too).

Well, to be more precise, the exit objective was certainly visible to me, having got to that mission via the forest only route (concentration forces). I can't say what happens in the other two permutations of the scenario.

I started the mission to take the crossroads. I wanted to send all my unit's to the left and had to place many of them near the back of the map, only to see them disappear when I started the battle? I know the prior battle had a unit exit area sign. This one did not?????

Hi Hessian deserter,

TheVulture is right--there are exit zones in this mission. They SHOULD be visible, please check to make sure your objectives weren't turned off. :)

-FMB

Hi Hessian deserter,

TheVulture is right--there are exit zones in this mission. They SHOULD be visible, please check to make sure your objectives weren't turned off. :)

-FMB

Guten aben Herr Blucher,

My mistake. I did have objectives turned off to better view that nice map you made. Please do not send me to the Penal regiment for my incompetence.

I was wanting to send the entire first part of my Kampfgruppe through that first gate on the left just in front of the exit zone border. I am concerned some of them will accidentally vaporize and exit in the process of trying to get them all through the gate. I have no engineers to blast through any hedges. Do you think I should plan an alternate route to the intersection?

Dank'e Shorn:D

Guten aben Herr Blucher,

My mistake. I did have objectives turned off to better view that nice map you made. Please do not send me to the Penal regiment for my incompetence.

I was wanting to send the entire first part of my Kampfgruppe through that first gate on the left just in front of the exit zone border. I am concerned some of them will accidentally vaporize and exit in the process of trying to get them all through the gate. I have no engineers to blast through any hedges. Do you think I should plan an alternate route to the intersection?

Dank'e Shorn:D

Haha, no worries. :)

And yes, I'd recommend that you at least save before attempting it--I think in my playtesting I did something similar and it turned out OK, but it never hurts to be insured! :D

*******SPOILER********

FMB, the defending the town is very frustrating. :)

I know, it's a very realistic feeling to a German officer after D-day, but it's also a bad mood. :P

BTW, those infantry guns are really useless in that map, because there is no a good place to strike the Americans. They shoot all your shells to woods. Mortars are much better. :D

*******SPOILER********

FMB, the defending the town is very frustrating. :)

I know, it's a very realistic feeling to a German officer after D-day, but it's also a bad mood. :P

BTW, those infantry guns are really useless in that map, because there is no a good place to strike the Americans. They shoot all your shells to woods. Mortars are much better. :D

Hi bardosy,

SPOILERS IN A BIG WAY

It's interesting that you say that--what's frustrating about it? I had two other guys complain that it was way too easy. Is it the opening bombardment or the general positions? Were your tank losses very heavy in previous missions? I have some specific recommendations to help out with all of these.

Regarding the infantry guns, they take some getting used to. You can find some pretty good firing positions for direct as well as indirect fire for them. Do you want me to spoil the heck out of it? :D I can.

The reason you're not getting mortars instead is that, well, I gave you all of the mortars a normal company would be supported by. ;) I can look into adding some more support if you think it really necessary, but thus far all of my feedback has been that this mission is too easy rather than too hard.

Thanks for your feedback, and let me know what you're having problems with! :)

-FMB

END SPOILERS

My first attempt at the "le-Roussel" mission ended badly. Or at least is started badly and showed no signs of improving, so I'm starting it again.

I'm down to three tanks at the start though (2 Panthers, 1 Pz IV) with not a single tank knocked out by enemy fire. Five of the ten have bogged, and two that were fine at the end of the previous mission have mysteriously disappeared. One had taken a bad hit, the crew had abandoned the tank and taken two casualties. I got them back in to the tank and they carried on fighting. But that tank then failed to appear in the next mission, as did one of the Pz IVs that had also taken a few hits and some casualties. Losses to accumulated damage?

Anyway, my infantry have taken a bit of a beating too, but I have no idea whether I have enough left. In le-Roussel One platoon got pretty much wiped out by an inappropriately placed sherman, and another took heavy casualties to a mortar have been pinned in the open by enemy fire. Then I lost both my remaining panthers to the same dammed sherman as they tried to hunt him (guess they got cocky after taking out most of an American armoured company in the previous battle).

Then I lost some of my support vehicles to a mis-placed US mortar mission that landed in my hidden assembly area.

At this point I thought things were unlikely to improve and gave up the attempt. I think I'll try a different approach next time :)

• 2 weeks later...

FMB, great campain, I´d say it´s the first CMx2 campaign that I have played that actually felt like a campaign. I really liked the way you get whittled down as the campaign progresses.

SPOILERS (possibly)

I played tactical victories until the taking of le Rouselle. There I had a minor defeat due to two (broken) american soldiers hidden in a corner. I replayed the last 10mins of that one to get myself another tactical victory. I only had one tank left then for the final battle in which I only managed a minor defeat, but a campagn victory nonetheless.

my only gripes: Immobilized tanks that are otherwise functional would be nice to have in the next battle if it is fought on the same map. Don´t now if this is technically possible. I would have had three additional tanks in the last map :o)

Maybe (in your next campaign? :o) ) you could make it more clear when and if your units and artillery will get new ammo.

and one last question, why aren´t the recon units (Pumas etc.?) in the last two battles?

;1312826']FMB' date=' great campain, I´d say it´s the first CMx2 campaign that I have played that actually felt like a campaign. I really liked the way you get whittled down as the campaign progresses.[/quote']

Great! Glad you liked it. :)

Yeah, I can't do anything about this. Sorry. :o

Good call, I should probably do this better. :)

Well I'm on the last battle of this campaign...I've been slow and methodical..oh and a fair few mission restarts...

I have lost 3 tank, 1 armoured car, and around 80 men killed or wounded. Really not sure I have enough left to take this town.

Superb Campaign. I haven't really played CMBN extensively since I got it, mainly due to allround wargame burn out. So this is my first full on campaign, the only other one I've done to the end was the tutorial.

It's an amazing game and nothing out there comes close. It makes me think and it also teaches me tactics through trail and error..and it feels right when they work. It feels that that is they way it would be done in rRL.

Great work Bulcher and Battlefront. Though the West front isn't really my main interest it is still my No 1 wargame. The day I get the East front game in my hands is the day I've reached wargame nirvana.

I bugger....I thought taking the town was thelast mission so used up all my Arty. Also took a fair few casualties. Managed a tactical victory. Only to find out I now have to dfend it. Have three tanks left thats all.

I'm in trouble.

Heh, probably. :D

Give it a shot, though. Good tank placement can make a world of difference. :)

I bugger....I thought taking the town was thelast mission so used up all my Arty. Also took a fair few casualties. Managed a tactical victory. Only to find out I now have to dfend it. Have three tanks left thats all.

I'm in trouble.

Yup!

Unless your 3 AFVs are Panthers, you're in doodoo.

Did the same 'not realising that there was a counter-attack on the way' thing myself but had 3 Panthers and 4 PzIVs left so made it OK. Was painfully low on AP though, esp. the Panthers...

SPOILER:

You may need to actually counter-attack if you want to get a Major Victory - a lot of the points on offer are for destroying US forces, and, if you stop the initial waves, the remainder will hunker down and force you to go to them.

There is some raised ground by a large building just to the right centre on the town (looking towards the US approach direction - sorry I haven't got the save file anymore to look and see exactly where it was and by which building). Offers very good fields of fire, but only really for a Panther, because a PzIV won't last long there.

Good luck!

It's a great campaign.

R

I lost all my other tanks due to getting immobilised...I thought they would fix the track in between missions...sadly not. Also Thye are all IV's!! I had one pnather inin the previous mission...thaty was immobilised!!

I only have 230 men aswell...The last mission I lost to many men.