Next CM:BN Titles?

Over on Youtube...There is a nice 10-12 part show on "The battle of Caen"....It is part of the battlefeild 2 series, sorry i could not figure out how to paste the direct link?

It is the most detailed documentary I have seen about the battle for Caen and the surrounding area.

The maps in it, though, make the baby Jebus cry.

And the pictures and badly desynchronised to the audio. The description of the Churchill is illustrated with pictures of Crusaders, Matildas, and Centurions ...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the pictures and badly desynchronised to the audio. The description of the Churchill is illustrated with pictures of Crusaders, Matildas, and Centurions ...

Taken from the History Channel, I presume? Anyway, sounds like their kind of production.

Michael

I want CM:TW

Combat Mission Ticket to Warsaw.

Covering from sept through december 1939.

Axis player can be German OR soviets.

Allied player is Poland

Then we can discuss CM:BF 1940.

and CM:EA, covering the Japanese war in Korea, China, Indochina, etc.

I want CM:MM, Combat Mission Megiddo to Mordor, covering every single conflict in both history and fiction.

LOL,Would you like some cheese with your whine? and could you name me some WW2 documentaries that do not have the types of innaccurate footage. you described in your rant? To one degree or another they are in every ww2 documentary I have ever seen. Just what exactly was your problem with the maps? The snide remark you made with regards to it made me wonder if you are just having a bad day?

Please suggest to the members some better quality WW2 documentaries that we can critique. You sound like quite the expert.

I suggest you try books.

for those of us that have no disposable income? id love to get books and read them all but i have neither the money, let alone the space on my bookshelf for that amount of books...

if anyone knows a good series of docs to watch please do share them!

and could you name me some WW2 documentaries that do not have the types of innaccurate footage.

Probably not, which is why tv docos are pretty much a waste of time. Some are 'better,' some are 'worse,' none are 'good.' You're probably better off watching them with the sound off.

Just what exactly was your problem with the maps?

You mean apart from the lack of date, and them having the wrong forces in the wrong locations and moving in the wrong directions? Apart from that; nothing.

Please suggest to the members some better quality WW2 documentaries that we can critique.

Books and journal articles.

I did not realize WW2 books were error free either? but thanks for letting me know that.

Miaow :rolleyes:

for those of us that have no disposable income? id love to get books and read them all but i have neither the money, let alone the space on my bookshelf for that amount of books.

I've heard that libraries and e-books are both good solutions to the two issues you raise.

for those of us that have no disposable income? id love to get books and read them all but i have neither the money, let alone the space on my bookshelf for that amount of books...

You will learn more from one good book than you would from ten TV docs...infact those ten doc will just repeat the very basics of what you had read in the book....the book will give you so much more. I don't watch any WW2 or WW1 shows on TV anymore because all I hear is very basic stuff being repeated, I always used to look out for new TV docs and when they came around thoguht I'd learn something new...but it never happened I was usually left disappointed...so now I don't bother.

Paperless archive is currently (actually it seems perpetually) running a discount on a 4 dvd set for $99. That may seem like a lot, but it is the entire US army history of WW 2 and includes the entire Green book US army history along with quite a bunch of other related material. And it takes up no space on your bookshelf.

Probably not, which is why tv docos are pretty much a waste of time. Some are 'better,' some are 'worse,' none are 'good.' You're probably better off watching them with the sound off.

You mean apart from the lack of date, and them having the wrong forces in the wrong locations and moving in the wrong directions? Apart from that; nothing.

Books and journal articles.

Miaow :rolleyes:

I've heard that libraries and e-books are both good solutions to the two issues you raise.

I have an entire walk in closet that I have converted into a library for ww2 books. So I have read hundreds of them. And yes many of them have inaccuracies,

just like the doco's. Unless someone has been living under a rock somewhere they would realize this. What makes you think ww2 books or books in general are the Gospel or true. Especially the book that talks about the illigetiment baby you mentioned in your first reply to my post. Sounds like blind faith to me.

I would suggest in the future you watch something in it's entirety before playing "Judge JonS" with it. You only watched 3 parts out of 11. So that makes me wonder about the duration of your attention span.

Another good ww2 documentary that came out recently was the Patton 360 series. Let me guess,I bet you could nit pick that series to death also.:(

Thanks for all the suggestions people, thing is I hate reading off screens :) and will do nothing to improve my already declining eye sight! Ive downloaded a couple of docs to watch recently, and im watching Patton 360 aswell. hell I know the docs have inacuracies (even yours truly, whos WWII knowledge is good but nothing compared to most people arround here, can still pick out bits and pieces) but still entertaining to watch and well you get the jist of whats going on and keeps me motivated to play CMBN.

I have an entire walk in closet that I have converted into a library for ww2 books. So I have read hundreds of them. And yes many of them have inaccuracies,

just like the doco's. Unless someone has been living under a rock somewhere they would realize this. What makes you think ww2 books or books in general are the Gospel or true. Especially the book that talks about the illigetiment baby you mentioned in your first reply to my post. Sounds like blind faith to me.

I would suggest in the future you watch something in it's entirety before playing "Judge JonS" with it. You only watched 3 parts out of 11. So that makes me wonder about the duration of your attention span.

Another good ww2 documentary that came out recently was the Patton 360 series. Let me guess,I bet you could nit pick that series to death also.:(

What's with all this hostility? I pointed out that I think the doco you linked to is rubbish, and you come back with "Judge JonS," "blind faith," accusations of ADD, and all the rest of this nonsense? Do you have some personal involvement in the production of the doco, or are you just embarrassed to be called out for promoting rubbish? I gave up after 3 parts because watching it was making me dumber. I understand that they're somewhat limited in what footage is available, but the section on the Churchill was just awful. The maps are uniformly appaling, but worst of all was the analysis offered which is juvenile and highy confused at best and flat out wrong at worst.

Books and journal articles - the good ones - are better than docos. For starters they have the time and space to explore and develop coherent lines of argument, and they have references so you can - and I do - check for yourself whether the author is telling porkies.

I know full well that authors get things wrong, and their analysis can be flaky. That's why you won't find anything by Irving, Ambrose, or Kurowski in my library, and it's also why you'll find my books liberally littered with marginal notes.

PROTIP: critically assessing things is important. Claiming docos are 'teh bezt!!!1!' because they go well with popcorn and a 20oz bucket of coke isn't very compelling.