New modules? maybe Italy or France

MikeyD: I recall playing with Regimental sized forces plus a Battalion-equivalent of armor at least 6 or 7+ years ago... So, that was two or three generations of (my) computers ago. Probably a 486 processor and 1GB Ram running XP, or whatever was before that OS...

I know that many fans enjoy the small scale of CMBN. I found CMSF seemed to run ok with larger forces. Maybe the barren terrain helped. But, I know that on BoB site at least we're still designing a lot of CM1 campaigns with large forces and large-huge maps.

Once you get to level 4 and above the graphics of a well-modded CM1 starts to look pretty good. That's why I think CM1 is going to be played by quite a lot of CM fans (including CM2) until computer systems refuse to run it.

I think it's marvelous that the game systems are so different so that one can enjoy a very different experience in each. So, it's not a criticism of CM2 - only that there is a base that enjoys larger battles and CM2 simply cannot realistically deliver that (currently).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is why, among many other things ( beautiful landscapes and sceneries, great people, vaillant Rugby team, and a deep sense of pride and honor), I love your country.

I won't comment on the potato's part, though... :D:D:D

Have a good day.

Yea its not a bad place to live apart from the weather is bad most of the time only place with worse weather is Scotland potato's are good, was joking earlier about the surrender thing never been to France beleve the south is nice

It's funny that a ton of the 'surrender' jokes you hear about France come from Americans like myself ;) Truth is, if not for France, the USA might not have been. Still, humanity in general has a crude sense of humor, so it is what it is. My grandfather used to joke about Italy in WWII, he would say, "Look at this in the paper, WWII era Italian Rifles, never been fired and only been dropped once!" ;) lol

It's funny that a ton of the 'surrender' jokes you hear about France come from Americans like myself ;) Truth is, if not for France, the USA might not have been. Still, humanity in general has a crude sense of humor, so it is what it is. My grandfather used to joke about Italy in WWII, he would say, "Look at this in the paper, WWII era Italian Rifles, never been fired and only been dropped once!" ;) lol

I heard that before and A guy on another form told me if there was an Itallian rifle like that would be worth a fortune

(...) was joking earlier about the surrender thing never been to France beleve the south is nice

No offense taken, really. I was just playing along (thus the smileys).

Your comment wasn't offensive, by far.

There's so much crap posted on the Internet about our "french cowardness", you wouldn't believe it. That's the reason I do appreciate the Battlefront forums. When people are joking, it's usually in a good natured way - "bon enfant", as we say in french.

I know that, hopefully, friendly and educated people get the bigger picture when it comes to my country.

I served two years during the Bosnian war (1993-1995) with my fellow french soldiers under UN mandate and met great people from various foreign detachments. Those were awful times, I tell you.

Today, I often think about the soldiers serving in Afghanistan (whether they're french or not). May they come home and to their families safe and sound.

On a lighter note, if you have the opportunity, go visit our country, you won't regret it. So many different places to see, historically and geographically speaking (and you can go up north too....:)).

And the people are actually a lot nicer than it seems.....:D:D:D

Have a good day.

P.S : By the way, I hope my english is good enough and that I'm not making too many spelling mistakes.

Remember there's going to be a "CMSF2" one of these days, transferring modern war into the very much improved CM:BN game engine. Water, bridges, european terrain and buildings, rain, maybe snow depending on when/where the conflict takes place. They've already got 'core' CMSF vehicles for the usual suspects. There's no telling what may be 'new' over and above CMSF forces. French? Italians? Turks? Greeks? Koreans? Brazilians? Who knows! :D

If BFC adds this as expansion to CMSF, I´d purchase it full price. Fictional combat in eastern europe, or back dating the whole thing to a continued cold war, turning hot. :) ....well, as long as it´s not desert terrain again. :P

I second that! I have long ago come to the conclusion that I will buy almost anything BFC puts out within the CMx? range. CMx1 was fantastic and CMx2 is even better. Its really the only game I plat anymore. As for another module for CMSF, I would get it not questions asked. Unfortunately I don't see it happening. I played CMBN for a bit but have come back to CMSF. Not sure if its the modern setting or that I just hate hedgerows!

I would love to see BFC do a cold war gone hot minus the nukes. Radiation just kind of kills things. Some say that its not realistic but I look at a subject that wargamers (table top, other computer games, etc) have poured over and over again. Clearly I'm biases but a CM Cold War would be the end all be all of NATO v. Warsaw Pact.

Just my humble opinion.

Steve-o

In terms of playability and fun, I agree about CMSF. There is more room for maneuver in more of the CMSF scenarios. CMBN feels claustrophobic and the scenarios seem mostly smaller, with most requiring straight ahead assaults with little opportunity for flanking maneuver.

I would describe CMBN as more of a small scale/small map infantry wargame with armor very much in a supporting role. And some players here seem to prefer that. CM1 is more of a mech/armor game on large/huge maps with inf in support. CMSF is in the middle.

Am hoping that the next CMBN modules, once we're out of the bocage, will open the game up to more maneuver and mech/armor fun. I hope we won't have to wait for the Eastern Front to see larger scenarios and campaigns.

Of course the other tech issue is that CMBN is more resource hungry than CMSF, and LOT more than CM1. I get the feeling that only those fortunate to have high-end computers are able to tackle the few larger scenarios that are available in CMBN. Hopefully, BF can do something to optimize the engine so it can run more efficiently.

For me, a big part of the "draw" of CM is the option to hit the "random" buttons and end up with some improbable quick battle - so I at least would buy pretty much any expansion (if they were of a similar size and released at similar intervals to the ones we've had) just because of that. Not so fussed about what particular forces would be involved.

Now that BFC have moved on to CM:BN, any new modern warfare will most likely be a new Title which is a new, standalone, game, rather than a Module that could add on to the existing CM:SF.

This may seem bad, but having a new Title means that all the good stuff developed for CM:BN, plus some more new stuff, can be included without having to worry about breaking game balance or causing compatibility issues with the scenarios already produced. That way all the content is new and optimised for the improved game engine. There will almost certainly be Modules for the new Title, adding more content.

On a lighter note, if you have the opportunity, go visit our country, you won't regret it. So many different places to see, historically and geographically speaking (and you can go up north too....:)).

Have a good day.

P.S : By the way, I hope my english is good enough and that I'm not making too many spelling mistakes.

Your English is better than some native speakers I know.

+1 on visiting. Spent my honeymoon in and around Antibes, then up to Avignon, have also done a couple trips to Paris and day trips to Normandy. Gotta say between food and historical sites you folks are spoiled.

I've been mulling over the idea lately that for CMSF2 it might be cool to give us more of a kit element, up the content and price. After we get all the modules for a NATO Vs Russia (if that's what it's gonna be)...maybe another module that plugs in, with just new terrain and enemy forces, a kinda super module at title prices...so those of us that dig the middle eastern stuff could play there with the updated engine. I'd really like to take NATO into Afghanistan or in the least, return to the insurgency in Syria.

And of course the wet dream that would send me to wargaming heaven, if it were annouced...NAM! Man, I wish somebody would come out of the wood work to take that on.

Mord.

I personally like, in future, be able to play CMSF2, in a theater, for example, in the Middle East.

Six Day War, Yom Kippur 1973, Lebanon 1982.

I also once tried CMBN, but I do not like the bocage and are returned to Afghanistan and Shockforce.

For me the important thing is that the next game is more directed towards a better "immersive", that is perhaps more attention to aspects of graphics and animations, which are not as important, but they contribute a lot to make the game more challenging.

As for CMSF seems that will not be released new modules, patience ...

I hope, as a Warrior, perhaps in the future will be issued a new patch that contains a list of vehicles, including Afghanistan, maybe.

greetings

No offense taken, really. I was just playing along (thus the smileys).

Your comment wasn't offensive, by far.

There's so much crap posted on the Internet about our "french cowardness", you wouldn't believe it. That's the reason I do appreciate the Battlefront forums. When people are joking, it's usually in a good natured way - "bon enfant", as we say in french.

I know that, hopefully, friendly and educated people get the bigger picture when it comes to my country.

I served two years during the Bosnian war (1993-1995) with my fellow french soldiers under UN mandate and met great people from various foreign detachments. Those were awful times, I tell you.

Today, I often think about the soldiers serving in Afghanistan (whether they're french or not). May they come home and to their families safe and sound.

Have a good day.

I love France so much.

I also have been an Italian army officer, Alpine infantry, and I personally met some French soldiers, exceptional.

I've been many times in France, is a beautiful country.

greetings from italy

Is it possable to add vehicels with a patch?

It was done in CMX1...can't remember which titles. Possibly CMBO and maybe CMBB had a couple things added...but I doubt they'll do anything for Shock Force, especially at this late stage.

It took a while to get to this level but CMSF really shaped up and it'll be sad to see the trail blazer set aside...but it won't stop me from playing for a long time to come.

Mord.

Why don't give in "subcontracting" to a minor software or in a collaboration contract (like for CMA with Snowball) the development of new modules or variant for CMSF? Of course if economically is profitable.

I understand Battlefront points on moddability, also if I don't agree completly (it depends of the grade of moddability you leave), but if I can make a parallel wht the company where I work, when our lines of production are full and we can produce directly, for not lost a gain we make a subcontracting contract with a third for use his production lines; we gain less respect to a direct production but anyway more than not produce at all.

Mord.

I agree. I love this game. I was on pins and needles waitingfor CMBN but find myself playing SF more. And I really like BN. :)

Yeah, that was one helluva agonizing wait. Nice to be back in WWII.

I think the one thing CMSF has right now, over CMBN, is the larger amount of content, which of course CMBN will have eventually. Having had my comp crash twice in the last 6 months and having put CMSF aside until the latest NATO patch has really kept it fresh for me as well.

I really love all three of the CMX2 titles. It's nice being able to switch back and forth between time periods depending on my moods/interests at any given moment.

Mord.