Mord's Immersive American Voices Mod

Mord

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mord, going to try it out tonight. I've really been wanting this for some time. My only concern is that everyone will have the same voice. Any chance of adding more voices in the future (other actors)?

I believe it is difficult to get volunteer voices. Even more so for Brits when that comes out.

If you can offer some voice files I'd bet Mord would be interested :)

Yeah, Vincere has that right...it's really hard.

He's offered to help me on some CMSF stuff and we've had a difficult time coordinating...though I haven't given up on you buddy!

I've had about four guys volunteer to help act for the US guys in CMSF but every time we are gonna do it they just disappear.

It's not easy. But I would love that. My dream is to make the voice mods absolutely perfect with lots of variety. The best advice I can give you Seebee is try and find the more emotional of the stock files and blend them in with mine.

Mord.

Mord have you thought about beimg a voice actor for games?

LOL. My voice is pretty crappy, I'm not sure how well I'd do on that. Most game voices sound much more professional and polished. It'd be kinda fun though!

As someone else mentioned, I like these, but they are rather quiet... I was right on top of a guy who gets shot, and it sounds like the cry is in the distance...

GAJ, next time that happens, I am assuming you are playing WEGO, Yes? Save the turn or keep replaying the turn. Keep the camera in the general area and move it to and fro, up down and in a circular motion...this is how I tested a lot of the sounds in this mod and my CMSF mod...sometimes the camera angle has to be just right. It took me a while to figure this out on the CMSF mod. For a long time I kept upping and upping the volume of the files to no effect...it seems to have to do with exact camera angles.

Mord.

Hi there, thanks for this!

Quick one, I have not been able to read through the whole thread so this might have been answered already, apologies:

I am playing as German, Iron mode, in 3 scenarios as of late and although I have installed the mod I can not hear any of the new American voices.

Would that have to do with the fact I am playing Iron? Or is it simply that you can only hear those mod voices if you play amis?

Well, best way to test it would be to fire up the editor and put about a company or more worth of American infantry on the map...and just zoom around among them. You should be able to tell if it's working properly.

As far as the game you are playing now you should be hearing it. Might have to get closer to them. Don't know if iron would affect the sound or not as long as they are spotted.

Mord.

Kudos again for such a great mod. It really does increase the immersion factor by a hundredfold, because the voices are so adrenalin-charged and there's such a wide variety of things they say. Also, they're so often exactly the right thing troops would say at that given moment. I'm still using the original version and I'm fine with it -- I actually like the lesser quality of the voices because they sound more like they're outdoors, running and a bit, and drowned out by the noise of combat.

A tip to anyone who does record voice mods: Take your mic outdoors to do it. It really does make a huge difference because of the ambient background. It's an old radio news trick we used to do: Record the story in the field, edit the tape, then step outside the studio to record the script. When you splice your voice into the story, it sounds more "immediate," as if you spoke the words while you were still on the scene. (An old pro told me the CBC radio news HQ in Canada actually had a patch of lawn outside the studio with little joke signs in the ground labeled "Paris," London," "Moscow," etc.)

Yes, will do. Thanks.

Another quick one just to make sure: once decompressed and in the z folder we do not really need to move all files to the z root folder now do we? Leaving them in each subfolder should also works, correct?

You're welcome, and yes, just move the one folder into your z folder the data folder will automatically search and load the files in the sub folders.

Kudos again for such a great mod. It really does increase the immersion factor by a hundredfold, because the voices are so adrenalin-charged and there's such a wide variety of things they say. Also, they're so often exactly the right thing troops would say at that given moment. I'm still using the original version and I'm fine with it -- I actually like the lesser quality of the voices because they sound more like they're outdoors, running and a bit, and drowned out by the noise of combat.

Thanks very much. There was a good amount of thought that went into the phrases to try and keep them sounding authentic and relevant to the situation...they aren't always 100% but are close enough for most events most of the time. I had to keep in mind that squads could be split down to groupings as small as two men and a lot of phrases would be shared among different types of troops (infantry, gun crews, tankers)...so I needed to watch how and who was being addressed, with each phrase...for instance you don't want a guy screaming "lets go men", if there's only one other dude in his squad. But keeping the amount of times I say "men" in the phrasing to a minimum also keeps the likely hood of it coming out at the wrong time, very low. Also I couldn't use anything more specific than soldier or a rank because I didn't want one of the infantry guys calling another man a tanker or something. But I think there's a decent enough mixture of vague phrases, specific phrases, and speaker perspective (I, you) to keep it pertinent to whats happening during most of the action.

Again, thanks for the compliments. It was an epic mod to make and I still can't believe I finished it in one week. It brings me a lot of satisfaction knowing a lot of you guys are enjoying it.

A tip to anyone who does record voice mods: Take your mic outdoors to do it. It really does make a huge difference because of the ambient background.

LMAO! Man, I would've went to jail or a mental institution if I'd done that.

Mord.

Mord, I just got done with the read me for my mod, and I have been working on it in my free time for a week straight, so I have only played one small scenario since I downloaded your mod. But man-o-man, does this mod ever make a difference! It is really a great piece of work. You ever think of an acting career?:D

Cheers, my friend.

I think I have my sound setup like I want it...almost.

Mord's American Voices. Check.

Dietrich's German Voices. Check.

Splash Music - Band of Brothers theme. Check.

End of Battle Music - Lili Marlene. Check.

Intro Music - Original CMBO Intro. Nostalgia Check.

Vein's Support Chatter. Check.

Vein's Sounds. Check? The rifle are a bit too "poppy", but it's good.

Somebody's SPR Bullet Zings. Check.

Mord's No Background Noise. Check? I am torn on this one, but the annoying wind tunnel is gone, even if I miss the background combat sounds.

The game is sounding great. Now, if only we can get some of the generic sounds split to specifics, I'd be in the sound version of hog heaven. I still think the MP40 should sound different than an M1A1, and they should both sound different than an M3, for example.

@Agua...You are welcome man, thanks for digging it/

@ MJ...LOL yeah, I know that feeling brother. Once you get on a project it's like you just can't relax until it's done...your stuff is looking really good, It'll be cool having all those patches and stuff to add to the atmosphere. Thanks for the compliments...and LOL I am a horrible actor but alone and for game purposes it's pretty easy to do...I'd be embarrassed doing that in front of people!

@Bloody Bucket...I am trying to find the two Steel Panthers themes we had for CMBO...I loved those. As far as the weapons sounds...I am hoping BFC includes some more specific ones in a patch. If memory serves me correctly they added some new sounds/weapons in CMSF patches.

The no background mod...did I make that? I remember posting a dled link for a quick fix but never uploading it any where.

Mord.

@Mord Thanks for all the time you put into this. I have been mixing much of yours with some from other sources for a variety. You have a good voice for this, and some good lines. 'Wars over for you Mac!' I think this is your best one yet.