If you haven't played the Devilss Descent Campaign ... DO SO!

I have always enjoyed playing the CM series (although I'm brand new to the CMx2 engine). This new way of doing "Personal" campaigns with the option to make CHOICES inside of the campaign is not only ingenious but a hell of a lot of fun!!!

It is very smooth and extremely polished and VERY original. I hope the Battle Front team takes notice of this campaign! It would be really cool to include the "Choice" option directly inside of the briefing.

Also, hopefully the rest of the modding community takes notice of this campaign. It could be a pretty cool way to incorporate higher level tactical command decisions into scenarios. .... Maybe you are a battalion commander in charge of 3 companies and support?? .... Where do you send the companies?? ... Where do you send the support elements?? How do you assign mission support???

This campaign proves that to a certain extent it's already possible with the EXISTING software!! ... This would be a very cool aspect for the Battle Front team to follow up on for a future release.

Anyways, contradulations and thank you to Field Marshal Blücher and the other people who made this campaign possible. It adds a whole new layer of love for my pixletruppen!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I'm 5 missions in and I like this campaign a lot. Probably also because of the much more manageable scale too, after playing courage and fortitude, which was not only larger but a ton of weapons platoons, which are cumbersome to move and watch over in bulk.

question though: What happens to the designer's narrative (in designer notes) if Evans/Johnson/Spurgins get killed during your gameplay? Do following missions still have Evans cussing around left and right (from the grave)?:D

You get it on the repository on the www.battlefront.com website. You have to sign in to download files from the repository.

Once you download the campaign, unzip it and drop the uncompressed file into the "Campaigns" data folder in one of the subdirectories that the Combat Mission game was installed in on your computer.

Run Combat Mission ... when you click on the "Campaigns" button in the menu ... Devils Descent will appear!

Played the first mission and lost 2 men and one wounded...two Germans left...I've decided to wait for reinforcements in the next mission....love the option idea...very innovative...

I lost 1 WIA and 0 KIA on the first one (I play on Warrior difficulty). I've done the exact opposite and decided to be aggressive and go for the town before light. Maybe the fighting will bring in the lost squad. We'll see what happens!

This game is a masterpiece.

I agree.This campaign is the best yet.As I said in another thread,The ability to make choices about what to do next adds an RPG element and really puts you in the Company Commanders shoes.You also develop a real love for the guys you command.

I lost Lt. Johnson in the third mission and was very saddened by this,and Fitzgerald has been limping around since mission one,and I am now in mission five.One more hit and he is done for.:( We need more missions like this.My only complaint,I downloaded the 2nd ranger skin and for some weird reason when my AT guns came into the game from the Glider unit,they are all wearing 2nd Rangers insignia.Not a big deal,just curious as to why this happened.2ND Ranger AT gunners.:D

Wholeheartedly agree about everything said above.

I'm on Mission 4, with two squads down to 4 or 5 men (Nasty surprises in #2), and everyone getting low on demo charges/Ammo (Nasty surprisers were nastily surprised :D)

I found myself keeping reserves more out of caring for these poor pixeltruppen than actual necessity, which is a first in any game.

Great job Battlefront, and Great job FMB, hope to see more of the same!

~Schwabian

Normandy deffinatelly has a bright future scenario and campaign wise, especially with all the scenerio and campaign makers with experience in CMSF such as Paper Tiger. Now we add all the new options normandy brings and well jeje cant wait

I agree.This campaign is the best yet.As I said in another thread,The ability to make choices about what to do next adds an RPG element and really puts you in the Company Commanders shoes.You also develop a real love for the guys you command.

I lost Lt. Johnson in the third mission and was very saddened by this,and Fitzgerald has been limping around since mission one,and I am now in mission five.One more hit and he is done for.:( We need more missions like this.My only complaint,I downloaded the 2nd ranger skin and for some weird reason when my AT guns came into the game from the Glider unit,they are all wearing 2nd Rangers insignia.Not a big deal,just curious as to why this happened.2ND Ranger AT gunners.:D

Because all you army men will have 2nd ranger gear on in all your games from now on...until the bring in declas it's something we have to put up with...you will have to pick and choose the uniforms you want before you boot up...

Because all you army men will have 2nd ranger gear on in all your games from now on...until the bring in declas it's something we have to put up with...you will have to pick and choose the uniforms you want before you boot up...
Ahh,thanks Wodin.I found out I need to take the 2nd Ranger Mod out of my Z folder before booting up the game,No big deal,just glad I don't have 50,000 Rangers running all over Normandy.Although,it would be a good thing and an easy way to Win the War in short order.:D