If you haven't played the Devilss Descent Campaign ... DO SO!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished the first scenario of Devils Descent and opted to attack the town. I was taken to a road on a hedgerow with two teams. Per instructions, I gave them move orders (N key) to go to the far end of the road where the attack area was. The teams arrived there and now nothing is happening. I keep pressing for the next turn, it processes and nothing happens but time goes by. What am I missing or not understanding? Thanks.

I'd like to add my thanks to the good Field Marshall for giving us a most absorbing and fun campaign. Top quality stuff.

Like some others here I found myself worrying about ammo at times. By the time I had taken the Town I had a couple of HQ type units completely out and a couple of squads were getting dangerously low. The resupply, when it came was a welcome relief.

My only niggle was that the final battle was a bit too easy, more of a turkey shoot than a fight. Perhaps I just got llucky, but it didn't give me the anticipation and excitment of the earlier fights. I mustn't make too much of this, though, all in all it was a brilliant campaign and I would thoroughly recommend it.

Gunnergoz, just select ceasefire from the menu.

I have to echo the praise for this campaign, great stuff.

Thanks, I was pretty groggy last night when I wrote my request. It is clear now what I was overlooking...I forgot that "ceasefire" is a key on the menu and was thinking literally. Duh. :P

I just wanted to relay my thanks for this hefty bit of work too. I enjoyed it very much! The "choose your path" part of the adventure was pretty darn cool. While it wasn't extremely difficult, I think that avoiding the frustration factor in a campaign is important to keep the ball rolling at this point. Well done!

Also, thanks to BF for the game. It's more fun than I'd imagined.

Excellent campaign. I'd request the creators to continue with the story and/or make a Axis campaign with a similiar storyline. I played it through on veteran. Very enjoyable, though not too difficult. Maybe next time increase the difficulty a little somehow?

Once again though great campaign

Had a lot of fun playing this campaign; my only criticism is that it was too easy. I think dropping the quality of the troops is a great idea, the current set up doesn't punish mistakes, so I got to rush the missions and I'm sure didn't appreciate all that was on offer.

Highly recommended as an "intro", looking forward to more!

The NCOs can be cynical but tactically smart and battle-hardened veterans of the Eastern front. And then maybe a Nazi or two in the officer corps, especially if it's a replacement one who comes fresh from training or a rear HQ and hasn't had time to appreciate the facts on the ground.

My thoughts exactly. The film "Cross of Iron" shows how it is perfectly possible to create "loveable" German protagonists.

Had a lot of fun playing this campaign; my only criticism is that it was too easy. I think dropping the quality of the troops is a great idea, the current set up doesn't punish mistakes, so I got to rush the missions and I'm sure didn't appreciate all that was on offer.

Highly recommended as an "intro", looking forward to more!

What level are you playing at? Have you tried Iron mode? Are you playing RT or WEGO? It makes a lot of difference in gameplay if you have too much information about the enemy. In Iron mode, you just don't get it right of way. Your biggest worry will be that MG42 and 81mm mortar. You will wonder which one of those spotted icons they are. Then it may be too late. If you are playing in Iron mode, then I bow to you. If not, try it. You may change your mind in how easy it is.

LOL :) have posted about this several times already , best Campaign to date ! sheer genius. Love the ability to make decisions , love the close attention to the Core units and resulting importance of losses. Please add more support for this sort of campaign BF , its the way Campaigns should be IMO. Playing a battle has its place but then I always have that " is that it ? " feeling by the end of it. Need as much continuity as possible between battles in a campaign and anything that can help build that affinity between the player and the troops. BF did mention a while back they are softening to the idea of adding limited experience gains over applicable time periods too.

FMB,

I would suggest we at least consider that profanity (even in the uniformed services) was not as common place or pervasive as Hollywood would have us believe. Make no mistake, they cursed in the 40s, but it was not as lasse faire as we find today.

MCB

Thank you!

I have been making this point for years. Hollywood replaced way too many "Golly's!" with "F-- you's!"

Best bet is not to think of them as ideological Nazis -- at least not the average low-ranking Wehrmacht trigger-puller. Just think of them as generally apolitical young boys trying to survive, doing their duty, and following orders, just like the Americans. A little more motivated because now they're defending European soil, and mad because their parents and girlfriends are getting bombed back home. They're confident that they're the superior soldiers and have better weapons. But they've seen the Allied resources and firepower, they're starting to doubt the official propaganda now, and it's started to dawn on them that they could actually lose the war. The NCOs can be cynical but tactically smart and battle-hardened veterans of the Eastern front. And then maybe a Nazi or two in the officer corps, especially if it's a replacement one who comes fresh from training or a rear HQ and hasn't had time to appreciate the facts on the ground.

If you reference Beerfest for your German inspired dialogue it can only succeed!

Great job FMB!

I finished with 21 killed/18 wounded (vs 219/115/16 for the enemy), most of those were in a couple of unfortunate miscalculations regarding LOS and enemy AFVs.

The concept was great, my only criticism would be the last battle, my defensive force was never really threatened, their mortar team racked up 60 casualties! I will definitely go back through it again with different choices. Well done!

TT

It's excellent.

Is it possible to edit the briefings and notes? I have a youngster I'd like to hook on CMBN, and I think this campaign is the perfect bait, but I'd like to tone down the salty language.

Not quite, but send me a PM with your email address. I can email you a .zip file with the briefings in it. You can edit them, send them back to me, and I'll re-compile a "clean" campaign. :)

Great job FMB! Really fun campaign and I can see myself going through this again. Feel free to make more just like this one! :) Difficulty was spot on since I felt this was more about the story elements and making choices. Thanks!

Just finished the campaign; I had a great time, thank you so much!.

I liked the village with the church, it felt very real, and not like a "map"

I had a thought for you if youre doing a german campaign and working on dialog and backstory...

Read, or re-read All Quiet on the Western Front. Its a quick read, and although its WW1, it gives a great internal monologue, and daily interactions in an infantry squad; just the sort of thing that could inspire some good briefings

Thanks again!

Foobar