Any planes for a pacific mod

I would absolutely LOVE for there to be a Pacific version of this game. There's all this argument that it would be boring, but I don't see how with all the emplacements and terrain ranging from jungle to volcanic rock, the vehicles such as the flamer tank and the amphibious tractor. Imagine trying to cross the Tenaru on Guadalcanal with a Marine raider squad and having one of your men eaten by an hidden alligator, then have to face a hidden Japanese Nambu machinegun emplacement and a sniper tied to the top of a tree. Or, imagine you're a battalion commander of the 5th Marines trying to get your men across the airfield at Peleliu, or a company commander looking up at Mount Suribachi. I think the tactical opportunities are absolutely endless!

It would be great if there were eventually a Pacific game in the series, however I think the main challenge is that in the Pacific theater land operations were closely integrated with naval forces, which is really beyond the scope of the engine (as it was with CMx1).

The ships themselves, particularly the larger ones like destroyers, cruisers, battleships, and transports don't need to be modelled at all. They were, in many cases, miles off shore (10+ miles in the case of Tarawa). Any of the bombardement aspects can be handled much like off-map artillery is handled, just with their specific wait times applied, etc...

What WOULD need to be modelled would be the beaches and tides, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be much more than a play on water obstacles as they stand now. Once on land, the Marines/soldiers fought on their own without the Navy directly involved aside from fire support and supplies, the latter of which isn't graphically modeled, anyway.

You'd spend a lot of time doing crazy Japanese entrenchments and tunnels. I don't know how fun it would be to play, maybe something like CMSF with red fanatics. The Japanese were always dug in and always defending. A human player could spend two days on their setup and then never move a single unit.

I think to make a Pacific module would require much more work than you think. This conversation has come up many times in the past and its been stated that there are no plans to do a Pacific version of the game. Official comments in the past have stated they don't have much knowledge and are not interested in the Pacific.

As for the work involved, all new weapons, graphics, terrain (lots of thick jungle)caves, all new TO&E (lots of research), caves, etc, for both marines and Japanese. You also have to figure out how to model bonzai charges, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it but realisticly for the scope of Combat Mission it probably would not do wonders for the game.

Don't forget the CBI theatre was part of the Pacific. I'd love to see both the island hopping and Phillipines/Burma actions, but to do it right would require it's own game (maybe several, like the Eatern Front) and modules, I'd think. Then again, maybe some one will mod it (like the Korea CMSF mod) or a 3rd party will make it (like CM:A). We can hope, anyway.

• 1 month later...

I doubt more than half of CM buyers are not American, but you never know.

However, armor sells wargames to the average person off the street without the slightest notion of grogginess or playing pbem, and the Pacific ain't got much in the way of sexy armor.

So, don't look for BFC to spend all the painstaking time they take for game releases on something that probably has very limited potential.

I think that BFC have said they aren't interested a few times over the years. It would be great to have an independent group do a CM:A-type of deal.

As stated above, the research alone would be a large undertaking. Then combining that into the engine with all those new units and terrain is another whopper of a job.

I go on record as saying I would pay full BFC price for the game and any Modules, if it were to ever come to pass.

Though beeing "german", I´d rather like seeing a Pacific module, instead of any revisit of a desert TOW. As already has been pointed in the Maps&Mods section, modding CMN to italy seems to be possible and if BFC ever considers an early war module (France 1940), as desert mod would not be long to be waited for.

I see some issues with high density jungle maps and game performance, as well as varity for battle types in the pacific though. Western and eastern front TOW offers way more in this regard IMO. But a +1 for pacific...at least after Bagration & Barbarossa.

Nah not into the pacific. You'd end up playing with the trees turned off on a round flat map representing an island. Or a round map with a pointy bit in the middle - then spend the next two hours pinned down ona beach or combing the island for the last few holed up defenders. Nah Ost Front all the waaaaay :P

I cannot think of a bigger waste of effort - truly. But then perhaps because I loathe playing the AI and cannot see why any human would wish to play the Japanese. However for people who play the AI I can see they might find it fun to plough an island with shellfire and then beat up what is left.

I do think the desert gets a lot of bad Press particularly when you consider that Tiger Valley was the greatest scenario to come out of CMAK. Whatever you may think now I suspect that 6 months down the road tanks will be recognised as the fun units to play with.