The Intel Giveaway

I was just playing my first game on "Iron" difficulty, and I was surprised to see that I had insta-recognition of enemy unit functions. For instance, clicking on an icon for a visible enemy soldier told me not just that he was a rifleman but that he was part of "Squad 2 / Team B." This is obviously unrealistic (how would I know what squad a soldier was in, or that it had been split for tactical purposes?).

Still, this would be no real problem except for the new ammo carriers CMBN introduces. If I can click on a spotted rifleman and see that he is part of an "AT Ammo Carrier" team, my opponent's well-planned AT gun ambush goes out the window.

I guess we can be gamey and use our ammo carriers as decoys across the map, but that seems contrary to the spirit of CM.

Please fix or do somefink, etc.

I am pretty sure Steve said they were gonna get this in (fixed)...apparently not in the release but in a patch or something...we had a big discussion about this a few months back.

I agree, you should only know they are soldiers or maybe an officer but in no way their entire info such as squad and the like.

Mord.

Would we lose anything if enemy squad/team labels were just left completely blank? The game is pretty close to WYSIWYG, and there's no reason a player should be told more about the identity of an enemy unit than he can see on the model itself.

If I see a soldier at shooting distance, can I really tell a panzergrendier from a foot infantryman/engineer/etc anyway? Should I be able to identify a MG team if I can't actually see the guy with the MG?

Leaving enemy labels blank (at least for higher difficulty levels) would solve this problem neatly.

The TRULY gamey will use this feature to deceive their human opponents. Put your ATG ammo bearers wayyyyy off on their own on one side of the map, with a good overwatch position of the enemy's approach route. As soon as they see a nearby-ish enemy, tell them to start blasting away with their rifles. Your gamey opponent will id them as ATG ammo bearers, infer that you have an AT gun nearby, and spend time and ammo plastering the area. Meanwhile your AT gun is actually somewhere else, entirely untouched...

The TRULY gamey will use this feature to deceive their human opponents. Put your ATG ammo bearers wayyyyy off on their own on one side of the map, with a good overwatch position of the enemy's approach route. As soon as they see a nearby-ish enemy, tell them to start blasting away with their rifles. Your gamey opponent will id them as ATG ammo bearers, infer that you have an AT gun nearby, and spend time and ammo plastering the area. Meanwhile your AT gun is actually somewhere else, entirely untouched...

Muahahahaha!

And where's my CPU!?

It's the ONLY thing I'm missing from CMx1: the progressive intel on enemy units, but I guess BF isn't totally satisfied with CMx2 intel.

You should know less at first contact, and maybe more at the end (guessing the experience level of an enemy unit after half an hour of combat doesn't seem unrealistic to me...?)

Spotting one man and immediatly knowing he belongs to the 2nd rifle platoon means that his 10 fellows are not far, and that it's worth bringing some heavy firepower around.

Spotting HQs is tricky also: I suppose officers didn't wear so much distinctive signs to avoid being spotted by snipers (although I remember reading that a german sniper in Normandy was told to target men with moustache as the occurence was supposed to be higher among officers).

Quest for realism is a bottomless pit...

The biggest thing I'm missing, too, is sound contacts of tanks.

The problem with CMx1 was that once you heard them you pretty much knew where they were. Its fair that this problem has not been propagated. But the opposite is pretty nasty: tanks appear out of no where with no prior warning, instead of that nasty "I can hear it where is it" thing that would really have been happening.

...with very little ammo as most of it is with the ammo bearers being cut to ribbons. :)

Seriously - worth keeping that in mind what effect that has on your AT guns ammo count.

The biggest thing I'm missing, too, is sound contacts of tanks.

The problem with CMx1 was that once you heard them you pretty much knew where they were. Its fair that this problem has not been propagated. But the opposite is pretty nasty: tanks appear out of no where with no prior warning, instead of that nasty "I can hear it where is it" thing that would really have been happening.

Sounds contacts are in. They're displayed as <?> if I understood correctly.

(although I remember reading that a german sniper in Normandy was told to target men with moustache as the occurence was supposed to be higher among officers).

Quest for realism is a bottomless pit...

Just make you dont hit the man with the beard though, he is most likely Santa! (Usama wasn´t born)