Will more vehicles be added later?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I think it fought in every important carrier battle except Coral Sea and was thus of unique historical significance. It was a strange oversight not to have preserved it as a museum piece.

Michael

If I remember right, the nuclear carrier Enterprise was named so, because of the disappointment of people that had fought to preserve the original carrier and failed. I imagine that at the time- only a bit over a dozen years since the end of WW2, there wasn't yet the nostalgia that we all feel, so even though many saw the historical value of preserving some of the most important parts of that war, many just didn't see that.

Funny how at one time thousands of units of a particular tank, aircraft, etc. were made, and many of those survive the war, yet today only a few examples of some are left. If I could time travel, I'd want to go back a couple years after the war and buy up so many things for cheap and ship them off to a huge warehouse in the Arizona desert!

Yes, the M8 Howitzer Motor Carriage based on the Stuart chassis with a "no barrel" 75mm howitzer as the main armament. A different vehicle than the M8 Armored Car - and BOTH will be in CMBN.

No, I was thinking of a completely different vehicle, whose correct name is the T8E1. Here is a model of one that has been modded to represent one in British service. As you can see, the turret has been completely removed and a .50 HMG mounted.

Michael

No, I was thinking of a completely different vehicle, whose correct name is the T8E1. Here is a model of one that has been modded to represent one in British service. As you can see, the turret has been completely removed and a .50 HMG mounted.

Michael

Oh! I forgot about those! LOL! Once again that whole designation confusion! Thank goodness for the Brits giving us names for a lot of our equipment, because otherwise it would be even worse trying to figure things out!

Oh, I can think of two... make that three pieces of armor that had made it into the Beta at least briefly and then got yanked. Usually accompanied by the soulful cry "Nooooo! It wasn't fielded til September?" But to make up for it I can also think of two unscheduled vehicles that unexpectedly arrived for inclusion. Historical digging into introduction dates giveth, and it taketh away. :o

Against US forces before September? I thought the first action was against the Brits getting on towards September.

Steve

According to the Wikipaedia article that JonS linked to, this was what they had to say on Jagdpanthers in Normandy.

Destruction of most of a Squadron from 6th Guards Tank Brigade by Jagdpanthers from 654 schwere Panzerjägerabteilung on or about the 31st July

Regards

KR

Interesting. But were these used by the US army?

Hard to say. A quick google scan only turned up references on modeling sites. One mentioned that removing the turret made the vehicle lighter and therefore faster with longer range. But without the gun, it would be at an even greater disadvantage in any kind of serious fight. My guess is it may have been tried for a while in some cavalry or recce units, but not widely adopted.

Michael

• 1 month later...

I would like to see more US stuff, like the 105mm howitzer and especially the M12 155mm SP artillery. I would like to be able to create scenarios where the Germans penetrate to the US artillery line, as occurred in a number of instances in Normandy, Lorraine, pursuit across France, and the Ardennes.

Interesting. But were these used by the US army?

My Hunnicutt collection is getting a workout today. According to his Stuart book, the T8 and T8E1 were ordered evaluated by Army Ground Forces and 2 M5AI's had the turret removed and a gun ring with a .50 added in its place. The Ordnance Board evaluated them and found them superior in cross country performance to the M8 and M20 but the latter two were quieter. In the end the Armored Board recommended the adoption of the M24 light tank as a standard reconnaissance vehicle.

The T8 had the .50 ring offset to the right over the vehicle commander, who sat in the open area in the upper hull where the turret used to be. The T8E1 had the ring centered over the turret opening in the open hull. Both models mounted a smoke mortar, carried 10 land mines and had a crew of 4.

Hunnicutt mentioned that during the war "many light tanks were frequently modified in the field for use as command or reconnaissance vehicles," which is probably how the idea of an official M5 recon variant got seeded in Army Ground Forces to begin with.

So yes, vehicles similar to the T8 existed as extemporaneous field modifications, but no actual T8's were produced beyond the two prototypes. I've only seen the odd photo of them in the field so it is hard to say how many were actually modified.

Most of those museum Hetzers were postwar I would suspect. Then 'backdated' to resemble their German wartime cousins for display purposes.

Yup, most are likely post-war Swiss purchased Czech made models. There are ways to tell the difference, but I can't think of the specifics off the top of my head. Bolt counts on the wheels, I know, is one of the ways to tell the difference even if other things are modified to look like WW2 production.

Of course we'll be adding more stuff to CM:BN as time goes on. After all, what would we have for Modules if we released them with no units in them? :D

Steve

Jagdpather will definitely be in a future Module. It wasn't available for CM:BN's initial timeframe so it's not right for it. Same with two of my other personal favorites... the Hetzer and M-18 Hellcat.

Steve

And the PSW 234/3...that's one of your favorites too right? Right?

And the Nashorn, and Wespe...and...

Mord.