Once CMBN is installed...

QBs are sweet, but don't forget there's also going to be proper scenarios with real historical backstories, often at historical map location, with logical victory objectives and properly customized AI order sets. Nothing beats a well-crafted scenario. A 'great' QB = a 'good' scenario in my opinion, even a fancy-schmancy cherry picking QB. ;)

So true !!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how much I can say about it just yet, but I'll assure you that there will be an inclusive tutorial that is geared towards both total newcomers and CM veterans.

This is great news.

I have never player CMSF (well, I tried the demo a little bit) and was wondering if veterans with CMx1 that had never played CMSF will be at a significative disadvantage when playing CMBN against those that have played CMSF.

Is the learning curve really steep? Or nothing a good manual read / tutorial could not help fix? We will all be CMBN scum sucking noobs, but are all noobs born equal?

This is great news.

I have never player CMSF (well, I tried the demo a little bit) and was wondering if veterans with CMx1 that had never played CMSF will be at a significative disadvantage when playing CMBN against those that have played CMSF.

Is the learning curve really steep? We will all be CMBN scum sucking noobs, but are all noobs equal?

Yes and no :)

I think it might just balance out. Those CMSF veterans might be a bit too cocky thinking that their WWII armour is as invincible as the M1. Whilst CMX1 veterans who know what their WWII vintage stuff can do might make best use of it.

Although if you are playing a WWII and CMSF veteran then your stuffed I reckon. They'll know both the WWII equipment and be used to the game engine :) So yeah, scum sucking noob would be an apt description in this case...

*COUGH* There will also be an in-depth tutorial for you guys to play. Especially useful for you guys that haven't played CMSF before. ;)
I second that! Took me awhile to get the basic AFV/infantry tactics right of CMBN, being an old CMx1 player and using those referenced habits. I hardly touched CMSF, 4 hours total via CMSF demo to be exact.

The Tutorial should be a sine qua non for all old hardcore CMx1 gamers. Trust me :)

Look for mods. :D

I'll probably head over to Scheer's place for a while, then head home and fire up the game, pick a scenario at random, and just stare at all the yummy goodness. ;)

And wait for someone to resurrect the old Clown Car Coloration mod.

C'mon -- you all know you want a hot pink Panther in your midst . . . not to mention a neon blu and yellow Tiger!

Now, if we could only mod the soldiers to make it appear that they are wearing big floppy shoes . . .

Steve

.....complain and whine about why there are no SS or FJ in the game by making inane posts on the forum; after realizing that they aren't supposed to be in the base game, I will then start posting questions about a release date for the SS-FJ Module.

After that is accomplished, although I am a CM:SF veteran, I will check out the Tutorial and see what CM:BN is all about. Then fiddle around with the in-game options and my graphics card settings. All of this will be followed up with some bed-time reading of the Manual.

The following morning, while having a cup or two of Peet's java, I will ........realize that I need to focus on life, and ignore the fact that CM:BN is installed on my computer.

However, that evening I will probably dive into a Scenario, which will be followed up by starting the German Campaign.

Any more questions?

Sequence of events when game is received:

1. Install while twitching and palpatating in anticipation.

2. Double clicking desktop icon (automatic due to twitching and palpatating)

3. Start with tutorial scenario (assuming there is one)

4. Laboriously do everything wrong and get my clock cleaned

5. Start a small unit action scenario

6. Realize I have forgotten the few things I thought I remembered from the turoial

7. Endeavour to retreat and save the few surviving troops under my command

8. Weep at the carnage and write a letter for each casualty

9. Re-write letters omitting all references to inept leadership

10. Try scenario again (see 6-9)

11. Glance at manual cover

12. Think about manual

13. Try different scenario (reference 6-9)

14. Curse myself

15. Curse my parents for not drowning me at birth

16. Pick up manual

17. Go to latrine

18. Read until I have lost all feeling to my legs

Lather, Rinse, Repeat

Sequence of events when game is received:

1. Install while twitching and palpatating in anticipation.

2. Double clicking desktop icon (automatic due to twitching and palpatating)

3. Start with tutorial scenario (assuming there is one)

4. Laboriously do everything wrong and get my clock cleaned

5. Start a small unit action scenario

6. Realize I have forgotten the few things I thought I remembered from the turoial

7. Endeavour to retreat and save the few surviving troops under my command

8. Weep at the carnage and write a letter for each casualty

9. Re-write letters omitting all references to inept leadership

10. Try scenario again (see 6-9)

11. Glance at manual cover

12. Think about manual

13. Try different scenario (reference 6-9)

14. Curse myself

15. Curse my parents for not drowning me at birth

16. Pick up manual

17. Go to latrine

18. Read until I have lost all feeling to my legs

Lather, Rinse, Repeat

Summed it up perfectly; only I had a CMSF manual to read while fiddling with CMBN

Read The Fine Manual?!? Feh. I intend to pick a scenario, sans reading anything, then get my a$$ handed to me... Kinda like CMBO, first scenario... rolling into town with POV right behind a tank commander. Thrashing those pesky allies for the first couple of turns, then the "Oh #$%^" moment when the Hellcats appeared on the ridge, and I got hammered.

Good times, yes good times.