Once CMBN is installed...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, word to the wise. You might want to settle into a comfy chair and READ THE MANUAL! (I almost said 'RTFM' but that would've been impolite. ;) ) I imagine a lot of newbie cussing-and-swearing as people try to get an individual vehicle to appear for purchase in the editor. This title is not going to look like CMx1 and its not going to resemble CMSF either. There are going to be some things you're just going to have to learn.

I'm in my late 40s now and always have to read manuals. Otherwise, I'm like my dad on the phone wondering how I managed to duplicate my home folder in OSX then trash one and put the other in the Applications folder. Still trying to figure out how he did that.

I'll have lotsa more Lab Rats for my Beta fire range test files to give out!

Wait 'til you see the after-penetration results of certain AFV's at 400m, 800m and upward ranges. A delightful surprise and will make you change your tactics compared to CMx1. As a small example, Bil and Warren's instructive AAR should be read again .... very carefully .... to pick up certain life saving clues. ;)

Heh, since my new 'business opp' is a work from home deal, I AM SET!!! I will play a QB first, then maybe start a German campaign. Then I will be amazed!!! I really don't know, but I hope that the shock of being back in WWII with the CMSF engine may be too much for my heart, and I might die right there in my chair. A good death, but I want at least a few turns in before that happens.

I plan to have a good bottle of scotch and some old cheese ready and play until the dawn, most likely with disturbing grin on my face.

But anyways, we first have to survive another night of refreshing monkeys. I Hope you are alle training your f5 skills like I am :)

Well, I hope it's released the weekend of the Royal wedding because I'm not gong to have much else to do, I reckon. First thing I'll do is go straight to the editor and start messing around. I seriously cannot wait to get stuck into that. It might even be a couple of days before I actually play the darn thing.

Well, I hope it's released the weekend of the Royal wedding because I'm not gong to have much else to do, I reckon. First thing I'll do is go straight to the editor and start messing around. I seriously cannot wait to get stuck into that. It might even be a couple of days before I actually play the darn thing.

Yeah that would be sweet. we would be able to escape the mind numbing ass licking from all of the media

Ah, word to the wise. You might want to settle into a comfy chair and READ THE MANUAL! (I almost said 'RTFM' but that would've been impolite. ;) ) I imagine a lot of newbie cussing-and-swearing as people try to get an individual vehicle to appear for purchase in the editor. This title is not going to look like CMx1 and its not going to resemble CMSF either. There are going to be some things you're just going to have to learn.

FT!

:D

Going straight for a scenario.

I love to curl up with a nice thick manual -- especially the one shipping with the boxed preorder game. Those little pamphlets that come in CD jewel cases nowadays are so unsatisfying. CMx1's manual, with the period cartoons and such, gshowed deph and gave me a warm feeling that said "ahh, this game was created by some people who really cared."

DINNER WITH MY WIFE A HUG AND A kISS, GIVE HER NEW kINDLE, THEN TO THE QUIET PLACE READ THE MANUAL. pLAY A FEW SCENARIOS GET THE LAY OF LAND FROM RUNE'S pov. THEN PULL OUT MY 10 YEARS OF COLLECTIVE NOTES, MAPS, AND START BUILDING TOURNAMENT PLAY SCENARIOS, AND MY STANDARD SINGLE PLAYER SCENARIOS. THEN ABOUT MONTH LATER i WILL SHAVE AND MOVE ON MY NEXT pbem MOVE TO THE LIKES OF SCIPIO, AND NIDAN. tHEN mONTH LATER SHAVE, AND REPEAT!

MICHAEL "GONZO" GONZALEZ

*COUGH* There will also be an in-depth tutorial for you guys to play. Especially useful for you guys that haven't played CMSF before. ;)

That's actually something that I wanted to ask about, having never bought CMSF. Is it going to be an actual tutorial, or is it going to be like the "tutorial" mission in the CMSF demo where you're thrown in with a few vehicles and some infantry and told "okay, go get the bad guys"?

I'm really, really hoping that CMBN has an *actual* tutorial that explains the basics of unit movement and control. It's SO different from CMx1 that it's not super intuitive for veterans of that game. It's also so complex that it's not intuitive or inviting for newbies, even those who have played other wargames. I think a *good* tutorial is really, truly necessary if we want to bring new people to this game/hobby. I remember buying CMBO ages ago, playing it a couple times, then throwing it on the shelf out of frustration. It wasn't until I found forums with tutorials and tactic tips that I finally figured out how to play the game and started enjoying myself. I have a few friends that I think would really enjoy the game, but it won't happen if they have to read a 200 page manual or read through dozens of forum threads to figure out how to move a tank or assault a trench.

DINNER WITH MY WIFE A HUG AND A kISS, GIVE HER NEW kINDLE, THEN TO THE QUIET PLACE READ THE MANUAL. pLAY A FEW SCENARIOS GET THE LAY OF LAND FROM RUNE'S pov. THEN PULL OUT MY 10 YEARS OF COLLECTIVE NOTES, MAPS, AND START BUILDING TOURNAMENT PLAY SCENARIOS, AND MY STANDARD SINGLE PLAYER SCENARIOS. THEN ABOUT MONTH LATER i WILL SHAVE AND MOVE ON MY NEXT pbem MOVE TO THE LIKES OF SCIPIO, AND NIDAN. tHEN mONTH LATER SHAVE, AND REPEAT!

MICHAEL "GONZO" GONZALEZ

AND ALL OF THIS WILL BE FUELED BY THE POWER OF RAW UNCUT COCAINE!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, the all-caps was just too much fun to let go. Although it does convey a sense of enthusiasm.

AND ALL OF THIS WILL BE FUELED BY THE POWER OF RAW UNCUT COCAINE!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, the all-caps was just too much fun to let go. Although it does convey a sense of enthusiasm.

Or perhaps the use of a touch too much of the above mentioned product :P As they say, rule #7 of selling crack: Never get high on your own supply!!!

LoL

:D:eek::cool::confused:

That's actually something that I wanted to ask about, having never bought CMSF. Is it going to be an actual tutorial, or is it going to be like the "tutorial" mission in the CMSF demo where you're thrown in with a few vehicles and some infantry and told "okay, go get the bad guys"?

I'm really, really hoping that CMBN has an *actual* tutorial that explains the basics of unit movement and control. It's SO different from CMx1 that it's not super intuitive for veterans of that game. It's also so complex that it's not intuitive or inviting for newbies, even those who have played other wargames. I think a *good* tutorial is really, truly necessary if we want to bring new people to this game/hobby. I remember buying CMBO ages ago, playing it a couple times, then throwing it on the shelf out of frustration. It wasn't until I found forums with tutorials and tactic tips that I finally figured out how to play the game and started enjoying myself. I have a few friends that I think would really enjoy the game, but it won't happen if they have to read a 200 page manual or read through dozens of forum threads to figure out how to move a tank or assault a trench.

I'm not sure how much I can say about it just yet, but I'll assure you that there will be an inclusive tutorial that is geared towards both total newcomers and CM veterans.