A Quick Battle AAR: Shermans vs Pz IVs, Not Your Fathers Combat Mission

Originally Posted by LongLeftFlank

Well the "game" can be played as a game any way you please, sure. But the name of this game is Battle for Normandy.

I just saw a lot of otherwise fascinating and well-designed CMSF scenarios become science fiction (while remainjng fun games) because of very simple (and readily addressable) flaws in map design. Bois de Baugin was a very "real" looking map to me; this one, not so much. More like a Starcraft map, no offense to the maker. And that means the players and units will behave differently than real armoured forces slugging it out in Normandy. Maybe a little, maybe a lot. Terrain matters if you care about history, just as much as the difference between L48 and L70.

I think it's fair to say you are seeing the range available. Bois de Baugin at the more complex end while the QB map Bil and Warren are playing is towards the simple end. - Something for every one.

To put you mind at rest there are maps based off Google Earth in the mix, and they are as accurate as the engine will allow, and all maps go onto the QB pot thanks to the efforts of MarkE

Khane, I don't know why you would be getting a logo instead of the image... is anybody else having this problem? I would check at imageshack's site and see what the issue is.

If you click on this link what do you get? http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/297/023tank432a.jpg

Please PM me and I'll see if I can't help you see these pictures in some way.

Bil

A few questions.

How are hit locations on a vehicle flagged - purely visually and /or by damage? I'm comparing to CMx1 where a hit would be shown, for instance, as 'front upper hull - partial penetration'

In the 'Damage' section what do the colour codes mean - would red, for instance, indicate irreparable damage and is yellow merely weakened?

The fifth crew member is unnamed - can he swap with the named crew in the event of loss/injury?

Lovely looking screenshots, by the way!

Well the "game" can be played as a game any way you please, sure. But the name of this game is Battle for Normandy.

I just saw a lot of otherwise fascinating and well-designed CMSF scenarios become science fiction (while remainjng fun games) because of very simple (and readily addressable) flaws in map design. Bois de Baugin was a very "real" looking map to me; this one, not so much. More like a Starcraft map, no offense to the maker. And that means the players and units will behave differently than real armoured forces slugging it out in Normandy. Maybe a little, maybe a lot. Terrain matters if you care about history, just as much as the difference between L48 and L70.

You are correct sir. This is a combat simulation NOT a game. Anyone attempting to have fun with this "game" will be banished to the Russian front. There you will wallow in the shortcommings of CMBB, while you hang in limbo, waiting the delivery of CMx2 Ostfront. :D

Do tanks still rock as violently with shooting as in CMSF? Because the lower power guns shouldn't be able to rock tanks as much. Especially when it comes to a heavy vehicle such as the Tiger, you barely see these moving in newsreel footage.

To my eye they all seem to rock back very realistically when firing in CMBN.

Frogs in ice cubes and thumbnails are all I see - I am viewing via Safari/MacOSX latest. if this any help.

David

Well, all I can say is thank gosh for Bill Gates: I am using the superior OS: Windows 7 (although unpatriotically I am using Firefox).

However, I just checked the images with Internet Explorer and it works with that too.

Hopefully this will work... I have created a flickr album that contains all of the images I have posted so far. I can't promise that they are in order though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60872699@N08/with/5542510363/

This is not the solution I'm looking for, only a way to get the images posted so far out to everyone who is having trouble seeing them.

A few questions.

How are hit locations on a vehicle flagged - purely visually and /or by damage? I'm comparing to CMx1 where a hit would be shown, for instance, as 'front upper hull - partial penetration'

In the 'Damage' section what do the colour codes mean - would red, for instance, indicate irreparable damage and is yellow merely weakened?

The fifth crew member is unnamed - can he swap with the named crew in the event of loss/injury?

Lovely looking screen shots, by the way!

Hi James.

There is no hit location flag like in the CMx1. Only sound cues. Well, there are visual cues along with the sound cues, of course (tracers hitting, explosions). But yes you pretty much guessed the color code system. It looks a little different in CMBN. In CMSF "Xs" are you used that go from a bright fluorescent green to red indicating the degradation of that particular part of the vehicle. To be exact they start off as a Big Fluorescent green X -> small fluorescent green X -> small yellow X -> small orange X -> small red X -> big red X (FUBAR). :)