Nice and all but....

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, MeatEtr's right. BFC is a company, and needs to make money. So they will naturally go with the most profitable (read: popular) theaters and time frames.

Will it ever get redressed? Who knows! I, for one, would love to see a '39-'40 game, but it probably won't happen for years if it happens at all.

Who knows! I, for one, would love to see a '39-'40 game, but it probably won't happen for years if it happens at all.

Ditto. I think a CM game on the Fall of France would open up some fascinating new possibilities for play, but plunging into that arena would represent a serious gamble on BFC's part. Not that many gamers are deeply aware of that campaign or how interesting it is, so the demand is not built in. It would require an effort on BFC's part to educate the game buying public into its worth, and I can see why they might not want to bother.

I guess what's needed is a blockbuster movie in English on the subject, or better yet a series of them. I don't see that happening any time soon either.

Michael

I guess what's needed is a blockbuster movie in English on the subject, or better yet a series of them. I don't see that happening any time soon either.

Maybe a plucky story about how an American telephone engineer travels to Poland and finds an Enigma in the rubbish skip behind a rowdy cafe with an amusing black piano player and illicit cassino. He singlehandedly builds a compact bombe then flies it out of wartorn Poland over the advancing German tanks, across Germany, just reaching France before his fuel runs out. He then organises an International Brigade (composed mainly of various 'hard case' fellow Americans recently released from military prisons) to resist the invasion of the Low Countries, retreating to a vital part of the Dunkirk perimeter which is defended heroically while a fleet of Long Island yachtsman and whalers rescue the inept British off the beaches. He then leads his International Brigade into the interior of France where they establish the Resistance movement, grimly yet successfully defending a mountain-top fortress against attacking Tiger tanks. After the invasion of Russia he leads the Brigade in an anabasis across Europe to defeat the SS hordes at El Alamein. While exploiting that success and advancing through a blizzard he comes across a crashed C-3 carrying the secret codes and deployment orders of all U-boats. He starts carrying carrying this vital intelligence back to Washington, but stumbles across the German heavy water plant at Gran Sasso, and destroys it by bouncing handgrenades across the surface of the lake. While riding his folboat down on the floodwaters released by the dam collapse he sights the Tirpitz readying to sortie from a fiord in eastern France, destroys it with a well-placed limpet mine, and escapes in a stolen Me-110 which he crashes in the Scottish Highlands.

That's when the love-interest gets introduced to the story, and things start getting really interesting.

Sad fact,I saw a show once,kinda like a 20/20,or frontline type talkshow.They asked a bunch of High school students on a multiple choice test when WWII started.Something like 70 % said Dec. 7th 1941.Guess they didn't count it as a War until we(The Americans) got involved.

That whole 1930's thing with all them bombs and shooting and stuff wasn't really a War until the good old U.S.A. got into the fight.Of course our President thought there were 57 States.I pray for our future.

Sad fact,I saw a show once,kinda like a 20/20,or frontline type talkshow.They asked a bunch of High school students on a multiple choice test when WWII started.Something like 70 % said Dec. 7th 1941.Guess they didn't count it as a War until we(The Americans) got involved.

That whole 1930's thing with all them bombs and shooting and stuff wasn't really a War until the good old U.S.A. got into the fight.Of course our President thought there were 57 States.I pray for our future.

Dang kids these days...

And I'll bet if they asked the same question in the 40's about WWI the results would have been similar, if not worse.

Well, it's an interesting question that has about 30 correct answers depending on exactly how the question is asked. I'm deeply impressed that as many as 70% got a parochially correct answer.

I stopped into a Midas Muffler last week to get a new catalytic converter installed on my car and told the guy behind the desk (Maybe early 30's) that my car sounded like PT-109.

He said, "I don't know what that means."

"PT-109? WW2? PT Boats?"

"Nope."

"John Kennedy?"

"Doesn't help."

"MCHALE'S NAVY???"

"Ohhhhhhh. OK"

It is to weep.

I stopped into a Midas Muffler last week to get a new catalytic converter installed on my car and told the guy behind the desk (Maybe early 30's) that my car sounded like PT-109.

He said, "I don't know what that means."

"PT-109? WW2? PT Boats?"

"Nope."

"John Kennedy?"

"Doesn't help."

"MCHALE'S NAVY???"

"Ohhhhhhh. OK"

It is to weep.

:MCHales Navy was great,but I was more partial to Hogans Heroes as a kid.:D

As an American, I can confirm that Americans generally have a sort of "pics, or it didn't happen" outlook about historical events. I reckon most Americans would recognize the photo of the Marines raising the flag on Mount Suribachi, whereas few Americans would recognize the photo of the Red Army soldier raising the flag atop the Reichstag.

Personally, I'd love to do a 1940s western Europe game. Love to. But it's a huge effort because very, very little of the models and units can be reused from other games until we've got to the end of the Russian Front. And even then it's just a fraction of what we'd need to do 1940. Which means it would cost us a lot of money and time to make and I'm not sure if it's worth us doing it. But a third party doing it? Let's just say the thought has already occurred to us :D

Steve

I still have a faint hope that over time enough bits and pieces accumulate that one thing leads to another.

Early East Front game sees you already with a lot of '41/'42 Wehrmacht and a bit of LL Valentines and Matildas so might lead to a North Africa game. With the North African kit all in place one is halfway to having West Front '40 so...

But will the CMx2 engine last long enough for that to happen?

So, just being a bit of the Devil's advocate, but...

Would a game in '39-'40 even be fun for anyone but the most hardcore enthusiasts? I'll be the first to admit to not being an early war grog, but I don't imagine there were many tactical instances of French, Dutch, Belgian, or Polish units not getting steamrollered by the Germans.

If there are, I'd be fascinated to learn more about them.

Ooooh, seeing the closeup of the Thompson SMG from SPR makes me sooooooo want to post a closeup screenshot of CM:BN's Thompson SMG. I swear ours looks more authentic, you can even read the serial numbers and manufacturers stamp on ours! Damn you, non-disclosure agreement! :(:P

Ooooh, seeing the closeup of the Thompson SMG from SPR makes me sooooooo want to post a closeup screenshot of CM:BN's Thompson SMG. I swear ours looks more authentic, you can even read the serial numbers and manufacturers stamp on ours! Damn you, non-disclosure agreement! :(:P

MikeyD, I hereby give you permission to show us a close up of the Tommy gun. If Steve or any other powers that be question you, just tell them Meat said it was ok. You'll be fine! :eek:

Maybe a plucky story about how an American telephone engineer travels to Poland and finds an Enigma in the rubbish skip behind a rowdy cafe with an amusing black piano player and illicit cassino. He singlehandedly builds a compact bombe then flies it out of wartorn Poland over the advancing German tanks, across Germany, just reaching France before his fuel runs out. He then organises an International Brigade (composed mainly of various 'hard case' fellow Americans recently released from military prisons) to resist the invasion of the Low Countries, retreating to a vital part of the Dunkirk perimeter which is defended heroically while a fleet of Long Island yachtsman and whalers rescue the inept British off the beaches. He then leads his International Brigade into the interior of France where they establish the Resistance movement, grimly yet successfully defending a mountain-top fortress against attacking Tiger tanks. After the invasion of Russia he leads the Brigade in an anabasis across Europe to defeat the SS hordes at El Alamein. While exploiting that success and advancing through a blizzard he comes across a crashed C-3 carrying the secret codes and deployment orders of all U-boats. He starts carrying carrying this vital intelligence back to Washington, but stumbles across the German heavy water plant at Gran Sasso, and destroys it by bouncing handgrenades across the surface of the lake. While riding his folboat down on the floodwaters released by the dam collapse he sights the Tirpitz readying to sortie from a fiord in eastern France, destroys it with a well-placed limpet mine, and escapes in a stolen Me-110 which he crashes in the Scottish Highlands.

That's when the love-interest gets introduced to the story, and things start getting really interesting.

Sounds 'do-able'. I recommend the script writers and crew behind the film U571 be involved in the making of this all time war classic. Don't forget casting David Lee Roth in the lead role!

Regards

KR

...Would a game in '39-'40 even be fun for anyone but the most hardcore enthusiasts? I'll be the first to admit to not being an early war grog, but I don't imagine there were many tactical instances of French, Dutch, Belgian, or Polish units not getting steamrollered by the Germans.

I'll put my neck out for the grogs here, but if I remember correctly it's been said that it's hard to make good early WWII games since in terms of both the equipment and manpower, at least France was more than a match for Germany. The German war machine was highly successful due to superior strategy and tactics, while the French army was mired in inflexible tradition. As I understand it that is something that's hard to model in, at least on the CM scale, so the player on German side would often have a hard time achieving the expected result.

There was a tank battle in the north of France that saw the french 1st Armored not only hold, but decimate a german armored thrust during 1940. In fact, the germans were getting ready to fall back when the french received the same order due to strategic conditions (ie, getting their butts kicked down south) It is in one of the WWII magazines I have, believe it is Chembleux or something like that, will look it up and post it later.