Show Us The New Quick Battle Please

Assuming the new QBs are done or at least in a near final state to show us. Perhaps a video of somebody going through the QB process would be great.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying this single feature is the most I'm looking forward to.

So please, with gunpowder on top, show us! :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they aren’t.

So I guess the rest of the request falls away from there, doesn’t it. :)

Sure enough, I knew the beta-testing PR-wannabe would swing by to ruin it. :P

Seriously though, I could of sworn I saw Steve post several months back that QBs are nearly done. He is afterall, the target of this thread.

Seriously though, I could of sworn I saw Steve post several months back that QBs are nearly done. He is afterall, the target of this thread.

And maybe something has happened to upset that plan.

This is what happens when people start to believe their own self generated hype that its shipping date is “just around the corner”. :)

But if you are waiting for Steve, I’ll ignore this from now on.

And maybe something has happened to upset that plan.

Which is part of the reason I started this thread, how about an update. Steve's original QB thread is about a year old and no longer a sticky.

This is what happens when people start to believe their own self generated hype that its shipping date is “just around the corner”. :)
Lol, ok sure, I based my QB status assumption on whats been said by Steve. Which is all us forum-ites can do as he is our window to the games development. It has nothing to do with others over-eagerness of the games release, other than you implying it.

Oh and for the record, in that "Guess the Release Date" joke and fun thread, I said June. Hardly the "just around the corner" that others think.

But if you are waiting for Steve, I’ll ignore this from now on.
Thank you and good bye! :)

He also said the whole game was nearly done in December of 2009. Don't you understand by now that Steve's concept of "nearly done" is not the same as everyone else's?

He also said the whole game was nearly done in December of 2009. Don't you understand by now that Steve's concept of "nearly done" is not the same as everyone else's?

Yes you can set your watch by it. As long as the watch is in 10,000 pieces, has no band, brings snow to the equator, and was left by aliens. Might be more accurate to consult Snooki from Jersey Shore if you want more accurate timetables. :P

I don't post very often on this forum - but I read a lot (lurker)...more in the past 4 months or so. Hell, my sig comes from a comment Steve made back when Florida voters taught the world that chads could indeed hang.

Anyway...

Is is just me or is the tone around here sometimes a little...negative?

It's kind of like the way a

(0:30) will bicker with their pack mates when they start smelling food. Just don't be here long when the
shows up to take your food (or whatever the hell it wants)...

Actually, I just used this post as an excuse to bring up

and find out if they'll be in the game (0:45 or so ? cool vid to watch all the way, Hetzer at the end!).

I'm kidding...

I'll go back to sitting...<quack>

The M10 tank destroyer, nicknamed "Wolverine", is in the first release. Here's a list and link to the full TO&E in case you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=276&Itemid=460

American Tanks

• M4 105 Sherman Early
  • M4 105 Sherman Early (Rhino)
  • M4 105 Sherman Mid
  • M4 Sherman Late
  • M4 Sherman Late (Rhino)
  • M4 Sherman Mid
  • M4A1 76W Sherman Early
  • M4A1 76W Sherman Mid
  • M4A1 Sherman Late
  • M4A1 Sherman Late Rhino
  • M4A1 Sherman Mid
  • M4A3 Sherman
  • M4A3 Sherman (Rhino)
  • M4A3 105 Sherman Early
  • M4A3 105 Sherman Early (Rhino)
  • M4A3 105 Sherman Mid
  • M4A3 75W Sherman Early
  • M4A3 75W Sherman Early (Rhino)
  • M4A3 75W Sherman Mid
  • M4A3 76W Sherman Early
  • M4A3 76W Sherman Mid
  • M5a1 Stuart Late
  • M5a1 Stuart Late (Rhino)
  • M10 GMC (Rhino)
  • M10 GMC
  • M10 GMC Late

All game features are done, but not all are polished. We don't like showing things that aren't polished because people tend to freak out about stuff that we can, and probably, will change before release.

As for QBs specifically, they're done and the testers are pretty happy with the end result. Still some rough edges to smooth over, but most of the significant ones have been addressed successfully. There's more that will be changed before release, others will likely find their way in later on. Remember, if we held back releases until the game was 100% what all players want, you'd still be waiting for CMBO :)

We're confident that we have a better system than was in CMx1 and KNOW we have a better system than was in CM:SF. We expect some CMx1 guys will complain about this or that part of it, but we think overall they will like it. And as time goes on they'll probably find the things they initially objected to weren't all that big of a deal after all. You know... standard "I don't like it because it's different" reactions are bound to happen.

Steve

That's the thing Dan, if we beat him often, but not to badly, we would be alright. Even if we beat him badly, but not all that often. Alas, we beat him often and with very large lead pipes, I can understand not wanting to come back over to the sand box after something like that.

All game features are done, but not all are polished. We don't like showing things that aren't polished because people tend to freak out about stuff that we can, and probably, will change before release.

As for QBs specifically, they're done and the testers are pretty happy with the end result. Still some rough edges to smooth over, but most of the significant ones have been addressed successfully. There's more that will be changed before release, others will likely find their way in later on. Remember, if we held back releases until the game was 100% what all players want, you'd still be waiting for CMBO :)

We're confident that we have a better system than was in CMx1 and KNOW we have a better system than was in CM:SF. We expect some CMx1 guys will complain about this or that part of it, but we think overall they will like it. And as time goes on they'll probably find the things they initially objected to weren't all that big of a deal after all. You know... standard "I don't like it because it's different" reactions are bound to happen.

Steve

Thanks for the update Steve, it's appreciated. I for one do wish we could see more rough and unpolished stuff. I find it fascinating to see things at different stages of development. But understand why you guys don't show it. Too many people get wrong or bad impressions of the game.

Speaking of which, I was recently reading an interview of the lead development producer of the new IL2 Cliffs of Dover and thought this was interesting and funny.

What was your "best moment" during development?

The entire development process is almost one huge best moment for me. Doing what you love with your friends - what else could you ask for?

Few people realize just how hilarious game development is. No one sees it when the product is released. During development, nothing ever works the first time, and sometimes thing break in such unexpected ways, the entire office gathers in front of a computer and almost literally rolls on the floor laughing.

That's what makes the process fun. Tracers that loop around and hit your own plane. Pilots that grow giant legs and piggyback onto the fuselage. There's something almost every day.

I'm sure you guys have a few stories yourself.

Will the QB generator have the ability to pull from user created maps to add more variety. I haven't been around the CM community for a few years, but one of the things I remember about CM that made it really strong was the random maps that were generated with the QB generator from that series.

Cheers!

Will the QB generator have the ability to pull from user created maps to add more variety. I haven't been around the CM community for a few years, but one of the things I remember about CM that made it really strong was the random maps that were generated with the QB generator from that series.

Cheers!

There is no random map generator in CMx2. I don't think there are any plans to add one either. Only user created maps are used for QBs. I think most liked the random map generator from CMx1 even though sometimes the maps sucked.

While I almost never played QBs in CM:SF I almost exclusively play QBs in CM:N at the moment.

For what it is worth.

Best regards,

Thomm

Why is that Thomm? Please indulge us! :D

I'm sure you guys have a few stories yourself.

I should mention that I have no affiliation with Battlefront, but this made me think of a case from my work.

We were working on simulating bombs falling through air, with air resistance accounted for. A tester entered a terminal speed for a bomb of 1 foot per second (~ 1.5 miles per hour), because that was the minimum value allowed by the software (since a value of 0 would obviously be invalid). Ignore for a moment would what really happen if a bomb released from a jet aircraft in flight actually experienced the deceleration that such a terminal speed would cause. In our simulation, the bomb, upon release from the aircraft (which was diving), decelerated very abruptly, so abruptly in fact that its downward velocity was more than completely negated, and it actually gained upward velocity! After a bit that velocity was sapped by gravity, and the bomb began to fall again. But then it began to rise again. The simulation never reached termination conditions, and by the time I went to examine the results, all of the bomb's initial downrange velocity had been lost to friction with the air, with the result that the bomb was just hanging there in midair, slowly oscillating up and down. I thought that was funny.

Dunno. It's fun, I guess.

Best regards,

Thomm

Thomm, I was just trying to goat you into breaking your NDA to tell us something. But not really, just having a little fun. :D

Will, that is pretty funny, would be great to see video of that. Thanks for sharing.