Cmsf: Normandy - German or just US campaign?

Destraex1

I say, release the game whithout campaigns, or just one very basic short one. Add them later in the patches or charge us a few dollars to download packages of campaigns and scenarios. I think campaigns and scenarios tend to evolve and get better as people learn the game and new patches come along anyway. [Flak-jacket on!]

/H

I absolutely adore campaigns. To me, it is what Combat Mission is all about. Don't get me wrong, I like single scenarios too, but the campaigns have so much more about them. It means so much more to complete one too, (I've completed 6 SF campaigns now). Keeping an eye on your troops and vehicles is even more important. I like the semi dynamic nature of the campaign too.

From Steve in spring of 2009

We will continue the CM:SF model in terms of the campaigns. One campaign per release from the perspective of the attacker. In the case of the Normandy setting, this means Campaigns from the Allied perspective with a single unit at the center. Since end users can make their own Campaigns we have no doubts that German campaigns will come out. Mortain, for example, might make an interesting topic even though the Germans were ground into the dirt.

Steve

It would be a huge mistake not to include a campaign. There are far more people that play offline than poem. The statistics I have read back me up. I'd lose interest personally in a day if it was only a collection of one off games. It would be like playing madden with only exhibition games.

Funny when you read the three posts right after Normal Dude's...three people, three different ways of playing. Just goes to show everybody has their thing, which is cool, 'cause the game caters to all three.

But I agree they could not release Normandy without a campaign, especially seeing they have had campaigns in CMSF, USMC, Brits, Afghanistan and three, coming up in NATO...whether you like, are indifferent, or hate campaigns, they'd be hammered by critics/reviewers for not having them in the release.

Mord

Definitely a huge mistake to not include a Campaign. Most players jump right in and play it. Some don't like them, of course, but there are plenty of CMx1 players who never play QBs, plenty who never play premade scenarios. Few played Operations. I think CMx1 players would have been pretty peeved if CMBB shipped with no premade scenarios, no Operations, and no QBs just because each group said the other wasn't worth catering to.

The information about the single Campaign is old and outdated. We will make two medium sized campaigns; one American and one German. This is similar to the concept of three Campaigns being shipped with NATO.

Steve

I say, release the game whithout campaigns, or just one very basic short one. Add them later in the patches or charge us a few dollars to download packages of campaigns and scenarios. I think campaigns and scenarios tend to evolve and get better as people learn the game and new patches come along anyway. [Flak-jacket on!]

/H

Are you ****ing insane? I mean seriously. Do you really want Battlefront to join the evil banality which is DLC and gaming subscription development? Any studio that releases a game piecemeal at a premium that does not deserve your money.

We will make two medium sized campaigns; one American and one German. This is similar to the concept of three Campaigns being shipped with NATO.

Steve

That is fab news, and more than I expected. A German campaign will be excellent. I don't know about anyone else, but I always found myself veering to the German side in QB's and scenarios because I loved their heavy cats. More fun to play if you know what I mean (rather than the countless Sherman M4's lining up ready to be hit by Panzerfaust and 75mm) :D Having said that, I really want to be able to use naval artillery again! Also looking forward to using VT but I'm guessing that will appear in the later modules. Best of both worlds either way, and offering two campaigns will appeal to the masses.

/H

Dont mind this so much BF for the most part have been worth the money. As long as CM:N has the ability to edit , build user scenarios then i will be happy. Got years out of CM:AK editing and building missions ... downloading as many as i could get my hands on too.

The information about the single Campaign is old and outdated. We will make two medium sized campaigns; one American and one German. This is similar to the concept of three Campaigns being shipped with NATO.

Will the campaigns focus on a particular (aka, core) unit like in CMSF?

I'm sure that releasing the game without any content would be great for the people who exclusively play PBEM and QBs, but it would be terrible for the rest of us. I can't even imagine how bad the reviews would be as well.

As much as I hate waiting, I'd hate it even more if the game got bad reviews because campaigns got left out. This game needs to be as finished and polished as it can be to pull in as many gamers as possible.