Things you are most looking forward to with regards CM:N

I wouldn't say the US forces are overmodelled, in RL they do blow everything up, so it seems realistic to me. What does seem far fetched but might be allowed to for play balance is the uber accurate long distance RPGs the syrians have. This is the main reason a true blackhawk down senario can never be done with CMSF.

Another reason RPGs can seem inordinately effective against vehicles (especially soft-skinned or light-armored ones) is the ratio of HEAT projectiles versus HE projectiles. In CM:SF, RPGs -- whether carried by regular soldiers or irregular fighters -- come with several HEAT projectiles but just one or two HE ones. In real-life engagements, RPG volleys don't result in several knocked-out vehicles (whether HMMWVs or Bradleys) because many, if not most of those are HEAT projectiles, and there are often one or two duds among them. To put it in perspective, when I played "A Gap In The Screen" a couple weeks ago, a M707 HMMWV of mine took a direct hit (or at least it looked direct) hit on its right rear quarter from a T-72 at less than 500 meters' range and suffered only superficial damage.

But back on topic...

It's cool to watch an M1A2 SEP score a 2000-meter first-round knock-out hit on a T-72M1V TURMS-T which then goes up in a huge explosion. But to me it's almost more interesting when a vehicle takes a hit and is merely damaged. That's when one gets to see the dynamic-ness and relative verisimilitude of the CMx2 engine.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say the US forces are overmodelled, in RL they do blow everything up, so it seems realistic to me. What does seem far fetched but might be allowed to for play balance is the uber accurate long distance RPGs the syrians have. This is the main reason a true blackhawk down senario can never be done with CMSF.

If your getting owned as a syrian player, you might be using them wrong. Syrians have plenty of ways to do damage.

As a side note for the Blackhawk Down Reference: As I recall, The RPGs used by Aidid's forces had modified warheads so that they would airburst. Which is why they managed to hit hte Blackhawks at all. :)

I think that the game assumes all RPGs as fresh out the box with equally high quality warheads, and not differentiating between the Syrian Army squad level RPGs and those used by the insurgent/militia RPGs. I could be wrong though.

If your getting owned as a syrian player, you might be using them wrong. Syrians have plenty of ways to do damage.

Someone actually tested the accuracy of RPGs in the game and they seem to correspond to actual noted experience. I guess it depends if you're on the receiving side or not :).

If you give a bunch of green/irregulars a bunch of crappy RPG-7s like the reality in Iraq, you will get a satisfying volley of totally inaccurate rockets flying by, with the occasional lucky hit.

I think the game does ok. Trained regular grenadiers will get hits just like AT4/SMAW on the US side, especially with the RPG-29 which is a very different beast to a rusty RPG-7.

As a side note for the Blackhawk Down Reference: As I recall, The RPGs used by Aidid's forces had modified warheads so that they would airburst. Which is why they managed to hit hte Blackhawks at all. :)

RPG rounds self-destruct at 900m, which is commonly exploited in attacking helicopters or delivering "poor man's artillery." No need for modification, but maybe they did something to cause the self-destruct at shorter range.

RPG airburst can be seen here @0:58

The One thing im mostly looking forward is the Symetric Warfare and not the Overmodelled UBER US Forces F***** everthing :-D

Assuming that you are referencing the SF experience I will reply as follows:

"Umm...and you haven't been paying attention to any hot wars over the past 20 years?"

US forces do tend to dominate a modern battlefield. That is a fact.

Now, things were a lot more complicated in WWII.

You know what might be nice from a nostalgia perspective? The same tutorial that kicked off CMBO – recreated w/ the CMx2 engine.

I remember being told that CMBO was the long awaited (but never realized) re-incarnation of ASL on the PC. “We’ll see”, said I.

And then I fired up the that tutorial – and was hooked after turn #2 when my “hull down” Sherman took out a Mk IVG that then exploded after trading about 3 rounds between them. “Wooaa, now that’s what I call entertainment!”, said I as I reran that tank duel over and over again about 10 times.

Good times man, good times.

Yeah I wonder if AndrewTF will make an appearance and produce some luverly new textures.

So you think the textures already shown to you are crap? Well, it'd save us a lot of time and troubler if we'd just gave you colored polygons if you expect everything to be modded anyway... :D

triggers for the AI script. You know..."if the enemy reach that zone,group 3 counterattacks using this route" or "if friendly units of Group 1 cannot take that objective in 30 minutes,another route of attack is activated for Group 2 in order to help Group 1" etc.

edit:and,of course,rain !