CMSF Walkthrough

tyrspawn

So I recently patched up to 1.20, causing my progress in the campaign to lost. So in order to make something productive out of replaying the levels I already did, I decided I am going to record myself playing with some walkthrough commentary. I started on the 3rd level or so, I plan on going back once i'm done to finish recording the first few levels. This is only my 2nd time playing each level, and I didn't finish the campaign the first time around.

Will be updated regularly.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is sooo cool! I don't recall seeing videos quite that long before. Impressive. :D

When you're not actally involved playing the game you can sit back and remind yourself this really is a pretty cool game.

Its funny watching someone else play that scenario, your fighting technique is more aggressive (less cowardly) than mine. :D

That is sooo cool! I don't recall seeing videos quite that long before. Impressive. :D

When you're not actally involved playing the game you can sit back and remind yourself this really is a pretty cool game.

Its funny watching someone else play that scenario, your fighting technique is more aggressive (less cowardly) than mine. :D

What scenario? ^_^

Nice to see how other people play the game. I was surprised how "uncautiosly" you moved your Bradleys and Strykers in the beginning of the first video (have watched only this yet). But you said you've played them before so that's the explanation maybe.

Do you have installed any sound mods?

I've only got a chance to view your Dar As Sud video so far (I should've been in bed an hour ago). In that scenario I invariably swing far left and VERY slowly proceed up the city street. Its not a very effective tactic. I tend to struggle in battles that other players claim major victories and no casualties on. If I were a general I would unfortunately be Montgomery... or McClellan :)

I plan to watch your other walkthroughs... tomorrow.

I like the aggressive movement through open areas. But I bet you wouldn't do that with Woodrum's nuclear IEDs in the AO...

Anywhoo, you do a good job of describing your intent and how you accomplish it. And you certtainly have a good grasp of when to push and when to hold. It took me some time before I got the hang of it in CMSF.

I like the aggressive movement through open areas. But I bet you wouldn't do that with Woodrum's nuclear IEDs in the AO...

Anywhoo, you do a good job of describing your intent and how you accomplish it. And you certtainly have a good grasp of when to push and when to hold. It took me some time before I got the hang of it in CMSF.

Which 1CD member are you? I saw that youtube comment. My money is on Mayes.

Nice to see how other people play the game. I was surprised how "uncautiosly" you moved your Bradleys and Strykers in the beginning of the first video (have watched only this yet). But you said you've played them before so that's the explanation maybe.

Do you have installed any sound mods?

You mean toward the buildings in the beginning? I don't really fear RPGs at ranges greater than 300 meters. And btw... the AI moves differently every time, so playing it before doesn't really make a difference, besides where the static tanks are.

The first time i played it there was like 3 platoons of irregulars in the buildings in front of the town.

Mods I use:

AKD Sound Mod

Background Sounds Remixed (the radio chatter - I made this one)

more emotional voices

Very nicely done :)

Spoilers

#

#

#

#

#

#

Interesting to see how you play the Screen Part 1 and 2. I must admit I made these two. What I find interesting is how you play Part 1. When we playtested this everyone moved up very slowly, took up overwatch etc far short of PL Charlie. There were no problems with the Syrian armoured force spawning on top of you. It was not till the game was released that there were complaints about the enmy spawning on top of the US force. That's when it dawned on me players werre horsing up to PL Charlie... Bit of a learning point for me with designing CMSF scenarios. Now I actually charge everything up to the end of the map just to see if it can be done when testing them during the design stage :) Both these scenarios I must confess are very early ones, looking at em now I hope my design skills have come on a bit!

The other issue I think is that we were constrained by map size at the time due to issues with PC specs etc. Now that people seem to have more powerful PCs and that Charles tweaked the game code with large maps, if I were doing these two again the maps would be about four to six times as big!

Your summation about what the Screen Part 1 is based on is correct - I took the idea from the Gulf War and the Marines in combat against Saddam's armoured units, The Screen Part 2 is taken from a tactical problem given in the armoured magazine. Looks like you dealt with Part 2 in text book style. Yup you don't have enough dismounts which is why you have to do your best to support em with your AFVs, which you appear to do very well.

Look forward to seeing more of these - they are great fun to watch.

Cheers fur noo

George

Good job man, just watched first 10 mins of Dar Sud video. Is it just me, but I keep wanting and trying to move the camera around as if I''m playing. Hehe! :D

Btw, 3 mods I consider must haves...

Pinetrees Icon Bases: http://cmsfmods.heroku.com/mods/4115/details

Scipios Unit Interface: http://cmsfmods.heroku.com/mods/4104/details

Scipios Weapon Interface: http://cmsfmods.heroku.com/mods/4112/details

The neon green weap icons just look way out of place for CMSF.

Good job man, just watched first 10 mins of Dar Sud video. Is it just me, but I keep wanting and trying to move the camera around as if I''m playing. Hehe! :D

Btw, 3 mods I consider must haves...

Pinetrees Icon Bases: http://cmsfmods.heroku.com/mods/4115/details

Scipios Unit Interface: http://cmsfmods.heroku.com/mods/4104/details

Scipios Weapon Interface: http://cmsfmods.heroku.com/mods/4112/details

The neon green weap icons just look way out of place for CMSF.

I appreciate the suggestions. To be honest I am pretty happy with the vanilla graphics and I did see most of those mods on the repo.

Does anyone know the strange post edit rules on this forum? I want to edit my first post to add vids and the edit button has vanished.

George: The first time I played I camped PL Charlie because it said in the briefing to "stand firm" at PL charlie and await further orders. About 7 tanks spawned 300 meters away from me and wiped out all my strykers. I was able to destroy a good deal of the attacking force with apaches - but I still got a defeat for some reason, I guess due to the negative points from all the strykers and most of my personnel dieing. Needless to say, I **** my pants when all those tanks spawned on top of me, it was something I was not expecting in the slightest. I did basically the same thing this time, I just made sure I had some protection from what little shrubbery I could find and also the defiles and valleys.

tyrspawn,

Well done! My stomach is grumbling because I started watching "a few minutes" worth of the first vid, which was more than a few minutes ago ;)

Forum posts can be edited for only so long. I forget how long, but I recently upped it. For normal postings it makes a lot of sense, but it's definitely a drag when someone is trying to create a running update thread.

Good job man, just watched first 10 mins of Dar Sud video. Is it just me, but I keep wanting and trying to move the camera around as if I''m playing. Hehe!

No MeatEtr, it's not just you! Eventually I just took my hands and put them down at my sides so I would stop twitching the mouse.

Steve

No MeatEtr, it's not just you! Eventually I just took my hands and put them down at my sides so I would stop twitching the mouse.

Steve

LOL, me too! I kept trying to move the mouse to the edges with no effect!

Interesting play style. I tend to be a bit more cautious and use some different tactics, but I still can appreciate yours as well. Very well done!

Very good videos indeed, good job! I'm gonna use these as a bate to lure couple of my old CMx1 pbem buddies to pick up CM:SF.

About your tactics; very straight forvard. Did you play against AI? If yes, how about making a new video when playing against human? Video AAR / DAR. How cool would that be? Very IMHO. :cool:

Is that your usual gameplay distance or were you keeping elevated for the sake of the viewer? I'm usually hugging the ground so closely as I play that I can see the eyeball color of the individual soldiers! Some appear to play the game as an 'animated chessboard', others try for cimenatic viewing, like a live-action movie.

I appreciate the suggestions. To be honest I am pretty happy with the vanilla graphics and I did see most of those mods on the repo.

I felt the same way but one day thought "Ah what the hell, I'll try em anyway!" and never went back. Besides, if you don't like them you can just easily delete them out.

Is that your usual gameplay distance or were you keeping elevated for the sake of the viewer? I'm usually hugging the ground so closely as I play that I can see the eyeball color of the individual soldiers! Some appear to play the game as an 'animated chessboard', others try for cimenatic viewing, like a live-action movie.

Speaking of which, hasn't anybody made a high drama, intense, action pack video yet? Maybe not just from a single battle but several clips from various battles strung together of dramatic camera angles.

It's the way my strategic brain works, I need to be able to see all the elements and their relation to OPFOR elements. That is how I play normally... the video is me playing the mission (the commentary I add after), I wasn't even aware that there is a save replay function?

The only time I really zoom in is when I need to target individual soldiers or make sure I am hitting a vehicle and not doing an area fire.

The only time I really zoom in is when I need to target individual soldiers or make sure I am hitting a vehicle and not doing an area fire.

Saw all your videos. Great work! Just thought that you maybe are unaware of the ability to target the icons directly. You don't have to target the enemy unit itself.

waiting for new vids. ;)

Leon