What Mods do you use to improve your CMSF experience?

- The Syrian faces mod and the Syrian spy pack are awsome - its makes them look less like robots and more like real people.

-The rag tagging mods look pretty good too but I don't use all of them because too much rag tagging makes the armies look pretty unprofessional.

-the smoke effects mod is great, it looks much more realistic

- I also use mords portraits and Scipios sillhouettes mods for a bit of flavour.

sorry to all the other authers, I can't remember who did all the mods I use.

Oh yeah, the African mods are good (I did one of them :D) but unfortunately there arn't a lot of African battles out there. I tried to make one myself but it has stalled unfortunately - hopefully I can make another soon.

*Pinetree's unit bases. Very satisfied with them.

*I've got a sound mod of some sort, with which I've chosen to replace most of the stock small arms fire. BFC tends to model them a touch feeble sounding for my taste.

*The weapons icon mods, from scipios hand, to replace the green icons.

I'm using a number of other mods, some quite excellent, but the above three are those that make a big difference for me, where the stock may be less satisfactory.

As for the how:

Place the mods in a folder named Z inside the DATA folder. Make it if it isn't there yet. You can use the mods .brz format or an unpacked vrsion. These should override stock textures/sounds. AS ever, follow instructions provided with the mod if there are any.

If you are a bit picky you can use the BRZ unpacker to extract BRZ files so you can pick and chose from the files included within. Just place the unpacked files you like in the Z folder and discard the rest. Should work fine.

consequent CMSF-modding (virtual figurine/diorama painting):

1. Get z-Bee's mod manager

2. Make a folder called 'Basis Essentials' (or how you want to call it) -> all good general stuff goes in here (the one you want to see always, regardless of setting -> Smoke, Explosions, general weapon/vehicle sounds, general UI-mods, tracers, tactical icons etc. -> make shure this folder is be loaded as standard every time you lunch the game.

3. Make additional folders for different 'general settings': -> I have: 'African Theaters', 'Desert Setting', 'Woodland Setting'

4. Make additional folder for scenario specific settings, which will loaded in case above (after) the general settings: I have: 'Wassersumpf ('water-swamp'), UNO setting.

5. Load as needed

6. Make it a habit to download all new mods, check it out, keep the good, primp the bad, improve the usefull.

Welcome to the club.

CMSF isn't like CMx1 where mods can take you from "Eeew, gross" to "Ooooh, lovely!" Perhaps with the exception of Marco Bergman's much-appreciated UAZ light truck mod and the High-Rez Stryker wheel preplacement by 'VladTemplar'. :D

Two things of my own that might be considered essential, just for using the editor, would be my own Highway Construction Tutorial and my Flavor Objects at a Glance PDF files. The highway tiles in the game are like a jugsaw puzzle where all the pieces are square and the same color. That tutorial does help. :D

Here are my essentials:

*RED TRACERS. I like them better than the standard. Wish there was a mod to make Syrians tracers a different color.

*SCIPIOS WEAPONS ICONS. Changes the outline green weapons to realistic illustrations. Also SCIPIO SILHOUETTES which changes the vehicle silhouettes to realistic illustrations.

*DULL ICONS. Tones down the color of the icons a bit.

*EUROPEAN TERRAIN. For those who prefer green terrain. It is easier on the eyes for me. I added a GRID to it which makes it easier to see the elevations and depressions in the landscape.

*BASE ICONS. Very good mod that adds functionality and better visuals to the bases. It comes in two flavors bright and faded. I use the faded most of the time.

*THERE GOES THE SUN. Gets rid of the blinding lens flare from the sun.

All of these are great mods that have made the game more enjoyable for me, so thank you mod makers!

Vinnart is on the money. I use all of those (european terrain in certain cases).

One of the BEST ways to really change the atmosphere of the game is using sound mods. I recommend AKD's sound mod. I use his, but I have customized and mixed and matched many of the sounds. But it's probably the best place to start.

And go ahead and check out my z-Bee mod manager 1.2. I'm almost finished with 1.3, but you can use 1.2 in the mean time and you'll be able to import your stuff into 1.3 once it is done. Not to toot my own horn, but the mod manager really does help me sort out all of the mods.

My essential mods are:

• Scipio's weapon and vehicle silhouettes
  • Scipio's explosions, fire and gun muzzle effects
  • proEffects smoke and tracers
  • AKD's Sound mod
  • Iconed bases (I did make it for me, after all :D). I use the bright version for daylight and the faded version for night battles.
  • Half-height horizons. makes the desert seem more open.

I've been using z-bee to manage them all.Excellent tool.(You'll like 1.3 when it comes out).

My essential mods are:
  • Scipio's weapon and vehicle silhouettes
  • Scipio's explosions, fire and gun muzzle effects
  • proEffects smoke and tracers
  • AKD's Sound mod
  • Iconed bases (I did make it for me, after all :D). I use the bright version for daylight and the faded version for night battles.
  • Half-height horizons. makes the desert seem more open.

I've been using z-bee to manage them all.Excellent tool.(You'll like 1.3 when it comes out).

This is the exact list I was gonna post. Also if your tired of the desert look, then give Syropes terrain a try, I love it.

I do use:

- El_Terrifico's 'Syrope' combined with Birdstrike's 'Summertime Grass'

- Scipio's explosions, fire and gun muzzle effects

- proEffect's smoke and tracers

- Gordon Molek's 'camo Russina Vehicles'

- my own 'T-72 3-color Camouflage' *cough* *cough*

- Gordon Molek's/Marco Bergman's NATO camouflage vehicles

- NormalDude's 'Woodland Uniforms and Vests' + MARPAT camouflage for Marines

And, of course, some small odds and ends where I have modified the game to my liking...

CMSF isn't like CMx1 where mods can take you from "Eeew, gross" to "Ooooh, lovely!" Perhaps with the exception of Mhttp://www.battlefront.com/community/images/icons/icon7.gifarco Bergman's much-appreciated UAZ light truck mod and the High-Rez Stryker wheel preplacement by 'VladTemplar'. :D

Two things of my own that might be considered essential, just for using the editor, would be my own Highway Construction Tutorial and my Flavor Objects at a Glance PDF files. The highway tiles in the game are like a jugsaw puzzle where all the pieces are square and the same color. That tutorial does help. :D

Just so Mikey doesn't sound like a glory hound, I will second both the highway tutorial and flavor objects at a glance. Invaluable to scenario designers. Also the fire and smoke mods out there are excellent. All of the above mods I also use. I at one time had every mod, but had some loading issues(European mods). Now I have it just to essentials. ZeeBee is essential as well. I would love to see BF include a mod selection tool to allow you to select mods. The problem is to organize mods takes some time and without zeebee it becomes frustrating.