An idea for weather

ok so i have an idea here. what about having the ability to have the weather change during a battle. currently CMSF allows for battles to last for two hours. this is a long time and weather has been known to change in shorter time than that. how about give the scenario designer the ability to have the weather change during the time frame of the battle. for example: at the start of the scenario there is thick haze (or in CM:Normandy Fog) but after 30 minutes the haze decreases to light haze and then finally none at all. same thing with rain and snow, having it start or stop during the course of a battle. i could see this definitely happening during Buldge battles.

just an idea, what do you guys think.

steve-o

Until CM is set in New England, I don't think we have to worry about the weather changing that quickly. I'll be happy with weather being modeled at all.

I commanded the Base Weather station at Riyadh during the First Gulf War. This is a subject I know a bit about.

Even with my 25+ years experience as a meteorologist, I was quite surprised at how much the weather changed, and how much precipitation there was.

Storms would roll in from the southwest at speeds of 30 mph or more, unusual for that latitude. With the proper upper air pattern, you could easily see a rapid change in the weather, enough to warrant the ability to model it.

Even with dry weather, a rapidly moving cool front could kick up a Shamal, a dust storm that would take visibility from unlimited to just a few feet in a couple of minutes.

I can deal with no weather effects in Shock Force (just as well, really!) but weather is something that can definitely add an extra 'je ne sais quoi' to the game - as it did to tremendous effect in CMx1.

So I sure hope we'll see it in battles for CM WW2, and SF Europe, and if it could change during the course of a battle, that'd be an extra plus.

Here in the UK, in April, you can have all four seasons within an hour, repeating throughout the day, so rapid changes under some circumstances are far from unusual.

Based on nothing at all, I'd bet once BFC introduces 'showers' into the game engine they'll move across the landscape the way cloud shadows do currently, raising and lowering LOS values as they pass. That just seems to be the way they think. 'Rain' on the other hand would be omnipresent.

Of course I also predicted working wristwatches on all troops too ;)

I didn't assume this thread was about CM:N.

I assumed it was because I didn't think BFC was planning to add weather to CMSF. I thought we were discussing features of the upcoming CM:N, which will have weather.

But heck, I don't really want to fight in a sand storm. Do real troops fight in a sand storm, or do they wait until it passes?

I assumed it was because I didn't think BFC was planning to add weather to CMSF. I thought we were discussing features of the upcoming CM:N, which will have weather.

OP could've been taken either way. I hold out hope for more major enhancements to CMSF because (unlike 95% of the forum) I prefer the modern setting. So in that regard I'm biased.

But heck, I don't really want to fight in a sand storm. Do real troops fight in a sand storm, or do they wait until it passes?

We try not to, but stuff happens.

Picture taken during the second Thunder Run, 3-15 IN's mortar section.

post-81-141867621087_thumb.jpg

I didn't assume this thread was about CM:N.

well it kind of was about the next possible chance to put a change into the system. in my thinking it would be CM:N, but if it could be done for CMSF that would be awesome. and apparently i fall into the 5% there that like modern setting :-D. but i still like WW2....well i guess i like all of it!

steve-o

Remember, anything developed for CMx2 is available for anything made going forward. We've already announced CM:SF 2 will be released with a temperate environment. Therefore, in a round about sort of way, talking about what might go into CM:Normandy also means what might go into CM:SF 2. Obviously we're never going to remove an applicable feature once we've coded, tested, and tweaked it :D

It could be that CM:Normandy doesn't get variable weather within a scenario, but that CM:SF 2 (and the second WW2 Family) will. As I keep saying over and over again... the primary benefit of CMx2's code is that we can evolve it over time instead of periodically stopping everything and redoing the code from scratch.

Steve

Remember, anything developed for CMx2 is available for anything made going forward. We've already announced CM:SF 2 will be released with a temperate environment. Therefore, in a round about sort of way, talking about what might go into CM:Normandy also means what might go into CM:SF 2. SNIP

FULDA GAP 2015 ?

Heh, I think the following statement will ring true with anybody anywhere in the world. Just fill in the blank with where you grew up or have lived the longest:

Until CM is set in _____________, I don't think we have to worry about the weather changing that quickly.

Heh, I think the following statement will ring true with anybody anywhere in the world. Just fill in the blank with where you grew up or have lived the longest:

Until CM is set in _____________, I don't think we have to worry about the weather changing that quickly.

Except California. It's always sunny all day, or rainy all day.

My experience living in northern California since 1990 is that I have seen the weather growing more erratic from year to year. It used to be that one could pretty much count on rain most of the day most every day throughout winter, such that creeks and rivers would flood almost every year. Nowadays, "winter" might be characterized by sunny, cloudless, 70+-degree weeks rather than simply days, with virtually no rain until early spring.