Claymore mine question for veterans or active duty types

In Del Vecchio's Vietnam bestseller THE 13TH VALLEY, there is a character who, in order to get out of the field and sent to the rear while in mid-op, supposedly removes the C4 from his claymore mine and eats it. I thought a claymore mine was a sealed unit, with a substantial plastic housing around the bursting charge and fragmentation assembly. If so, I'd think he'd have to basically tear the mine apart. Or am I wrong, and it's really modular, with the C4 added by the user? Have seen no indication of this in my references, which include a JANE'S MINES AND MINE CLEARANCE. That said, I wasn't in the Vietnam War, and I certainly got no Bronze Star, whereas Del Vecchio was and did. Would someone who knows please clear up my Claymore confusion? Thanks!

Regards,

John Kettler

yes, you can take a knife or a screwdriver, pry open the mine's cover and remove the C4. It's basically a plastic cover and inside are the BBs as one solid unit (the shrapnel) backed by a flat playdough-like pad of C4.

You're not supposed to do this, as the mine comes totally assembled and ready to go, but it is possible to do fairly easily.

Los

In Del Vecchio's Vietnam bestseller THE 13TH VALLEY, there is a character who, in order to get out of the field and sent to the rear while in mid-op, supposedly removes the C4 from his claymore mine and eats it. I thought a claymore mine was a sealed unit, with a substantial plastic housing around the bursting charge and fragmentation assembly. If so, I'd think he'd have to basically tear the mine apart. Or am I wrong, and it's really modular, with the C4 added by the user? Have seen no indication of this in my references, which include a JANE'S MINES AND MINE CLEARANCE. That said, I wasn't in the Vietnam War, and I certainly got no Bronze Star, whereas Del Vecchio was and did. Would someone who knows please clear up my Claymore confusion? Thanks!

Regards,

John Kettler

Why would somebody wants to eat C4? :confused:

During the Vietnam era, one of my father's army acquaintances (he was a draftee, my dad was a lifer) got out of the service on a Section 8 by pretending to defecate in the barracks (or perhaps actually doing so) and then stuffing into his mouth a candy bar he'd hidden in his clothes, drooling chocolate everywhere and all the while saying, "its not what it is, its where it came from..." Gross but true.

Never mind.....

I'll explain it for you. The guy on the right is really overweight. So the joke is that he's not strong, he's fat. And he's wearing an Army t-shirt. But the guy in the right foreground is a Marine and he's not fat. So the implied criticism is that the Army guys are fat and useless but the Marines aren't.

Do you get it now?

Don't know about C4, but I believe that's what Semtex (Czech rough equivalent, commonly used by terrorists) smells like.

[snips]

One of the reasons Semtex was always such a favourite with terrorists was that it had no smell, making it hard to detect.

The manufacturers now add a smellifying compound to make it detectable to sniffer dogs. I don't know what the shelf-life of Semtex is, but I imagine there must be plenty of the old non-smelly stuff left if you know where to look.

All the best,

John.

I knew a guy who purposely ate his way out of the Navy. It took some time, but he finally got fat enough that they discharged him.

That must have taken quite a while. Our translators when I deployed to Gitmo in '95 were all Navy and about half of them were HUGE. They would have been chaptered out of the Army long ago.

C4 STINKS of almonds

while i was in the army we were always using up our old war stocks, often the C4 had softened the plastic cover on the claymore

we used to have these "quick deploy" packs that you would wear with the mine in it around your neck.......massive headache after awhile