23 mins of gameplay footage on Youtube

Tankbuster

Not sure if this one has been posted up here before, but I saw this link on another forum to footage taken at the Games Convention. It shows Polish v German, British v German and French v German gameplay. The viewer asks the developers questions about the gameplay throughout the second half of the footage. The constant in-game zooming may make you feel a bit nauseous :DYoutube link

Tankbuster,

Many thanks, and yes, it did!

BFC,

First of all, the game looks gorgeous and, from what I can tell, plays smoothly. Love all the animations, such as bringing the 6-pdr. in and out of action. Unless this is an earlier build, the He-111 as CAS problem remains, which is a real pity considering this was the heyday of the Hs-126 and the iconic Stuka in a screaming dive. The bass effects are way over the top for the weapons being used. High velocity guns should be much higher pitched and crack when fired. In all the combat and weapon test footage I've seen, there has been no deep bass associated with shell or bomb detonation either. I can, though, understand a certain amount of battle background rumble if it's supposed to represent the sounds of the larger fight going on. This is because the higher frequencies don't carry well, whereas all the explosions and such could well set the air moving and emitting at low frequencies. I don't know whether that weird checkerboard grass in the early part of the British mission was a glitch or simply reflected a temporarily overtaxed graphic function, but it was definitely hard to ignore. I think it's great that things can be hit in specific places, as in the Polish AC which lost a wheel, but I hope that the smaller target size is properly reflected in the hit probability calculations. Also, field trials have found that unless the ground is very flat, it is easy for even small relief at ranges of more than a few hundred meters to hide the running gear and track work, making them no panacea targets. If I heard the dev correctly regarding recrewing a Churchill whose crew was all killed, I think there may be a big problem, in that any weapon which wiped out the entire crew would doubtless have done a great deal of damage to the tank proper, probably rendering it unfightable. Even if it were, seems to me it should be a mandatory morale check to enter a charnel house!

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

I don't know whether that weird checkerboard grass in the early part of the British mission was a glitch or simply reflected a temporarily overtaxed graphic function

I'm not certain, but my guess about the checkerboard pattern was that this is the initial setup area and that it disappears once the game starts...At least I hope it was something like that.

Wow! Even if what was on-screen was all we got it'd still be worth the money! Sure, it might not be the 'ultimate' game for everybody, but it sure looks like it would pass the time pleasantly while we waited for that 'ultimate' game to appear. Us old CM players might get a little jittery adjusting to realtime speeds but at least we've got an advantage in understanding tactics... maybe.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Wow! Even if what was on-screen was all we got it'd still be worth the money! Sure, it might not be the 'ultimate' game for everybody, but it sure looks like it would pass the time pleasantly while we waited for that 'ultimate' game to appear. Us old CM players might get a little jittery adjusting to realtime speeds but at least we've got an advantage in understanding tactics... maybe.

Not to mention that we may not get another game dealing with the OstFront for quite a while. :( (And Grigsby has indefinitely delayed his East Front project too...)

• 2 months later...

Just a note about the sound. Taking the sound into even a decent camcorder via the on-camera mic ain't exactly studio quality - and that's not taking into account whatever the demo guys have their sound settings at (over-driving the bass, etc.) Tho that "crack!" seems to be absent...

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Mikey, you don't need to adjust too much with the timing, just pause and give orders, thats what I do!

good point, can you imagine re-crewing a tank that has had the crew all killed. Not only would the tank be badly damaged, but imagine the inside of the vehicle lined with human entrails and a coating of fried skin and blood everywhere. Not somewhere I would want to have to re-crew.

Originally posted by Sivodsi:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />As far as realism is concerned, what makes you think some ground-pounders would have the know-how to operate an abandoned foreign tank?

Wouldn't they just download the instructions onto their PDAs? </font>