WW2 title. What to expect.

Originally posted by average:

Poor dale, he doesn't like descriptive words. They got him into trouble in high school english, and maybe with the police.

Cherry picking - picking - all sort of a related concept. You can pick in CMSF - just you get a formation with a certain range of tools. You just want to be able to play with the purchase screen.

If you really want to do something, like pick very specific units, you can do that in the Editor. If you want a Plt of M1A1HC's supporting a Styker Plt with some M240 armed M1114s you can do that in the editor. You should try it sometimes dude.

Don't have the game, dude. And the demo doesn't have any unit functionality, only map stuff.

Let me translate, you'd pick an armoured bn or armoured RCT (more likely), then lets assume its ww2, you'd pick the light tank or scout company, then you'd set the equipment to excellent and you'd get M24's. Now assuming you want the infantry, you delete away the RCT infantry elements till you get a Plt. Want extra Bazookas, you could leave in part of weapon plts allocation for instance.

That's retarded. And it's not picking your own forces, it's simply restricting the AI's options for what it picks for you. If I did what you said I'm as likely to get Stuarts for a few months as Chaffees.

You want the German esertz battle group, you do the same. Then you set an AI plan for the Germans, they attack the road block, or maybe flank it. Not like CMx1 where they do what they think is best relative to the flag.

Yeah, sounds really "quick". smile.gif I love setting plan details for my opponent - makes it a real thrill ride. Might as well set up both sides of an ASL game and just spin the board around when I do each turn.

Then you set some parameters for what you think a win is for both sides. Off you go.

If you can't be asked making a map, steal someone elses and modify it.

Again, sounds really quick, don't it? ;)

Not real hard.

Now N00b skool is ova 4 2day.

Wow. You are so cool.

You make me laugh, sir. The current functionality of the QB parameters of this game are far behind what even Squad Leader could provide 30 years ago, and I get poked fun at for expressing my disappointment in that fact.

-dale

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by PzKpfwIII:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by average:

Poor Dale. He can't really cherry pick across formations in QBs anymore, and he is very very sad as we can see from his posting on the forums.

I'd like to see a realastic TOE and OB for both sides together with most of the other stuff above.

And what is the "standard" TOE for a German Kampfgruppe or American/British Task Force? </font>

Picking forces is something that MUST return in the WW2 title. Many formations were ad hoc. Having some "standard formations" would feel very clinical. Not to mention the fact that I am already pretty bored with CMSF, despite even the 1.04 patch, which in all honesty is excellent.

I imagined some really cool QB's with T-64s ambushing M1A1s in some dusty town. But I have to reload the game several times to even get that force, and when I do, I get all sorts of stuff I don't even want.

It may be hard setting points values for modern units, but since when is war fair anyway? I hope the WW2 title WILL have force selection. Not only does it allow true ad hoc formations (the ones you'd expect to see, especially in 44), it also extends the life of the game by a hundredfold. CMSF has kept me interested for exactly 2 weeks or so. Then I got tired with this synthetic no control feeling and started playing BB and AK again. (And no, I have absolutely nothing against playing modern units, the total lack of purchase options just doesn't cut it for me)

Enfin, let's hope BFC will return the purchase option..

I think if you can buy units then there should be a sliding scale depending on rarity. If you exceed the number on a rarity scale then it become progressively more expensive.

So say if a sniper was rare for a company you could buy one, but if you bought more than one the price increased exponentially. However, if you played a brigade then your maximum number of snipers would increase

A sniper in a good location in CMSF is worth his weight in gold, especially a US one without counter fire or arty for the enemy.

I still think buying individual troops yourself is best for the fun factor. I mean the other guy could have bought equally idiotic troop formations and you still won with your canned OOB. smile.gif

Some kind of CMx1-style rarity in unit selection should kick in in a WWII title. BFC bought itself some extra coding time with CMSF. Unit 'quality' variables were in but 'rarity' was a virtual non-issue. Syria wasn't exactly going to be bringing in whole new weapons platforms in the couse of this short hypothetical war. In a WWII title unless they go for a VERY tight timeframe (June-July 44?) issue dates for new equipment would be a major factor.

Maybe they'll do WWII stepping-stone style, narrow timeframe titles with focused equipment choices, but progressive modules in quick succession, each appropriately armed.

I am very excited about the WW2 modules. When I see the European rural style maps that I can draw with the scenario editor as it stands just now, with new building textures and a few flavour objects, it's going to LOOK spectacular.

I can't quote any thread definitively but Steve has said that QB force selection in the WW2 module will be very similar to that in CMx1 which is very good news.

Originally posted by Paper Tiger:

I can't quote any thread definitively but Steve has said that QB force selection in the WW2 module will be very similar to that in CMx1 which is very good news.

That is exactly the opposite of what Steve has said in the threads I've read. Maybe he's said otherwise elsewhere though.

-dale

• 7 months later...

It's strange, I can hardly believe it myself but I'm not that interested in WW2 anymore. :eek: Since the game engine has been improved so much in the last few months, I'm really loving the modern era stuff and going back to WW2 doesn't seem so exciting anymore. But of course, when it comes along, I'll buy it and love it and play it to death.

Your point about a playable (challenging) AI opponent is a good one and they'll absolutely HAVE to allow the Germans to use artillery in a more intelligent fashion in the game. However, the Germans didn't get any air support in Normandy so you'll probably find that particular aspect won't change much.

As for getting rid of the Brit's... PLEASE... there do happen to be some people who play this game who are not American ;)

I feel exactly the opposite:after playing a few times CMSF,I want more badly to return to the WW2 with the new CM engine.

Even if the germans won't have air support...so what?we can give them some american planes.

And about the British module...you say there are some englishmen playing the game and they deserve the module.But I gues there are enough Chinese to request a Chinese module,and the Russians would like a Russian one and so on...PLEASE,that way we'll never get to play WW2 using the new engine!!!

enough Chinese to request a Chinese module,and the Russians would like a Russian one and so on...
i would gladly take a russian and chinese modul for the modern setting.

bring it on.

i for one like the modern setting with all it brings along, but WW2 will be fun again too i guess, lets see how it turn out.

what am i expecting!?

- hopefully QB´s with force selection(would be also nice to retrofit it to CMSF)

- hopefully TCPip WEGO with replay tongue.gif

i dont want more than that, just this two tiny features... tongue.gif

Cambronne

sorry mate. I didn't realise that you were being serious with your first post. I really don't think that, after reading your post, BFC were reconsidering their already detailed schedule by dropping the Brit module and going straight to WW2 and then I come along and post and they think, 'ah well, let's stick with the original plan'. We're all definitely going to get to play WW2 with the new engine either around Christmas this year or early in the New Year.

BTW, I'm not English (not that there's anything wrong with that) and there are lots of folks who would LOVE to see Russian and Chinese equipment in the game.

The construction of the CMx2 engine was made, explicitly, to handle parallel development. Currently we are working on CM:SF-Marines, CM:SF-Brits, and CM:Normandy (which reminds me we have got to finalize the name since "Normandy" is a lame title ;) ). At the same time we are also improving the underlying game engine itself.

Or put another way, WW2 development is not being hindered by the Shock Force line of products.

Steve