so, who's happy?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I am happy.

The Syrians are a tough bunch, very different from the Iraqis of the last ten years. As I have often told those wishing to listen down the pub ;) , “Syria would be very different from Iraq.”

Forget the official back-story or background BFC come up with. For me it will be a case of Bush wishing to spread democracy as part of his “legacy” and invading Syria in the last few months of his Presidency. But the Syrians not being all that keen on the idea and therefore “up-for-it”. Will do for me. That is the beauty of it, we can all come up with whatever back-story we feel is most credible to produce an environment that would motivate the Syrians in a way the Iraq’s were not motivated… initially anyway.

The fact that the Syrians have certain modern bits of kit, such as late ‘90s, as opposed to 70s, anti-tank weapons all makes for a far more challenging environment.

The ability to use CMSF as a form of OPFORs trainer due to the Blue v Blue and Red v Red option also adds a lot. It is a feature I will be taking full advantage of.

Will be fun :D ,

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by Exploding Monkey:

I'm looking forward to playing US conscri--er, National Guard untis:

Ha! Great picture. But, as a former Guardsman, I have to point out that we always beat the regulars, Army and Marines, in the field. :D

One thing that is going to be cool about this game is that it is going to be infantry focussed. Everything else is just support.

Originally posted by Scipio:

If you don't forget PBEM, you can count me in.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Technical updates:

(snip)

PBEM... we're not far enough along to say for sure. The things that would nix or allow PBEM haven't happened yet. We'll need some semblance of a "real" scenario with loads of terrain types to know for sure. However, I am as always cautiously optimistic that it will be in and decently functional (i.e. no need to do some sort of file swapping service as some have suggested). So far nothing Charles sees precludes PBEM from working, which is at least a good thing even if it isn't a complete and final assessment.

Steve

Post from last night

I must say i'm very happy with the decision, i've been looking for a realistic modern warfare 3d simulator for a long long time for a game i play with some freinds (we own countrys such and forth) and have in the mean time been forced to use tabletop counters a program would add much to the game seeing as its graphical and will have the stats programed in. i also hold store by what the release said about them releasing possible modules to the original game with other forces that would quite frankly rock. You have yourself a customer and probably around 5 more the guy that play the game will be phsyked to hear about this.... one request pleeease include T55A1's because they're just such a classic piece of armour. oh another thing i know as its been said to have a "blue on blue" scenario however is it possible to have a "red on red?"

I'm also as happy as a pig in crap. I love the new setting. I was hoping for a modern context, suspected modern middle east, and I guessed correctly.

Given the quality of the last two CM games I am convinced we will have an excellent product even if doubts are raised concerning force asymmetry, playability, etc.

I mean, imagine 1:1 representation of SOG units!!

Originally posted by kipanderson:

Hi,

I am happy.

The Syrians are a tough bunch, very different from the Iraqis of the last ten years. As I have often told those wishing to listen down the pub ;) , “Syria would be very different from Iraq.”

The fact that the Syrians have certain modern bits of kit, such as late ‘90s, as opposed to 70s, anti-tank weapons all makes for a far more challenging environment.

The ability to use CMSF as a form of OPFORs trainer due to the Blue v Blue and Red v Red option also adds a lot. It is a feature I will be taking full advantage of.

All the best,

Kip.

Hey thanks, you answered a question I had about why they chose pfictional Syria over modern Iraq.

I even started an entire thread about it. smile.gif

Anyways, I am happy with the setting, I'm not a huge fan of fictional wargames, but this is close enough in time and reality to satisfy me. I would have prefered Iraq, but I am sure I will love the game anyways.

Still waiting for word on Combat Mission: Overland Campaign. smile.gif

I'm happy that BTS is going to offer later modules with other modern forces. Since we'll be able to pit any force against any other force, that means that our range of hypothetical conflicts grows beyond Syria very quickly. Here's hoping they offer Russians, Chinese, all NATO, and a whole slew of guerrillas!

Originally posted by kipanderson:

Hi,

I am happy.

Forget the official back-story or background BFC come up with. For me it will be a case of Bush wishing to spread democracy as part of his “legacy” and invading Syria in the last few months of his Presidency. But the Syrians not being all that keen on the idea and therefore “up-for-it”. Will do for me. That is the beauty of it, we can all come up with whatever back-story we feel is most credible to produce an environment that would motivate the Syrians in a way the Iraq’s were not motivated… initially anyway.

All the best,

Kip.

I find this back-story far more believeable.... :D

While I'm not a big modern person, I'll buy any well-done game. My interests evolve as new games come out, anyways, so from now 'til release I'll be reading everything I can about modern-day tactics, etc. I'm just happy that BTS is developing something so flexible and far reaching. I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time and money on this series.

ps. If more modern modules are coming, I hope the Brits will be covered. Would love to see something on the Falklands...

[ October 10, 2005, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: EarlofWarwick ]

Very happy! I think that it's an inspired choice. For those interested in Iraq type wargaming a little imagination could blur Syria and Iraq without having the baggage of an Iraq game.

Also the rationale of starting complex with the engine and then doing less complex theatres seems sound.

Have longed to play a good modern tactical wargame so will be doing the monkey thing on demo day.

V and FAI, hi,

I am glad we all think alike smile.gif .

I did not start of as a huge fan of a contemporary game pre the announcement. But if they are to do contemporary then going for Syria is a very smart move :D .

Also, when Steve says that the coding for a contemporary game is far more challenging than for a WWII game I believe him. This means that BFC should indeed be able to crack out WWII games without too many problems ambushing them and slowing things down.

I greatly look forward to it,

All the best,

Kip.