PBEM files too big?

I'm trying to do Trident Valley PBEM just now, but the file for the first executed turn comes in at a whopping 14MB. Zipped, it shrinks only to 13MB. My email server wants to reject these files, because they are too big.

Could be a problem.

Has CMSF brought us back to the days of Play by Mail? Do I have to burn a CD with the turn file, and mail it by post to my opponent?

Originally posted by Runyan99:

I'm trying to do Trident Valley PBEM just now, but the file for the first executed turn comes in at a whopping 14MB. Zipped, it shrinks only to 13MB. My email server wants to reject these files, because they are too big.

Could be a problem.

Honestly!! Earlier in the development cycle, BFC mentioned that PBEM might get cut because the file sizes would get too large. Instantly, the board was filled with wailing and gnashing of teeth. "Give us PBEM! We don't care about file size!! We'll find a way!!! If we can't play PBEM, we'll DIE!!!!!!!"

Already people are complaining about file sizes.

Find a way. PBEM has been included (probably against better judgement) as a courtesy to you, the fans.

Oh, and hello. I haven't been here for three years or so, I think. But this CMSF thingy looks very appetizing smile.gif

If you have Windows, you have MSN Messenger (or now Live Messenger). And if you have Messenger, you have fast file transfer.

Of course that requires you to be online at the same time. If you can't handle that, use Gmail for sending them via email.

14Mb is a tiny attachment for an e-mail today. Change your e-mail account provider... You used an outdated e-mail provider.

We are in the days of big bandwith, and e-mail attachments of 100Mb are common on my daily work.

In two years, will be common to email even 1Gb of attachment in few minutes. Internet grows that fast!.

So, it's a great idea to keep PBEM in the game.

I am an executive with one of the world's largest high tech companies and our email limit is 10Meg. I usually use my work email for PBEM becuase its faster. On DSL or Cable, a 50Mb file is still going to take on the order of minutes.

Not saying BFC can do anything about CMSF, just stating that some people seem to think that because they have access to high systems, everyone does.

Splitting and joining is a no-brainer. Download any kit of Unix utilities for Windoze (Mac people already have it) and use the commandline utilities 'split' and 'cat'. While you are at it, you can also use a commandline mailer so that you can send the 10 parts all in one script.

Gmail just recently upgraded the maximum attachment size to 20Mb.

Maybe even better would be a new PBEM Helper type application which would divide the files into zips and automatically send them with the default mailing program. Now start coding, someone dammit! :mad:

14Mb is a tiny attachment for an e-mail today. Change your e-mail account provider... You used an outdated e-mail provider.
:confused: tongue.gif :eek: :eek: :eek:

Um, I've been working in the online industry (for two different studios) for almost a decade, and that's news to me. 14MB is huge, with our without broadband. Most people don't like trading 14MB files, esp. considering how many turns we're talking here.

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

I will compare the old threads about PBEM file sizes with these new threads. Then I'm going to take my baseball bat and go for a little trip. :mad: :mad: :mad:

;)

You play baseball????.....can you pitch?, are you left-handed?...the N Y Yankees are looking for a replacement for this Japanese guy that they paid a lot of money for...the Netherlands is a lot closer than Yokohama.

Originally posted by Joques1:

Already people are complaining about file sizes.

Find a way. PBEM has been included (probably against better judgement) as a courtesy to you, the fans.

Oh, and hello. I haven't been here for three years or so, I think. But this CMSF thingy looks very appetizing smile.gif

Welcome back and BTW, PBEM is crucial to this type of game especially for people who still work for a living..the reason CM series is/was so popular was for PBEM convenience. I'm totally confident a scheme for sending game packets without choking the old fashioned email system's still out there is just around the corner..I hope it's ready by the time I learn this game anyway. smile.gif

• 5 months later...

I'm checking out of this game and demanding my money back, if I have to use a third party to send files to an opponent.

A 15 MB PBEM save file?

Did anyone bother to test this before release, or did you just follow the Microsoft model of software releases.

Send it out and fix it later.

Battlefront, you just lost another customer. :mad: