12.7mm MG in Action

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

Hell, a 7.62mm will cut through a car almost as well. Cars are not cover.

In other news:

- Abrams gun capable of taking out light truck at 500 metres.

- Soviet Strela missile danger to planes if fired at them

- Sun rises in the east

All the best

Andreas

Oddly enough I remember looking at the penetration figures for soviet weapons and it turned out that at under 500m the 14.7mm was actually better than a 23mm.

Obviously over range and particularly at 2,000m or so the 23mm was far better, and therefore the obvious choice for AA. but it does mean that if you operate helicopters even armoured ones in urban areas, you can get a nasty surprise.

Peter

Cool video of the MG fire. Reminds me of the private shooting events we hold here where we open fire on cars with various full auto weapons, much like what you see in the video. Except we do it in the day. smile.gif

On the A-10 video, a couple of comments. First, I note the comment at the beginning of that article on how the A-10 pilot was described as "gloating sickeningly" as he made his attack run. What an idiotic statement, our soldiers (including England's) are *supposed* to be enthusiastic about obliterating the enemies of our countries. They're warriors, not girl scouts. Of course they are going to be enthused when making an attack run on Saddam's army. There's nothing negative or "sickening" about that.

I'm certainly saddened to see that friendly brit forces were hit (as were the pilots very obviously), the same thing has happened to U.S. forces before, it's nothing new. Friendly fire accidents occur in war. I would point out that the the pilots asked several times if there were any friendlies in the target area and were told repeatedly that none were. If there was some further checklist protocol that was supposed to have been followed to ensure no friendlies in the area before any firing was done, and that wasn't followed, then disciplinary action is warranted.

But it's not like these guys just went in there wildly firing, they checked with the FAC and asked him several times if there were any friendlies in the area, and the FAC kept saying no. They obviously were very concerned for the safety of friendly ground forces that might be in the area, and that has to be factored in to any hearing on the matter.

I agree -- the only thing that went against them was the 2nd pilot's impulsiveness, as some article I read said they should have waited for one more confirmation (they had another arty strike in to mark the target). Regardless, it is a shame that the family of the UK soldier killed was jerked around a bit by the powers that be.

Still, they had checked so throughly, and were cleared, so it is sad that something like this should happen to what seems like a fairly responsible decision maker.

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by Capt. Toleran:

I agree -- the only thing that went against them was the 2nd pilot's impulsiveness, as some article I read said they should have waited for one more confirmation (they had another arty strike in to mark the target). Regardless, it is a shame that the family of the UK soldier killed was jerked around a bit by the powers that be.

Still, they had checked so throughly, and were cleared, so it is sad that something like this should happen to what seems like a fairly responsible decision maker.

One of the things that really used to piss me off in the army was when command would come down with "Anyone past this line after X hundred hours is enemy" and then call you every five minutes to tell you about the approaching engineers, or cooks, or florists. Too many times guys see what they were expecting to see because they have been told that nothing else should be there. It makes you doubt your eyes.

So cool it's hot!

Pick-up truck, not a car...although in Alberta they seem more prevalent than cars ;)

Two things I wasn't ready for in this video:

1. He shoots low a lot, even at short range on a closed field (or are the occasional dirt puffs along the LOF something else?);

2. Some of the tracers not only bounce off (which I expected) but seem to disintegrate and kick off their incendiary as more of a starshell flare;

Originally posted by Capt. Toleran:

Supposedly a Russian 12.7mm MG in action, vs. target car.

- Sun rises in the east
Sure about that?

There was a place - little bar - in Manila where I would swear it was not.

But then maybe it had something to do with the consumption of intoxinating drinks...

And yes, the guy seems to miss the car quite a few times...

That maybe explains why he went so close...

Originally posted by Flanker15:

I like when the tracer cartridges get flung up into the air and float down. Also the bright sparks that appear when the truck is hit, are those impact sparks or disintegrating tracers?

A mix of both. It's really spectacular seeing an M2 firing Armor Piercing Incindiary rounds at a solid target, like a tank hulk. It's like a roman candle from hell.

Originally posted by unsobill:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jippo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nidan1:

I thought Soviet tracers were green, are we sure its a 12.7 Russian made or just an M-2?

They're red. </font>