12.7mm MG in Action

Originally posted by Nidan1:

Don't laugh...you could be absolutely right, maybe the Russians learned from Afghanistan...change the tracer color on all exported munitions to mitigate confusion on any future battlefield.

Do they also supply Chechen rebels with red tracer ammunition?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by c3k:

Hmmm,

Jippo's experience may be a cause for concern. Since it seems that all his actual "Russian tracers are red" statements are based on being a FINN.

I postulate the following: real Soviet/Russian/CIS forces use GREEN tracers. The factories which supply export items to, oh, say Finland, are under strict guidelines to CHANGE the color of the tongue.gif tracers. This is obviously needed since any future Russo-Finn war would be confusing because they use similar weapons. Brilliant!

That's how you can tell a Russion T-72 from a Finnish T-72 in combat conditions.

I have solved the conundrum.

Carry on.

Ken

yea i was confused first as well thinking what "real" russian battalion would use red tracers until i've seen flag on the tank of his screens - i guess he also represent russian side along finnish on these forums, :D due the fact most of "average" americans consider everything that cold and snowy as "Russia". tongue.gif

Originally posted by unsobill:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by c3k:

Hmmm,

Jippo's experience may be a cause for concern. Since it seems that all his actual "Russian tracers are red" statements are based on being a FINN.

I postulate the following: real Soviet/Russian/CIS forces use GREEN tracers. The factories which supply export items to, oh, say Finland, are under strict guidelines to CHANGE the color of the tongue.gif tracers. This is obviously needed since any future Russo-Finn war would be confusing because they use similar weapons. Brilliant!

That's how you can tell a Russion T-72 from a Finnish T-72 in combat conditions.

Carry on.

Ken

yea i was confused first as well thinking what "real" russian battalion would use red tracers until i've seen flag on the tank of his screens - i guess he also represent russian side along finnish on these forums, :D due the fact most of "average" americans consider everything that cold and snowy as "Russia". tongue.gif </font>No That's Denver.

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by unsobill:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by c3k:

Hmmm,

Carry on.

Ken

yea i was confused first as well thinking what "real" russian battalion would use red tracers until i've seen flag on the tank of his screens - i guess he also represent russian side along finnish on these forums, :D due the fact most of "average" americans consider everything that cold and snowy as "Russia". tongue.gif </font>

Originally posted by unsobill:

yea i was confused first as well thinking what "real" russian battalion would use red tracers until i've seen flag on the tank of his screens.

Sure they would change the color as the SU industrial system insisted on using the same components on everything they produce from helicopters to tanks (Mi-8 has some same instruments as T-72)! smile.gif

I really don't think they would bother about that kind of things with the tiny FDF order. smile.gif

i guess he also represent russian side along finnish on these forums, :D due the fact most of "average" americans consider everything that cold and snowy as "Russia". tongue.gif

Sure, not a problem. smile.gif AK vs AR fight anyone???

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nidan1:

Don't laugh...you could be absolutely right, maybe the Russians learned from Afghanistan...change the tracer color on all exported munitions to mitigate confusion on any future battlefield.

Do they also supply Chechen rebels with red tracer ammunition? </font>

Originally posted by Nidan1:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nidan1:

Do they also supply Chechen rebels with red tracer ammunition? </font>

By the way, do you really think it makes a difference if you & your opponent use the same or different tracer color?

I mean that although it may ease the situation a little bit when deciding what to do, but you can't base any judgement on that thing alone. You should always be aware of who is the enemy by some other means not just tracer color alone. That means visual ID on the most cases, and in most others somebody else is already shooting at you so it is ok to shoot back. So in which way does the difference in tracer color help to make identification?

I'f you are going to shoot the first round you must ID the target, if the target is already shooting at you he's the enemy. If two other parties are fighting with each other, then you should be already having a pretty good idea who's who just by looking at their respective locations. On top of that there shouldn't be that many tracers flying in normal infantry combat anyways, at least not in this part of the world there isn't.