Hotfix for 1.06 campaign issues or do we wait for 1.07?

carlR

There does seem to be a problem. In some (possibly all) campaign missions, the red units are mis-placed from where they used to be. For instance, units that were once in trenches are now located on plain ground away from the trenches. Units that were once in buildings are now located behind or away from those buildings. Obviously this messes up certain ambush plans with which the mission may have been designed.

You can see this by starting a new campaign mission, immediately surrendering, and then reviewing the map for red positions.

I actually saw this happen in 1.05 (paradox CD version) in the "Hims Homes" mission. Some bad guys were in sensible positions, but others were not. There was an HMG team in the middle of the road, red squads starting out in the near left corner of the map (ie starting in view of all my vehicles!), and other such oddities.

It did make things somewhat easier. :D

You can't edit a compiled campaign so nobody will be able to do that I'm afraid. There do appear to be some weird anomolies on pre-1.06 scenarios that I've noted elsewhere. I noticed that AI plans in some situations, not all, had their weight changed to "use sometimes" But I cahnged them all back and everything seems to be working fine again.

Oh, I'm sure there is a problem that needs to be fixed. There's probably some bit in the campaign data format that needed an update for some other reason and it was overlooked. So far as we know it only affects the campaign. But Charles hasn't had a chance to look at it today, though I know he is aware of it and has reviewed several reports from testers.

Steve

Problem found. Charles made a fix to a bug in how AI setup zones worked. Unfortunately, some scenario authors had done something incorrectly in the past that wasn't "punished" because the bug ignored the problem. Now that the bug has been found and fixed, these errors are now resulting in behavior that wasn't intended.

The fix is a hack to preserve the bug for scenarios (which includes campaign battles) created prior to v1.06. For anything created from there on the bug fix will kick in as intended.

We're discussing strategies on how to get this fix out to you.

Steve

Originally posted by Martyr:

Steve,

Would you let us know whether this problem affects non-campaign scenarios at all?

I thought I saw something in one, but it was ambiguous, and a glance at another looked perfectly fine. I've not had time for other testing than this.

Thanks!

I just played Big City Blues by Mark Ezra I believe he made it for 1.06 but I'm not sure. Anyway many of the red troops are scattered throughout the map rather than being in the location where I saw them in the editor.

Originally posted by bodkin:

I just played Big City Blues by Mark Ezra I believe he made it for 1.06 but I'm not sure. Anyway many of the red troops are scattered throughout the map rather than being in the location where I saw them in the editor.

I just checked Big City Blues and saw this too.

I haven't used the editor much. Do units always start in the same location, regardless of what plan is chosen? If so, then there is a definitely a mismatch between where I saw units in the editor and where they were located when I reviewed the map. (I ceasefired after three seconds, so they didn't have time to go anywhere.)

Originally posted by Martyr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bodkin:

I just checked Big City Blues and saw this too.

I haven't used the editor much. Do units always start in the same location, regardless of what plan is chosen? If so, then there is a definitely a mismatch between where I saw units in the editor and where they were located when I reviewed the map. (I ceasefired after three seconds, so they didn't have time to go anywhere.) </font>

Just a dumb question..

What's the problem exactly with scenarios and how can you avoid/fix it?!

BFC is just referring to secret mistake scenario makers have committed for which will be issued a classified fix.

But what should be done different? And can I take malfunctioning scenario and fix it easily?

Originally posted by Barleyman:

Just a dumb question..

What's the problem exactly with scenarios and how can you avoid/fix it?!

BFC is just referring to secret mistake scenario makers have committed for which will be issued a classified fix.

But what should be done different? And can I take malfunctioning scenario and fix it easily?

It is NOT about scen. It is found in the campaigns. And if I read Steve properly It is found in some EARLY campaigns. Please do not confuse the two.

My personal experience with the Scen is: They all play as designed. Many designers add multiple plans. I certainly do. And with in each plan a crafty designer can add multiple choices for the AI to make at setup so a player can Never be sure he's got plan 3 or 1, or 5. That means Just because I "know" plan one always has guys in bldg A it does not follow (always) that I can count on the mine field, MG nest, arty fires, hidden sniper, ATGM, tank to be in those woods on the left. It is the sublime beauty of the AI editor of CMx2 that allows a scenario to be re-played without certainty