a call for more variety in the WWII CMx2 game

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about unit patches arm bands for uniforms?

Decals for helmets?

Unit insignia for vehicles?

Those were 2D textures for 3D models or part of 2D textures.

Now new CM series have finer detail and graphics and those kind of things are relativily easy to make compared to 3D models

like these I mean

Tri_Color_Dry.jpg

so different foreign volunteer units of Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS are easy just some national decal or patch

US%20Decals.jpg

and of course helmet netting and such

506th_PIR.jpg

101st_Airborne_Division.gif

last one Eastern Front stuff Za Stalina! For Stalin!

park_pobiedy.jpg

We are definitely going to attempt some sort of "decal" approach to allow for personalization of vehicles and soldiers. We haven't had a chance to mess with this yet, though, so I can't give any details about this at the moment.

Back to camo for a bit... very true there is no black in nature, but you'd be hard pressed to tell your eyes that when looking inside a forest :D On top of that, as the Multicam people point out, green is not a color that Mother Nature feels is very important for most creatures. For example, deer are brown, white, and black, yet they do pretty well in terms of being difficult to spot except at very close range.

Steve

Steve

I remember asking BFC about decal/patch system back in CMBO days. It would be awesome to just pick a unit from a drop-down unit menu list in the editor,pick the unit you want, and the game will automatically apply that patch/decal to all uniforms and vehicles

Ive also been asking for variety in vehicle and infantry models. We finally for that in vehicles, but not in infantry yet. It would be nice to have several models to choose from. Id love to see a model with regular kevlar helmet, one with new style, one with baseball hat (to mod into PMC forces), one with boonie hat, goggles on/off,etc

I know that the models have to fit/match into vehicles, but maybe you can work some magic

Modding decals is possible, customizing the shape of the models is not. To have a baseball cap, for example, would require a unique model and a ton of animations. Putting a different unit patch on the upper arm in the exact place we've allowed for it to go... that's the sort of thing we can do.

And if someone wants to put Pepsi Cola instead of a rank patch... go for it :D We won't be doing that though.

Steve

Originally posted by Mord:

Is there anyway to leave the vehicle crews where they drop? Like this?

113dq8.jpg

That is one kickass pic!

Mord.

Except of course for the track that has all disappeared (not broken, not run out at one end or another, just gone) and the running gear seems to be in perfect condition, for what I guess is supposed to be a lower hull hit (in the absence of any other damage on that side).

Interesting criteria for a "great pic", but to each their own, I guess.

Kwazydawg wrote:

Also, keep in mind that small arms are 3D models now with seperate clips, workable tripods, ejecting shells, etc
There we have it from the horse's mouth. Bren Tripods WILL be in CMX2 after all! Why else spend so much time and resources including tripods unless you've finally seen the light. Brian will be crying out... vindication at last!

;)

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

But, will the crews be able to run with them?

Will there be 100-round drums?

Enquiring minds want to know, will there be horses? tongue.gif

We already talked about horses on page 9. :D

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Except of course for the track that has all disappeared (not broken, not run out at one end or another, just gone) and the running gear seems to be in perfect condition, for what I guess is supposed to be a lower hull hit (in the absence of any other damage on that side).

Interesting criteria for a "great pic", but to each their own, I guess.

I wasn't commenting on the vehicle itself which looks good enough (though broken track would be cool), I was talking about the crew, hence the part where I wrote "Is there anyway to leave the vehicle crews where they drop?" I wouldn't know whether running gear looked perfect or blown to hell...I leave that level of anal minutia up to you Groggy types. Between Jason C, Dorosh and the hundred other guys like you on here that know stuff no human should know, I sleep comfortable in the knowledge that all those little historical thingies that escape me, will be covered. That's why I still hang here.

Mord.

[ March 14, 2008, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Mord ]

As I said each to his own.

You reckon its a great pic because it shows the crew slumped where they fell, I reckon its a poor picture because the "damage" on the vehicle looks bizarre (more like its part way though a rebuild at workshops).

You care about the bodies, I don't, that's all.

I just think that before we say "we want it just like this", that we don't throw the baby out with the bath water and get it "just like this" when what we want is "just like this but with realistic vehicle damage too" or somesuch.

Yeah, ok...I can agree with that. Sorry I wasn't more clear. The other thread (Damage Textures) had some more pics but I couldn't find many vehicles displaying holes. I'd definitely like to see holes and the like, no argument there.

I feel pretty confident from recent statements that we'll definitely be seeing something better visually in the vehicle damage department come the WWII game.

One of my favorite parts of the game has always been surveying the map after the battle and viewing the scenes where particularly cool fights took place...the more visually there is the more awesome that experience is for me. So here's hoping for both.

Mord.

[ March 14, 2008, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Mord ]

Originally posted by Childress:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Putting a different unit patch on the upper arm in the exact place we've allowed for it to go... that's the sort of thing we can do.

Steve

More chrome (sigh). Has Steve gone over to the Dark Side? </font>

Yes I think people are calming down a bit (but of course not fully content).

True, true. The forum has cooled to room temperature.

But, IMO, perhaps beating a dead horse:

Fluff= cuss words, mooning, etc.

Chrome= patches, aircraft effects and, yes, visual damage. CMSF already supplies heaps of chrome.

Flavor= refinements to infantry, cover arcs and such. Auto-reversing vehicles, added in 1.07, being a fine example.

Now that the game is stable, more Flavor, please. ;)

[ March 14, 2008, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Childress ]

Yes I think people are calming down a bit (but of course not fully content).

Don't worry though we are still working on "stuff".

Good to hear that the ww2 team has been deployed.

Inference seems to be that BF are going to pick up the ball again and actually re-invent cmx1 in modular form. Which of course is what will work best.

Originally posted by GSX:

Good to hear that the ww2 team has been deployed.

Where the hell did you get that from????

Stop drawing inferences because the ones that you are drawing are wrong!

Development work (at least what we see on the Beta test team) is still very much focused on CM:SF and subsequent modules in that timeframe (i.e. to make it crystal clear, No one has started work on ANYTHING to do with the Second World War). Even the USMC module is just appearing on the horizon and ANYTHING beyond that is totally TBA.

Talk about giving a cm and taking the Pan American Highway.

[ March 14, 2008, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Kellysheroes was correct when he said,

I think this module system is going to get tired before it begins good. People are going to see it's just a donkey milking process of chopping CMBO/CMBB and CMAK into modules and just selling each for some near full retail price. A lil change in an engine and some more pretty pictures and doesn't even really feel like the old series at all and oh I'm betting $35 a pop for each module. I didn't buy into CM:SF and I'm not sure I will buy into the rest now after seeing all the issues and problems with CM:SF. It must be pretty bad you can get it for like $7.00 on Amazon.com now.

I gratuitously re-printed the above, only because it’s so accurate.

The only questionable variables are; how much of a ‘donkey’ do you feel like being ‘milked’?

We’ve had a few answers to that already.

I’m just saying that what “Kellysheroe’s” said should not be dismissed. (As it was)