Wargamer AAR is Up!

Jarhead0331 (and BFC),

Good find and a nice read--or are you the reviewer?

I liked the inadvertent funny with Route Lightening. Not sure whether the method involves helium or bleach, though.

This reviewer, playing 1.02, apparently had no problems at all with the game, to include disappearing units, floating men, troops doing stupid things which got them killed, etc. To the contrary, Clausewitz and his "friction" seem to have taken the day off. Even the Syrian big nasties seem to have done relatively little.

The single biggest thing I noted was weird artifacting of the Strykers' slat armor, so pronounced I thought that chain link fence had been added on as a field mod. The other thing I was wondering about is whether the 120mm mortars are that effective at leveling buildings made of reinforced concrete over a steel frame. How many rounds did it take to do all that flattening?

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by thewood:

Yeah, reading it I had the feeling it wasn't the same game I'm playing. Especially getting through breaches.

I am the author...its not a REVIEW, its an After-Action Report, why would you expect details with respect to technical difficulties or bugs? Those observations are for a review, not for an AAR...In any event, I played this scenario and wrote the AAR prior to v.1.02 being released, and I haven't experienced any of the problems you or John Kettler are referring to. The scenario ran smooth and I don't recall coming across any obvious or game stealing bugs.

Originally posted by thewood:

I am quite stunned you were able to breach walls and use them to enter. You had no problems with infantry moving? I'll have to go back and try that scenario again.

I had no problem moving infantry through that breach...This is clear from the screen shots...I ordered them to assault those buildings in the barracks complex and they charged right on through. You will notice, however, that I did not order any Strykers through the breach in the wall. When playing other scenarios, I have had difficulty moving armored vehicles through breaches, but since I did not attempt it in this scenario it was not a problem for me.

Great reporting...but aren't you pulling a "Geraldo" with all that specific troop location info...What is it with you? Gonna get yourself a pulitzer prize at the expense of our war effort...?

Seriously Jarhead...excellent AAR

[ August 24, 2007, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: MarkEzra ]

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

There are a lot of hard working, intellectually as well as physically brave reporters. Geraldo ain't one of 'em. Jarhead is.

My friend, you have no idea...I swear I developed carpal tunnel typing up that report! And I narrowly escaped a vertical envelopment maneuver conducted by my wife, irate over the fact that I was busy in front of the computer on a saturday night. We staff writers at wargamer deserve combat pay!

Originally posted by Jarhead0331:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by thewood:

Yeah, reading it I had the feeling it wasn't the same game I'm playing. Especially getting through breaches.

I am the author...its not a REVIEW, its an After-Action Report, why would you expect details with respect to technical difficulties or bugs? Those observations are for a review, not for an AAR...In any event, I played this scenario and wrote the AAR prior to v.1.02 being released, and I haven't experienced any of the problems you or John Kettler are referring to. The scenario ran smooth and I don't recall coming across any obvious or game stealing bugs. </font>

Originally posted by Jarhead0331:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by thewood:

I am quite stunned you were able to breach walls and use them to enter. You had no problems with infantry moving? I'll have to go back and try that scenario again.

I had no problem moving infantry through that breach...This is clear from the screen shots...I ordered them to assault those buildings in the barracks complex and they charged right on through. You will notice, however, that I did not order any Strykers through the breach in the wall. When playing other scenarios, I have had difficulty moving armored vehicles through breaches, but since I did not attempt it in this scenario it was not a problem for me. </font>