v1.04 patch release info

Hi all!

We had wanted to release the patch before this weekend, however a few last minute glitches made that not such a good idea :D We're still trying to straighten out the last of them. These glitches came from rewriting part of the terrain rendering code so as to increase framerates for everybody. It's working fantastic, however there are some "artifacts" that need to be cleaned up first.

This list of improvements is quite substantial beyond speeding up the framerates. The most recent fixes make infantry more responsive and less prone to some indecisiveness in certain situations.

OK... so when will it be released? We want it out the door ASAP, but it can't ship until we've cleaned up the last few graphics issues. We're hoping that will only take another day or two at most.

Thanks!

Steve

Thank you for the heads up Steve!

I am looking very much forward to 1.04 and it just might be the version for me in which to give the campaign a full blown try. Been holding out playing other stuff until you and the hard working crew get the worst of them bugs squashed! A good game on your HD waiting to shine is almost as good as money in the bank!

Thank you and all the best

Frans

Steve

Thanks for the feedback on patch 1.04.

I appreciate that you guys have also been working hard on graphics fixes so I thought I would try to pick your brains. I am not that "clued-up" on computers so excuse me if my comments or questions seem overly simplistic.

Firstly, I currently have an AMD x2 dual core 3800+ (2.0 GHz) Processor.

2.048 GB of DDR RAM.

nVidia Geforce 6600 3D 256MB graphics card.

As a consequence I am rather limited to the size of game I can play with CMSF, as well as the quality of the graphics settings.

I am about the spend some of my quarterly bonus on treating myself to a new or upgraded computer. CMSF seems to be the most demanding/problematic game I have so far as graphics are concerned. However, I am reading in these forums that obtaining the highest end machines may not necessarily be a solution. So I am looking for some ideas.

Please note that I am not making a complaint, and so I am not looking for the reasons that the problems exist - I probably would not understand the reasons anyway.

I am simply looking for some workable views on the subject. For example, what sort of specifications and components should I be looking for based on the research and diagnostics that you guys have been conducting over the past weeks?

I would also welcome any thoughts from anyone who feels they can assist a non-technical enthusiast.

Thanks.

"rewriting part of the terrain rendering code" well as it's suspected it seems a lot of problems come from there

markh you can't get any answer on that. but I'll give you an highlight, if you want to build an endurable system upgrade to the best card out there, that is the infamous Geforce 8800. It does not matter which are the current problems with the game, BF is gotta have to fix them (or nvidia, or both), as it's becoming the satndard FAST.

I myself plan to buy one and I could careless if CMSF can't work with it, then I'll have to live w/o CMSF or asny CMx2 game if it's gonna be that way for a while.

Now if you are building your system around this game (bad idea, IMO), I would pick an older card which will not be as profitable. Maybe upgrading your CPU would help too, but this all depends on which games do you run or which applications.

Is there any tweaking of the multiplayer part? I've yet to play a lagless game and I have tried several different hosts so far. What kind of connection is needed? I have 1024k DSL. Yesterday I had joined a game with a ~170ms ping. Not perfect but I couldnt explain the SEVERAL minutes it took for my vehicles to carry out the orders and the neverending disembarkment of passengers. Is this just bad connection or bugs in the net code? I havent come to a conclusion yet.

Pre-1.04 Impressions from yesterdays CM:SF session:

The Good: switching off the blue icons as my Humvees and Strykers race across the map on fast, trailing dust behind them ... :D

The Bad: Trying to check LOS from a recon Humvee with the Target command ... :confused:

The Ugly: watching my .50 cal bullets tear into a mosque, clearly making a 45 degree turn in midair a few meters before impacting!!!!! :eek:

Best regards,

Thomm

I have a lot of criticisms of BFC, but mostly I don’t voice them because they make the best games of their kind (by, as they keep telling us), a Long Shot.

But you do have to admire their patch-worthyiness, even if they do understand it’s in their own substantial interest.

I lament the abandonment of CMx1 half-way through it’s development ( I really, really do..) but I guess if CM:SF ever gets to be as good as CMx1 before it’s abandoned too, that will in, nett, be a good thing.