A Brief History of Time and Combat Mission... by Madmatt

Madmatt

In light of some of the recent tone and posts by people here in this forum, I wrote up this little doflicky. I hope you enjoy...

We told the world we wanted to do a WWII tactical computer game. They said "Can't be done, how could you out do Squad Leader!?! Computers can't do these types of games" We said we wouldn't use hexes. They said "Impossible! I won't play it, give me my hexes!" We said it would be in 3D. They said, "Bah, it will play like a twitcher game. Get a clue Battlefront!." We said it will use a revolutionary hybrid turn/action movie system. They said, "Whoza jiga wha?!? Can't be done. Who would only want to watch 60 seconds of gameplay?". in the summer of 2000 Combat Mission Beyond Overlord was released and won numerous industry praise and accolades including the Turn Based Strategy Game of the Year Award from PC Gamer.

We said we are going to make an Eastern Front game. They said, "Who cares about the Eastern front, just tweak the damn Western Front." We said we were going to improve the movement commands. They said, "You can't improve perfection! I want to Run my SMG squads right into the enemy's foxholes!" We said we had a whole new rarity system in the works. They said, "What?!? I wanna have King Tigers and SMG troops in Finland throughout the whole war!" We said we wanted to make the combat more realistic. They said, "Didn't you hear us? It's fine as is!" We said, we were going to add new commands, like covered arcs. They said, "Why only those? Why can't I have my own pet peeve command?". We said, We were going to add Prep Barrage. They said, "Oh great now the game will be lopsided toward the Russians." We said we were now modeling 7 different levels of optics. They said, "Oh great now the game will be lopsided toward the Germans!" We said we had improved the armor penetration system to be more realistic. They said, "Who is Rexford and why should we thank him?!?". We said we were adding a new feature called the "deathclock". They said, "Why would you ever need to clock death!?!". We said we had improved the entire unit fatigue modeling. They said "Oh come on, you mean my exhausted troops can't close assault for 23 turns in a row anymore?!?". September 20th, 2002 CMBB was released to the gaming public and boasted hundreds of gameplay improvements and new features including vastly improved graphics and sound. It won the PC Gamer 2002 Strategy Turn Based Game of the Year award.

We said it was going to be set in North Africa, Crete and Italy. They said, "No, what about early war, the Pacific, or my neighbors backyard???! And desert warfare is boring with no tactical skill necessary." We said that to reduce the game's price CMAK would ship with a smaller manual since the full one would be nearly identical to the existing CMBB manual. They said, "What?!? Your ripping us off, even though you are saving us money!". We said we were implementing dust clouds. They said, "So what...". We said that CMAK would have some multi-turreted units modeled. They said, "If I can't micromanage every single facet of my tanks then I don't care!". We said we weren't going to include Bren's on tripods. You said, umm well okay no one other than Dorosh really cared about that one. On December 3rd, 2003 CMAK was released and even though it was at the end of the year, it still won the PC Gamers Strategy Turn Based Game of the Year award.

3 CM games released to date, dozens of awards including 3 PC Gamer Strategy Turn Based Game of the year awards (2000,2002,2003) plus a Computer Gaming World Wargame of the Year award (2002). Games that have been sold in virtually every single country on Earth. All of it, based upon an unproven game concept and idea and a vision by a virtually unknown, small software company. And now we stand, on the cusp of the next generation of wargaming realism and fun.

Those of you who trusted us before were rewarded with games that met or surpassed your expectations. Those of you who doubted us and complained? Well you got the same damn gameplay and still loved it!

So, maybe, just maybe WE KNOW WHAT THE HELL WE ARE DOING!

Thank you and good night!

Oh and if you don't like what I had to say you can help yourself to a warm glass of shut the hell up!

Madmatt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I wanted Bren tripods also, I just didnt cry about it as much as Dorosh. tongue.gif

Thanks for the recap, BTW where did the manifesto go ? I used to link to it from my crappy webpage but the link is broken so I had to point it to the aboutus thingy. BTS Fix or do somefink./

Let me guess, Matt, you're not married (that's a rhetorical question, I don't care about the answer).

After all these years, you still foolishly insist on being right. Clearly, you're wrong. You're wrong for reasons you cannot comprehend, and never will.

Just say "yes honey", and do it anyway.

:D

You know even the biggest hater of SF is gonna download the demo, if only not to be at a disadvantage when the WW2:ETO game comes out.

*shakes head to clear sound of horn blowing*

We're know you know what you're doing. I personally would have preferred WWII but understand the reasons for Modern Era. So I've got over it. I'm sure 99% of people here are, or will become, the same.

<font face="-2" color="#555555">Can I say I think it should be called Combat Mission: Bush Wars? No? OK.</font>

Stephen Hawking would be proud, but MadMatt, but you forgot to mention the black hole that sucks up most of the idea's that come from this forum. ;)

And how does Imaginary Time come in to play on this. I don't recall reading anything in "A Brief History of Time" about how time moves slower when you are trying to load that second RPG round while the Abrams you just scratched is slewing in your general direction.

Finally, if the universe is indeed saddle shaped, then why the hell don't we have mounted infantry in CMSF!!!! The last time I checked there are camels in Syria!!!! :mad:

heheh

Good post, MadMatt. ;)

I'd gotten a bit weary of dozens of new threads by the hour just to gripe and moan about this being a setting someone didn't like.

Have a little faith, people. They know what they're doing. smile.gif

And if you truly *don't* like this game, there'll be others. :D

But then, I'm easy to please. I have to be since I married Hiram. tongue.gif

[ October 14, 2005, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Moraine Sedai ]

And for those of you who are clueless and said we used the combat mission name and it isn't related to CMSF at all?

Let's see, a tactical wargame using wego at the company level. Hey look, same as CMBO CMBB CMAK and CMSF.

Grow up.

Rune

Originally posted by Madmatt:

In light of some of the recent tone and posts by people here in this forum, I wrote up this little doflicky. I hope you enjoy...

[anti-whiner rant snipped]

Oh and if you don't like what I had to say you can help yourself to a warm glass of shut the hell up!

Madmatt

Well said. This new CMx will only enrich things.

Originally posted by Madmatt:

snip

Madmatt

I'm sure Charles knows what he is doing. You, on the other hand, with your ****forbrains arrogance have lost a sale. I mostly don't give a rat's ass about any of the stuff the others whine about. I have all three of the other games, play the hell out of them and love them. But I won't be buying the latest one. Ever. Because you, Madmatt, are a ****stick. Piss off.

Originally posted by MrPeng:

I'm sure (snip)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Madmatt:

(snipped)

Madmatt

</font>

Wow, did Peng just snap?!? Kinda took my post a little personal there don'tcha think there Pengy?

Now, who can tell me what a ****stiff is exactly? Sounds interesting... I think I want one.

Okay, I am going to extend a nice looong degree of tolerance to a forum elder and assume he just took the tone of my post totally in the wrong way (didn't catch the humor eh?) but if thats really how you feel and thats how you intend to act on our forums and with that type of language, well, you do know where the door is sir.

You, of all people should know the rules and how we enforce them around here Peng. As we have always said, buying a copy of one of our games buys you a copy of one of our games. PERIOD. It does not entitle a person special rights to come here and make an ass of themselves or act immature, disrespectful or abusive, especially in a thread which was meant to be more humerous than anything else.

Madmatt

[ October 13, 2005, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]