Prediction: CM:SF wins Wargame of the Year

I was soundly criticized for my comments about blog reviews when I stated, basically, who cares what they think, good or bad. I may draw some fire also were I to say who gives a crap about game awards since outside of long-estabilshed ones like, say, those presented at Origins, they have pretty wildly diverse weights behind them.

But you know what bothers me the most? Uninformed commentary of any kind, pro or con. That's what the "debate" regarding CM:SF has largely revolved around, and Mark, excuse me for saying so, but your comments in recent days have been just as unconstructive as any of the fellows trashing the game. I am pleased as punch that you enjoy the game (I do too) and feel so secure in your purchase that you have no qualms about defending the game in public. I just don't see what good you're doing by spouting off pollyanna even in the face of well-reasoned, informed and objective discussions - I won't even say "criticism" because often you leap in to defend CM:SF even when it isn't even being attacked or subjected to criticism, but only to mere scrutiny.

Will it win an award? Who knows? And who cares at this point? We all have our opinions - and far better we spend our time discussing constructively the things that matter the most right now, such as technical issues, and perhaps even scenario design tips, tactics and strategy, maybe some specific comments for map and scenario designers (there hasn't been a great deal of that, and I know there were a lot of pretty talented people working on the campaign scens that still haven't received much due here in public - if anyone can show me a better map than one of George's, I'd love to see it), bug reports, etc.

I don't like the word "fanboy" because it is usually used dismissively, and I certainly don't mean to dismiss your enthusiasm out of hand. But let's lay off the rosy predictions and put them in the same category as the dire predictions of battlefront's downfall and maybe settle in to some informed commentary on the game itself.

I predict that MarkEzra will play at least one game of CM:SF in the next month, and will have a really enjoyable time and think to himself how glad he is that someone took the time to create such a game. I'm sincere when I say that I think it's great that such a thing will happen.

I just don't want to have to read about it. :mad:

I predict I will have the exact same experience, actually. ;)

War Game of the Year!

Only if it's giving by Jim Cobb, he gave the Editors Award and then Gamey of the Year to Distant Guns while the campaign wasn't even working. :rolleyes:

There has been alot of war games released this year but, so far no great ones yet!!

War Game of the War???

Carriers at War - too little content

Commander Europe at War - maybe!

TOW - I don't think so!

Shock Force - unfinished

American Civil War - didn't do it for me.

Guns of August 1914 - 1918 the last DOS games (I hope so).

Battlefront - too little content, feels unfinished.

Dorosh,

Uhm... I'm very sure that Mark started this thread to poke fun at the "I told you so" one by Flaco. I thought it was quite funny, actually, in that context.

Going off on Mark is not called for. He likes the game, he says so. I don't have a problem with that or (usually) with people saying the opposite. If someone gets abusive and what not, then we gots ourselves a bit of a problemo. I do tollerate people poking fun at Trolls to some extent, since that is what Trolls deserve (OK, they deserve worse, but this is a clean Forum ;) ). But even so it has to be kept within limits. Since Mark does not fit into that category, I ask that you lighten up and let him express himself without worrying about retribution.

Thanks,

Steve

Originally posted by drtechno:

??

For AI that sits in its deployment zone in 33% of the battles when its not defending? (I'm not talking QBs either)

Hardly.

But it does have potential for when its fixed.

You can actually fix it yourself!

Open the mission using the editor and create a more aggressive AI plan. I did that for Al Huqf and it works better now. You should play the user-made scenarios. I recommend Village of Trouble. Given this, the game has potential.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Dorosh,

Uhm... I'm very sure that Mark started this thread to poke fun at the "I told you so" one by Flaco. I thought it was quite funny, actually, in that context.

Going off on Mark is not called for. He likes the game, he says so. I don't have a problem with that or (usually) with people saying the opposite. If someone gets abusive and what not, then we gots ourselves a bit of a problemo. I do tollerate people poking fun at Trolls to some extent, since that is what Trolls deserve (OK, they deserve worse, but this is a clean Forum ;) ). But even so it has to be kept within limits. Since Mark does not fit into that category, I ask that you lighten up and let him express himself without worrying about retribution.

Thanks,

Steve

I'd have understood that a lot more if you would have done me the courtesy of putting that into a car analogy, but I suppose it is clear enough...

I'll be pleased when the board is past the point of arguing how much it rocks/how much it sucks and just gets down to talking about the game itself. I actually think it's getting there mostly. I think we've found a worthy successor to the Bren Tripod debate in the Stryker debate, however.

In the terminology of my esteemed American friends - chill the **** out Dorosh old boy!!

I enjoyed the 2002-3 Dorosh attitude a hell of a lot more - more humble, more informative, more dry humour. Maybe you're an alien imposter, maybe Mr Kettler can throw some light on this..... tongue.gif

Originally posted by Londoner:

In the terminology of my esteemed American friends - chill the **** out Dorosh old boy!!

I enjoyed the 2002-3 Dorosh attitude a hell of a lot more - more humble, more informative, more dry humour. Maybe you're an alien imposter, maybe Mr Kettler can throw some light on this..... tongue.gif

I almost forgot how absurd these forums can get it's been soooooooooo long. tongue.gif

So Anton I don't have your email anymore . . . write me an email (jjessejj@gmail.com) and tell me if CMSF is worth messing with. I've avoided it thus far since my brother declined to review it on the grounds that the coding was so sloppy and "beta" that he couldn't say anything good about it with a straight face (he writes reviews for PCGamer and CGM).

FYI, Dorosh wasn't any more interesting to read in 2003 than he is today. ahem ;)

This board sucks bad when it revolves around "this games sucks/rocks" posts, but is sucks even worse when it devolves into "this poster sucks" posts.

I do, however, nominate MarkEzra for Poster of the Year. Despite the beating he has taken - mostly from me - he has maintained his sense of humour and focus, something I don't claim to have done.

If someone could whip up some sort of avatar for him, I will be deeply grateful. What say you, Londoner, you must have some artistic talent in you. Discourse clearly isn't your bag. ;) And you're a lousy judge of character. tongue.gif

**beams back to the mothership to confer with his Kettlerian cohorts**

Hi,

Each to their own…but I am continually puzzled that anyone who was a fan of CMX1 is not a fan of CMX2.

I was and am such a fan of CMX1 that I was one of those that wished for CMX2 to maintain the same scale and scope/feel as CMX1, for CMX2 to be a more detailed, closely modelled CMX1 and to me it is just that. (Confusingly though… even Steve seems to think it is completely different…weird ;) )

Anyway… you have to look beneath the layer of bugs… CMSF was released prematurely for reasons Steve has explained. It has taken a huge knock from reviewers as a result.

But de-bugged and with the new Hotkey/ Function key arrangement is for me just a hugely improved/better CMX1…

Strangely I think many reviewers are more open minded than some of the critics here…. However they are less tolerant of the all the bugs.

Polished to the standard we all expect from BFC… CMSF will be by far the best wargame out there… in my view. (The only other game in town is the Panzer Command series from Matrix… but it is several clicks behind CM and does not pretend anything else.. but taken to maturity will be fun too…)

Now…where are those latest model T90s and BMP3s…. smile.gif .

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by walpurgis nacht:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Londoner:

I almost forgot how absurd these forums can get it's been soooooooooo long. tongue.gif

So Anton I don't have your email anymore . . . write me an email (jjessejj@gmail.com) and tell me if CMSF is worth messing with. I've avoided it thus far since my brother declined to review it on the grounds that the coding was so sloppy and "beta" that he couldn't say anything good about it with a straight face (he writes reviews for PCGamer and CGM).

FYI, Dorosh wasn't any more interesting to read in 2003 than he is today. ahem ;) </font>

Kip,

You know me well enough personally to know how much of a CM1 fan I am.

CMSF as released does not let me play fun battles against the AI (because QBs are broken with no unit picks) and playing by email is pretty tough with 15meg games files - I know because I am trying to do so!

That is without discussing the appalling unfinished state in which the game has been released, with many, many serious bugs that are apparent after playing for a very short time.

You seem to feel that Steve is somehow to be congratulated for admitting the that the game was not finished; I would have been preferred to know this before I preordered, and then decided whether to buy.

But I am only a paying customer relying on the reputation and track record of the designers, so what do I know?

Bottom line - the other day you declined to try to play a game of CMSF with me because you said the software was too buggy. Talk about fit for purpose?

I am sure wargame of the year was tongue in cheek - but disappointmemt of the year...maybe.

Originally posted by Londoner:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by walpurgis nacht:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Londoner:

FYI, Dorosh wasn't any more interesting to read in 2003 than he is today. ahem ;) </font>