What will be fixed in 1.05?

Guest Guest

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you felt that all they were doing was “spin” what is the point of giving “official answers”? By your own statement you’re not going to believe them anyway. I don’t think goading/insulting them into answering is going to work.

(Well it works for me, but remember I’m some kind of evil watch dog that hurts feelings or somefink) 2e5k5y1.gif

Personally, I think it was one of the better moves on BFC's part to stop pandering to some of the crazy whiners and only focus on the bigger priority, which is working on the product in hand. There were a number of posters that had coherent suggestions (AdamL, your included) and bugs that were addressed faster than any other company I've ever seen. Now that most of the ones that were never going to like the direction CM was headed have wandered off to complain about some other game, BFC is able to cherry pick the real items that can make this a better franchise.

2yo7tbt.jpg

Semper Fi

So the strategy is instead of answering questions about how the game is actually supposed to work, they will ignore us because they don't like a few posters. Ever heard of the baby, bathwater thing. Maybe the nose, spite face thing.

I just want to know how its supposed to work, along with several posters on this and the technical forum. I can't seperate bugs from features, or even how certain features are supposed to work.

You'll note ny postings have slowed significantly here. That is a sign of giving up. I thought once 1.04 was out, we may get some explanations on how units choose to fire, what the grid means to LOS, LOF, and individual soldiers, a little more detail how objectives work. I still think its more important to better explain how things work than correct bugs now. That would reduce the noise level significantly and save me wasting time working with stuff that doesn't work.

Some are arguing that only the frequent whiners have wandered off.

I'd put myself in a different camp. I was a huge fan of all the CMX1 games. As you can see from the #, I've been here from close to the beginning. I've been eagerly anticipating CM:SF for years, trusting in the "we'll release it when it's done" philosophy and the clear design genius shown in the earlier games.

I'd preordered CM:SF, even went with the deluxe edition to send more money Battlefront's way as a thanks for all the good times with CMX1.

Then CM:SF came out, and I was shocked at how buggy it was, how badly it played. I kept waiting for the next patch that would cause it to "gel", some mysterious combination of AI improvements, LOS fixes, etc that would create that old magic.

Now I'm far along in the process of giving up. I used to come by here every day, now I'll check in every few weeks. I'm increasingly doubtful that CMSF can be fixed - it seems like too many problems (for me, YMMV) are looking like fundamental design decisions to support Real-Time and the 8m LOS grid.

So please don't think that the traffic dropping off is solely due to the whiners leaving. Yes, some will see this post as whining, but I see it more as a longtime fan who's giving up on the current CM generation. I clearly "don't get it", and BF has made clear that I'm the kind of customer who they're willing to lose. I just hope that patch 1.0X or CM2:WWII will help me "get it" in the future.

Chris

Originally posted by dalem:

I still wouldn't mind a diagram of how the "action spot" junk really works. Until I see something concrete I'm left with a solid impression of hexes with center LOS dots.

-dale

Nowadays, when I move a squad around in a tight urban situation, I activate the target order to see exactly when the "center" of the squad "comes around the corner" so that I am prepared to cancel the movement order at the right time ... weird?!

At present, however, the worst is the shooting through terrain behavior. That one has to be sorted out!!!

Best regards,

Thomm

I've started playing SF again recently an I'm really enjoying it at the moment.

If you've not tried this it might be worth a look for some fun:

Play QB with Syrian vs Syrian with the QB map pack's maps, it's really fun because you get battles more like CMx1 games. No more magic IR picking off your units from a mile away just straight up combat.

Some things that could be fixed is more force customization in QB, a "fire weapon" command for just attacking with one weapon and the ability for units to move on their own when in danger or broken (added in surrendered routing units would be part of this).

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Nowadays, when I move a squad around in a tight urban situation, I activate the target order to see exactly when the "center" of the squad "comes around the corner" so that I am prepared to cancel the movement order at the right time ... weird?!

Good idea, though not exactly applicable to WEGO mode.

... I'm guessing this may be a factor in why a LOS tool is not built in like CMX1.

Not to be a "whiner" or negative or anything, but could we get at least some general timeline from BFC on when 1.05 is coming?

I mean will it be a week or two or will it be a month or two (or shudder...more)? I'm not asking for a "release date" or anything, just a rough timeline so I know when to check back.

Thanks!

Originally posted by thewood:

You'll note ny postings have slowed significantly here. That is a sign of giving up.

I was thinking the same thing. If CM SF is such a huge initial success, with more copies sold than CMx1 combined, why is this forum getting more and more lifeless by the minute? You would think there were all sorts of new fans that wanted to coem and talk about how great the game was, tactics, and equipment. But no, this is not happening.

I would not hold high hopes for any of the Modules' sale if I were BTS.

I pray WW2 can "salvage" CM for me.

buggy...bug-ridden...bugfest, always the same complaints.

I have been working through GeorgeMc's "Hammertime" WEGO v AI, now at turn 45 and CMSF with patch 1.04 is actually a very decent simulation which is an improvement in many ways over CMx1.

Back on topic, can we get a general timeframe on when 1.05 is expected to come out, are we talking weeks or months? I am trying to decide whether to start the campaign now or wait until 1.05 comes out.

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

I noticed that "Hammertime" has been dl'd over 1,000 times. Seems like somebody's playing rather than reading the forum.

Hammertime is the best user made scenario out there right now. Although I haven't downloaded one in two weeks.

btw, there have been a few versions of hammertime. Does the 1000 count the downloads of different versions?

Originally posted by istari:

Some are arguing that only the frequent whiners have wandered off.

I'd put myself in a different camp. I was a huge fan of all the CMX1 games. As you can see from the #, I've been here from close to the beginning. I've been eagerly anticipating CM:SF for years, trusting in the "we'll release it when it's done" philosophy and the clear design genius shown in the earlier games.

I'd preordered CM:SF, even went with the deluxe edition to send more money Battlefront's way as a thanks for all the good times with CMX1.

Then CM:SF came out, and I was shocked at how buggy it was, how badly it played. I kept waiting for the next patch that would cause it to "gel", some mysterious combination of AI improvements, LOS fixes, etc that would create that old magic.

Now I'm far along in the process of giving up. I used to come by here every day, now I'll check in every few weeks. I'm increasingly doubtful that CMSF can be fixed - it seems like too many problems (for me, YMMV) are looking like fundamental design decisions to support Real-Time and the 8m LOS grid.

So please don't think that the traffic dropping off is solely due to the whiners leaving. Yes, some will see this post as whining, but I see it more as a longtime fan who's giving up on the current CM generation. I clearly "don't get it", and BF has made clear that I'm the kind of customer who they're willing to lose. I just hope that patch 1.0X or CM2:WWII will help me "get it" in the future.

Chris

Don't know. Can't play it. Platform (Mac G4) too ancient. OS (Mac OS X - if we abandon any platform, it won't be the Mac) won't play it.

Haven't heard anything good. Know many players, including Beta Testers. Haven't heard anything good.

But I am waiting.

I think the problem here is that CMSF isn't what The People were waiting for. It wasn't the Game they wanted. It isn't the Game they thought they were going to get. It was the Game that could be made, not the Game that was promised.

But I still remember how amazing it was to play CMBO for the first time.

And I am waiting. I am not yet ready to give up.

I am waiting for the day

that maketh all things clear

and I am awaiting retribution

for what America did

to Tom Sawyer

and I am waiting

for the American Boy

to take off Beauty's clothes

and get on top of her

and I am waiting

for Alice in Wonderland

to retransmit to me

her total dream of innocence

and I am waiting

for Childe Roland to come

to the final darkest tower`

and I am waiting

for Aphrodite

to grow live arms

at a final disarmament conference

in a new rebirth of wonder

I am waiting

to get some intimations

of immortality

by recollecting my early childhood

and I am waiting

for the green mornings to come again

youth's dumb green fields come back again

and I am waiting

for some strains of unpremeditated art

to shake my typewriter

and I am waiting to write

the great indelible poem

and I am waiting

for the last long careless rapture

and I am perpetually waiting

for the fleeing lovers on the Grecian Urn

to catch each other up at last

and embrace

and I am awaiting

perpetually and forever

a renaissance of wonder

"I am Waiting"

-Lawrence Ferlinghetti

I am waiting, for Combat Mission to come back again.

In a new renaissance of wonder.