If only this new game were called anything but Combat Mission...

Guest BigAlMoho

Guest BigAlMoho

In my opinion, this new game is not "Combat Mission" version 2, it is "Something Else" version 1... In my opinion, there would have been very little controversy if the title had made it clear that this release is an entirely new game... In my opinion, calling this game Combat Mission is intentionally trying to cash in on past success in spite of the reality that "Combat Mission" died an ignominious death with the passing of the Mac as the programming platform of choice... Or, I just don't get it...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by BigAlMoho:

In my opinion, there would have been very little controversy if the title had made it clear that this release is an entirely new game

Yes they should have called it "Mario goes bananas in Syria" and released it on the Wii - then I'm sure it would have been all sweetness and light in these forums.

I think it has enough similarities with the original Combat Mission games to justify the CM before the SF.

But I feel the same way about Metallica. If they had changed the name of the band for "Load", they would have been this not-too-terrible rock band. Instead, they chose to stay "Metallica" and desecrated the greatness that they once were.

Or, I just don't get it...

They should've called it Kick Ass Mission...'cause that's what it does...kicks ass!

Sucks to be you though...I am loving it.

Mord.

Originally posted by Bradley Dick:

But I feel the same way about Metallica. If they had changed the name of the band for "Load", they would have been this not-too-terrible rock band. Instead, they chose to stay "Metallica" and desecrated the greatness that they once were.

Don't even get me started...

Mord.

Guest BigAlMoho
Originally posted by Mord:

Sucks to be you though...

Nope, it doesn't suck to be me, as it was pretty clear to me for months (years?) that I wasn't going to spend another nickle on Battlefront.com products as long as the real Combat Mission went unfinished...

I am loving it.

In your opinion...

Guest BigAlMoho

I think it has enough similarities with the original Combat Mission games to justify the CM before the SF.

In your opinion...

In my opinion, Metallica lowered the bar so that more people would "get it" but they alienated a large share of the fans that made them successful... The irony here is that "Load" finally made them listenable to me... hhmmm... Metallica Lite?

Guest BigAlMoho

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BigAlMoho:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

I am loving it.

In your opinion... </font>

I think what nearly sunk CMSF was... this board! They simply started the chat group much too early. Two full years of built-up fantasy expectations. ToW, by contrast only had a few months to feed off its own energy. Add to that the CMx1 zealots who even demand they keep the BAD stuff about the games! I suggested to someone that after v1.03 is released this board could possibly experience some sort of 'unforeseen crash' and start up again with a clean slate. :rolleyes:

The whole "it's not Combat Mission" thing kinda cracks me up. It's like someone looking at Star Wars Empire Strikes Back and saying it isn't a Star Wars movie becuase there is no Death Star.

Yeah, CMx2 is different than CMx1... that's the whole point of "new". There were more differences between the Sim City games than any of the CM games, but I don't think anybody thought that they shouldn't be called the same thing.

It's a silly position to take. Of course that is just my opinion :D

Steve

P.S. Metallica redeemed themselves with St. Anger. I've even come to like Load and ReLoad, but it took me years to get to that point.

Redeemed themselves? Steve, no. I applaud Metallica's attempt to go for a rougher sound with St. Anger. Was it as good as any of their past albums (pre-Load)? I don't think so. But at least they TRIED to get back to something respectable.

They should just call themselves Nu Metallica and be done with it. That way, you can enjoy the semi-decent music without feeling that deep hatred for messing up a good thing.

Saint Anger? Saint Anger?! That was the biggest pile of suck to ever suck suckage!

James Hetfield; Hey lets record this puppy on a cassette player dropped in a trash can! We'll grind on our instruments like 13 year old epileptics having a seizure, and I'll scream like someone set my nuts on fire with a blow torch! That should make us sound metal again!

When metal heads seek therapy and talk about their "feelings", and THEN film it...it's time to crash the band plane into a mountain somewhere...maybe eat each other to survive. Record that ****! I'd buy it!...be better than anything they've done since Injustice.

Mord.

P.S. Yeah, yeah, yeah...my opinion...BUT it's a good one!

Guest BigAlMoho

They should just call themselves Nu Metallica and be done with it. That way, you can enjoy the semi-decent music without feeling that deep hatred for messing up a good thing.

"Nü Combat Mission"? Brilliant! In my opinion...

BigAlMoho, you were incorrect when saying "in your opinion" to Mords "I am loving it". He is correct. It is a fact (according to him) that he is loving not an opinion. If he had said "it is a great game" them you could say "in your opinion" but only he knows if he loves it or not and if he does love it then it is a fact not an opinion.

Metallica sucks by the way.

(pissy mood today...perhaps I should shut up)

Guest BigAlMoho
Originally posted by Elvis:

BigAlMoho, you were incorrect when saying "in your opinion" to Mords "I am loving it". He is correct. It is a fact (according to him) that he is loving not an opinion. If he had said "it is a great game" them you could say "in your opinion" but only he knows if he loves it or not and if he does love it then it is a fact not an opinion.

Elvis,

Yes, I cringed a bit when I reread that but:

The phrase "I am loving it." is not a statement of fact, it is an expression of emotion... Unless this love he is talking about is absolute, then it lies somewhere along the sliding scale between hate and love... It then follows that it is his opinion concerning where along that scale this emotion lies... Facts are proveable, opinions are variable... In my opinion... At this time...

Ah, me thinks people are going to hard on St. Anger, especially when compared to 99.9% of the other "metal" out there (which is complete trash). Puppets was definitely their best (in my opinion ;) ). And to date myself... I got Ride the Lightning when it was only out for a few months :D Saw them on the Justice tour, but lost all interest in seeing bands live after that due to expense and general hassle factor.

Now you want to talk about a band that fumbled and didn't recover... Pink Floyd, now there's a sad story!

Steve

is not a statement of fact, it is an expression of emotion... Unless this love he is talking about is absolute,

Oh, it is. I proposed a little while ago...we are looking at a fall wedding. And with a little luck, and some heavy petting, come spring we will be blessed with a bundle of little combat mission joys...Love is grand!

Mord.