4 new videos

sgtgoody (esq),

Appreciate the info on M1's acoustic signature. I read the early reports from Europe in which M1s simply swept in at night and overran positions before the defenders could even react. The turbine whine was barely audible when compared to the bellowing rumble of the M60 series tanks. Have been around an M88, which was loud, and a Bradley, which was deafeningly so. About as stealthy as an artillery barrage. No wonder my brother and his buddies envied the Bundeswehr lads and their Luchs!

Moon,

Good to know! Excellent point regarding effects of sound compression. Love the Middle Easternish theme music! Have now seen the four videos, and I am quite impressed. Relative to CMAK and such, the visuals are positively heart stopping. Am expecting lots of PTSD cases--in both war vets and typical gamers alike! The Kornet is lightning fast if you're used to watching much slower TOW flights, as I am. The firefight scene conveys combat in a way the old CM hands have never seen before, and I predict we'll soon find people with the MGS screaming over its small ammo capacity, just like some do now about Marders and such.

If those are grenade detonations in the firefight, shouldn't we see the detonation flash, followed immediately by a blackish burst, rather than as shown? Maybe the explosives are different, but the basic description holds for WW II and Vietnam.

Impressive trailer!

Severin,

Concur! Like the spring in their steps as they move. Conveys fitness.

Regards,

John Kettler

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

During "thunder run" the M1 fires and it looks like a 2d sprite is used to represent muzzle flash. Reminds me of DOOM. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. Anyone else see that?

My aplogies if this has been covered. I'm new.

The more videos the better! Keep em coming. Adding videos to youTube is an excellent marketing tactic. Just excellent.

Cool vids and yes that is a 2D sprite used in all the explosions (place holder?) and it has been used in many games.

In the "firefight" video I like how they're all just set to attack the patch of ground in front of them not an enemy (maybe there's an enemy there?).

If you pause the playback after the action phase in game can you look at the missiles in flight and are they detailed?

Lots to be pleased about in the latest vids. For one, the suspension issues in earlier vids seem to have been ironed out. For those missing the CM:BO shockwave there even seems to be a very realistic looking shockwave effect when the Bradley gets hit by the missile. Can't wait to play the game.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/" target="_blank">

event.png

</a>

Very nice vids, they do credit to what is obviously a LOT of work. I'm looking forward to the game.

However two points:

Firstly, in 'Firefight', the soldiers seem to be very slow reloading. Its quite a contrast to the speed of the rest of the action as they slowly reach back to grab a fresh mag and very leasurly do the actual reloading thing... I dont know personally, but my guess is that they would be pretty pumped up in such a situation.

Secondly, the syncronised movement of large groups of wind blown leaves on the trees looks rather odd....

Regards,

Nice videos. Just one thing: in the ATGM video (during and after the second missile launch) the sirian team is targeted by hostile fire and by looking at the size of the explosions seems like they're fired upon by a 30mm Bradley's gun. Despite one of the bullets had hit the ground few centimeters in front of the man on the left they doesn't seems to be affected by any kind of suppression/shraphnel effect.

BTW very nice videos. I'm looking forward to CM:SF.

I almost posted the same question.

I guess it's not a 30mmHE cause it would have

had a bigger explosion. .50 fire maybe? HEAT ammo?

Originally posted by Klavan:

Nice videos. Just one thing: in the ATGM video (during and after the second missile launch) the sirian team is targeted by hostile fire and by looking at the size of the explosions seems like they're fired upon by a 30mm Bradley's gun. Despite one of the bullets had hit the ground few centimeters in front of the man on the left they doesn't seems to be affected by any kind of suppression/shraphnel effect.

BTW very nice videos. I'm looking forward to CM:SF.

Originally posted by Flanker15:

Shockwave! How did you see the effect the screen is all blurry and low res?

Well it looked like a shock wave to me. In the first couple of hundred milliseconds after the warhead goes off you can see a rapidly expanding dome moving out from the impact point, which very quickly disappears to be replaced by the fireball.

I also noticed that the fireball seems to be affected by the wind, drifting downwind slightly as it rises.

Regarding the person who posted about the ammo reloading animation looking a bit leisurely, I have to agree. I imagine this is something that can be easily changed simply by modifying how long to pause between frames. Perhaps the arm movement to the ammo pouch can be speeded up but the amount of time actually routing around for a fresh clip extended to keep the reload time the same.

Klavan wrote:

I have not noticed in any of the videos released so far, any kind "suppression reaction" or ducking for cover exhibited by troops. Troops in CMx1 hit the dirt when incoming fire reached a level high enough to affect morale. But often, if the fire was light enough, they would do nothing.

Part of what is making this current video (of the ATGM crew not flinching with incoming fire) is that the squad is modelled 1:1. This opens up a can of worms of course, as now we expect individual behaviour to specific events.

This may not be doable, as that would mean more animations required, more often (for every other bullet whizzing by). Though I see your point that this seems to be a fairly large explosion. It's an interesting choice. One where the developers may have chosen to keep that aspect more of an abstraction.

Things are looking amazing, eh? smile.gif

Gpig

Cowering animations were not in yet when the video was taken. They're in now. Look at the one screen that Michael Dorosh posted recently, it's showing a cowering soldier, and usually a close impact like from the Bradley chaingun in that video would have given you that reaction in the current beta build we have.

Martin

I think that the M1 sounds are spot-on. The loudest thing you usually hear is the sqeeky tracks, not the engine. The firing animation is also very realistic. I am a happy gamer!!!Cant wait to play with one.

BTW, I have been back from my deployment for about a month now..Its great to be back

Guys, iirc infantry do receive a slight cover bonus to represent miscellaneous cover that is not visually represented directly in game. Ive played that scenario about 100 times as I made it as a test firing range for various vehicles and once spotted those ATGM crews usually get chewed up badly by the M2s. As such I think what you are seeing here is one very lucky soldier!